Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The 1901 Lounge: The emptiest place in the park!

Well, the proof that recent changes within Club 33 have not been well received have surfaced and the cream atop of the bucket isn't very tasty, in fact, it's pretty darn sour.
    When George Kalogridis and TDA initiated the 2012 membership changes to Club 33, there were a lot of raised eyebrows. Most members, including yours truly, were pretty astonished at such a bold cash grab and outright slovenly treatment of gold members. Principle dictated what a slap in the face it was to exclude gold members from the The 1901 Lounge unless they upgraded to platinum, which of course, for most of us, just isn't worth the extra money. It's actually an embarrassment.
    Most of us have stood our ground and while some did succumb to the temptation, most did not, have not, and will not.
    Now, the waiting list of potential members has been completely wiped out and tossed aside like a coffee soaked paper towel.
    If you want to join Club 33, just schedule an appointment, take the tour, talk to the pretty young tour guide, hand over your check for $35K and your card will be in the mail. Just that simple. Just that fast! Boom! You're in.
    Gone is the 8 to 18 year waiting list, gone are the unlimited comp'd entries, and to me, gone is the magic. What was once a hidden jewel within the park has become low quality, micro plated jewelry, to be sold at any Main Street gift shop.
    As for 1901, we'll I've been in numerous times and it's pretty much empty. I've never seen more than a few guests inside and it's just plain sad.
    What's even more sad is that had the original gold members been given access, grandfathered in, the place would be generating serious revenue for the park, more guests would be able to enjoy the place, and gosh darn it, it would sure be a lot of fun. I'd be there dolling out dollars, but I won't pay a ridiculous amount for the privilege.
    To George and TDA, I say thanks for the red hand print on the side of my face. The men and ladies who have supported and paid large amounts to join and sustain Club 33 since 1967 certainly deserve better treatment. Remember, you can mistreat guests only so far, but sooner or later, they will not allow such treatment and the cash flow will cease. Seeking out higher paying members may be fine short term, but it will always be the original members who bring in the largest groups of true Disney fans, those who don't mind shelling out $100.00 for a meal barely comparable to Ruth's Chris or even your own Napa Rose! Yes, most of my friends have stopped visiting the club stating the food at Napa Rose is much more creative with a wider selection and more frequent seasonal changes.
    And for the love of Mickey, tell the club staff to smile once in a while. Man, the place is like walking into a morgue. Grumpy faces filing by carrying comically sized portions on over-sized plates, it's pretty funny in a most satirical way. The turn over rate of club staff also dictates there is a major issue within which is not being handled by Disney management.
    Seems like every time I visit there is someone gone and someone new to replace them. The ol' place never used to be like this.
    OK, that's my gripe, sorry it's not all pixie dust and happy smiles, but it needs to be said and I'm certainly not afraid to do so.
    TDA needs to restructure their business model of 'making more with less', less being fewer cast members and more being increased prices. That business model has never been successful long term and Walt didn't build the company to see it prostituted in this manner.
    I posted this here for a reason, as I want it to be seen and discussed. I'm not content to be meek and discuss this on a Facebook page which most can't locate or have access to.
    I'd actually like it to be tossed upon the table of the board of directors and not used as a coaster, but seriously discussed as to how management within the park needs to be addressed and treatment of guests needs to be improved.
    And yes, I'll probably renew for 2013 but it's truly with the hopes that things will change and someone will have the gumption to step in and correct the issues. Please, someone needs to grab the reins from George and TDA and get things back on track. Laurels are for decor and winning athletes, not something to ride upon.

Re: The 1901 Lounge: The emptiest place in the park!

are you sure the waiting list has been wiped out? I sent a letter and an email and cant get a reply to even get on the club 33 waitlist, let alone become a member.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    To George and TDA, I say thanks for the red hand print on the side of my face. The men and ladies who have supported and paid large amounts to join and sustain Club 33 since 1967 certainly deserve better treatment.
    If you look closely, you'll see it's a left-handed slap.

They were busy with their right hands slapping their employees by canceling the traditional Christmas parties.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

It's now referred to a Holiday party... don't want to offend anyone with saying "Christmas". Todays companies.... got to love em'
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by txdisney View Post
    are you sure the waiting list has been wiped out? I sent a letter and an email and cant get a reply to even get on the club 33 waitlist, let alone become a member.
    I have friends who are on the wait list from March and June and both have been told they have a while to wait. They have closed the executive membership. And if you are executive, you can't add any affiliates.

As for 1901 being empty, when we were there Dec 6th-9th, it was quite busy each time we stopped in. On Friday, at 2pm, there were probably 30 people in there. On Saturday, about 1pm, it was packed and there was no place for us to sit, so we left to come back later. Sunday morning at 1030am, there were about 15 people there. We stopped in before we headed home.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

A close friend of ours just received his membership. All he did was submit a letter and within a month they called them for a tour and stuck out their hand for a check. Simple, easy, really cheesy! No patience or dedication involved.
    Most of the time if you see a large group in 1901 it's a tour group, being guided by the park, trying desperately to talk newbies into joining.
    The real Disney magic is watching 35K vanish before your eyes. Poof! Gone! When you reach into the hat to draw out the rabbit, sadly, it's probably going to bite you and then charge you for the rabies exam. Of course, you'll have to pay to have the rabbit droppings removed from the hat, then pay for their disposal and then pay again to re-fill the rabbit with carrot shavings left over from the Disney bakery's Plaza Inn carrot cake. Which by the way is simply terrible. Wow, they really destroyed that wonderful Plaza Inn mainstay. The chicken however is still great!
    I realize that I sound like Statler and Waldorf from the Muppet show, but, I'm old and therefore entitled to complain when something needs to be complained about. That or I'll just blame it on the bear. I just hope the club doesn't start selling Cuisses de Grenouille à la Provençale ala Kermit
    '
    Name:  fried frog leg(1).jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  38.0 KB

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I have friends who are on the wait list from March and June and both have been told they have a while to wait. They have closed the executive membership. And if you are executive, you can't add any affiliates.

As for 1901 being empty, when we were there Dec 6th-9th, it was quite busy each time we stopped in. On Friday, at 2pm, there were probably 30 people in there. On Saturday, about 1pm, it was packed and there was no place for us to sit, so we left to come back later. Sunday morning at 1030am, there were about 15 people there. We stopped in before we headed home.
    Is it worth seeing 1901? I have just recently heard of it, and from what I hear it's basically just a bar, which might explain was it can be empty at times... but does it offer any magic or history, like the club those, for those that appreciate an atmosphere like Club 33? Hopefully this makes sense.
    Last edited by KellyMcG86; 12-20-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

And yes, I'll probably renew for 2013 but it's truly with the hopes that things will change and someone will have the gumption to step in and correct the issues. Please, someone needs to grab the reins from George and TDA and get things back on track. Laurels are for decor and winning athletes, not something to ride upon.
    Is there any thing you enjoy from your membership? Did you enjoy the Voices Event? The Studio tour? Oktoberfest? Walts Apartment tour? Candlelight?

I am sad that you are so negative about this. While I agree with you that the change has been major, and that not all of it has been great, there have been many very good points. Did you enjoy the buffet for Candlelight? It was absolutely amazing. Even the Golds I know felt it was better than the previous years dinners.

I agree it isn't all pixie dust, but it isn't all sour grapes either. As far as tours in 1901, the tours I have seen in there are part of the membership package. I have only seen Ms. C touring a possible new member once, and she was in and out quickly.

I'm sorry you are so negative. It really doesn't sound like you are finding the Club financially worthwhile. If you really are this upset, you should vote with your wallet.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Closed Account

It is amusing to read such an overwhelmingly negative post, and yet conclude, "And yes, I'll probably renew for 2013."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    It is amusing to read such an overwhelmingly negative post, and yet conclude, "And yes, I'll probably renew for 2013."
    Not renewing would be an admission that recently past renewals were errors.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Not renewing would be an admission that recently past renewals were errors.
    Good point.

First world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    First world problems.
    That applies to every complaint about Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    That applies to every complaint about Disneyland.
    HA!...Good point.

Club 33 members complaining about benefit and service cuts is the same problem as the AP holders complaining about price hikes and blackout days which is the same complaint as the visiting family complaining about the cost of the Turkey legs...see a theme?...all stemming from the same change in philosophy and all these problems affect all Disneyland visitors. Be careful not to discredit one segment's discontent.

Well, the proof that recent changes within Club 33 have not been well received have surfaced and the cream atop of the bucket isn't very tasty, in fact, it's pretty darn sour...
    ...As for 1901, we'll I've been in numerous times and it's pretty much empty. I've never seen more than a few guests inside and it's just plain sad.
    What's even more sad is that had the original gold members been given access, grandfathered in, the place would be generating serious revenue for the park, more guests would be able to enjoy the place, and gosh darn it, it would sure be a lot of fun. I'd be there dolling out dollars, but I won't pay a ridiculous amount for the privilege.
    1901 is intended to be a refuge away from the crowds, that Platinum members can use without making reservations. While it might be generally underutilized, it's purpose is not to sell $10 drinks -- 1901 is part of a package of benefits to sell memberships.

...As for 1901 being empty, when we were there Dec 6th-9th, it was quite busy each time we stopped in. On Friday, at 2pm, there were probably 30 people in there. On Saturday, about 1pm, it was packed and there was no place for us to sit, so we left to come back later. Sunday morning at 1030am, there were about 15 people there.
    The Club 33 Candlelight dinner packages certainly brought more members to the park that usual.

A close friend of ours just received his membership. All he did was submit a letter and within a month they called them for a tour and stuck out their hand for a check. Simple, easy, really cheesy! No patience or dedication involved.
    This is exactly what "George and TDA" want. I'm sure your friend reviewed the club benefits, including the uncrowded 1901 lounge.

...Did you enjoy the buffet for Candlelight? It was absolutely amazing. Even the Golds I know felt it was better than the previous years dinners.
    The question is for the OP, but I thought the buffet was awesome. My favorite meal ever at DLR, and over the years I have dined at every restaurant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast