Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63
  1. #46

    • The Lucky Rabbit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    258

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    I know we will be finding out if this rumor is true soon. Last time I was in the park several CM's had told me that Microsoft as well as several other sponsors of Innoventions renewed their sponsorship contracts for two more years and that the "Iron Man" attraction footprint would envelop the Autopia and The Finding Nemo Subs. Take it with a grain of salt though.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

  2. #47

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    102

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    It is a little painful to see tomorrow land not be about tomorrow. I'm guessing that in the 60's it was easier to dream up something futuristic. I wish they would take this space back in time to make it something like it was originally. I'm already contradicting my self. I think the saddest thing about Walt's passing was the loss of EPCOT. Who knows if he could have never made it happen. It could have meant so much for all of us if it did pan out as the city of tomorrow. Maybe, it wouldn't have. Maybe it would have been another big risk he took but this time around it would have been a big enough failure to bankrupt the company. Even today, watching his presentation on it blows me away. I would love to see an attraction in side the world of that city.Name:  epcotmodel.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  33.8 KBName:  epcotmodel.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  33.8 KB
    Last edited by Esteban; 12-21-2012 at 01:03 PM.

  3. #48

    • The Lucky Rabbit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    258

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    @Esteban Well your idea at it's heart is not a contradiction. As someone who is obsessed with Walt's original vision for EPCOT, and just recently got to talk to one of the Imagineers whose job it was to try reinterpreting it for what we know as Epcot, I think they could do something similar accept an updated version.

    It could easily fit within the supposed "Iron Man" footprint as a side attraction. I know one of the main rumors is that part of Tommorowland would be themed as the "Stark Expo", and it would be interesting to see an updated version of EPCOT with proposed future technologies.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

  4. #49

    • Inappropriate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,429

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    The sad thing is, Innoventions was the closest thing we had to Walt's original vision of Tomorrowland, and I treated it like the the Elephant Graveyard. Every time I looked at it, James Earl Jones would pop up and say "You must never go there." And when I would go inside, I would just think, Crap! James was right!
    I don't know what the answer is for Tomorrowland. I've just convinced myself that it's secretly called Sci-Fi Land, and then everything works, except for the freeway ride. But yeah, hopefully Innoventions gets the boot. Something better can stand in its place. Like Walt said, "Tomorrow is a heck of a thing to keep up with," and that's exponentially as relevant today as it was back when he said it.

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  5. #50

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,870

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by OswaldTheRabbit View Post
    I know we will be finding out if this rumor is true soon. Last time I was in the park several CM's had told me that Microsoft as well as several other sponsors of Innoventions renewed their sponsorship contracts for two more years and that the "Iron Man" attraction footprint would envelop the Autopia and The Finding Nemo Subs. Take it with a grain of salt though.

    Sounds like mixed signals to the CMs like you said with a grain of salt. It would be horrible if they took out Innoventions, Autopia and the subs for one attraction but who knows what the plan really is. I know Al's update a while back told us about the Iron Man attraction that would replace innoventions.

  6. #51

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    I think the question should be, "If it closed tomorrow, would anyone even notice?"
    Life is far too short for bland food!


    Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

  7. #52

    • Parking Lot > DCA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    The sad thing is, Innoventions was the closest thing we had to Walt's original vision of Tomorrowland, and I treated it like the the Elephant Graveyard. Every time I looked at it, James Earl Jones would pop up and say "You must never go there." And when I would go inside, I would just think, Crap! James was right!
    I don't know what the answer is for Tomorrowland. I've just convinced myself that it's secretly called Sci-Fi Land, and then everything works, except for the freeway ride. But yeah, hopefully Innoventions gets the boot. Something better can stand in its place. Like Walt said, "Tomorrow is a heck of a thing to keep up with," and that's exponentially as relevant today as it was back when he said it.
    My favorite post of the thread so far!

  8. #53

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,870

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    The sad thing is, Innoventions was the closest thing we had to Walt's original vision of Tomorrowland, and I treated it like the the Elephant Graveyard. Every time I looked at it, James Earl Jones would pop up and say "You must never go there." And when I would go inside, I would just think, Crap! James was right!
    I don't know what the answer is for Tomorrowland. I've just convinced myself that it's secretly called Sci-Fi Land, and then everything works, except for the freeway ride. But yeah, hopefully Innoventions gets the boot. Something better can stand in its place. Like Walt said, "Tomorrow is a heck of a thing to keep up with," and that's exponentially as relevant today as it was back when he said it.

    One thing I always wondered is why there is a negative tone about the sci-fi land aspect of the area. The actual defintion of Science fiction isn't bad for tomorrowland is it? Perhaps the way TL is presented to us we associate it with Nemo and Buzz Lightyear but those of use who love sci-fi probably do not see it this way. There isn't much futuristic about Buzz or Nemo, Autopia, Captain EO, Innoventions in it;s current state. Star Tours and Space Mountain, Astro orbitor, The monorail seem to fit the theme and they are sci-fi in theory aren't they? If we look at attractions that have closed I would think they fit the sci-fi mold as well. ATIS, rocket to the moon, mission to mars to name some.

    Definition of science fiction
    noun

    [mass noun] fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

  9. #54

    • Inappropriate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,429

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    One thing I always wondered is why there is a negative tone about the sci-fi land aspect of the area. The actual defintion of Science fiction isn't bad for tomorrowland is it? Perhaps the way TL is presented to us we associate it with Nemo and Buzz Lightyear but those of use who love sci-fi probably do not see it this way. There isn't much futuristic about Buzz or Nemo, Autopia, Captain EO, Innoventions in it;s current state. Star Tours and Space Mountain, Astro orbitor, The monorail seem to fit the theme and they are sci-fi in theory aren't they? If we look at attractions that have closed I would think they fit the sci-fi mold as well. ATIS, rocket to the moon, mission to mars to name some.

    Definition of science fiction
    noun

    [mass noun] fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.
    I think you just made a breakthrough here. Tomorrowland is no longer OUR Tomorrow. But it can easily be based on fictional views of tomorrow. I always felt this way about WDW. Once Epcot was built and had a Future World, Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland was off the hook for being based in reality. We don't have an Epcot here, but the thought can be the same. Rockets, space travel, alien worlds, talking fish, why not?

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  10. #55

    • Sorcerer Supreme Bean
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,199

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    Its easier to keep it based on Science Fiction than actual Science fact.

    See Discoveryland in DLP for an example.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

  11. #56

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    704

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    I won't mind if TL gets a sci-fi theme, it already has Star Tour. But it should not get renamed to Sci-Fi land. I have mix feeling about getting rid of the Carousel Theater. It has it's history and I like how the bottom floor rotates. But I think it is time for new structures here and through out TL. I won't be okay if the Subs and Autopia are taken out completely. I'm okay if Nemo leaves and if the Autopia gets down-sized.

  12. #57

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,646

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    Today's science fiction could be tomorrow's science fact.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  13. #58

    • Say no to screens
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    2741 Buena Vista St.
    Posts
    1,264

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    ^so let the imagination soar
    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

  14. #59

    • Down Pluto!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,311

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    The real reason Innoventions is closing...

    ...is so they can install a loop.







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  15. #60

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Innovations Closing in Feb 2013

    Science fiction for Tomorrowland is just fine, but there's science fiction, and space fantasy. Star Tours, being based on Star Wars, is space fantasy, not science fiction. Much the same with Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, which is based on an animated toy's backstory. There are many different types of science fiction, but the type that best fits Tomorrowland is called "hard science fiction," which is characterized by an emphasis on scientific or technical detail, or on scientific accuracy, or on both. Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, and Ben Bova's Grand Tour series of novels are good examples of hard SF.

    Why is hard SF the better fit for Tomorrowland? Well, because it's more plausible and realistic, and most of the ideas in it can more likely become reality in the future. In fact, many hard SF writers take their cues from futurists and scientists.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MiceAge 10th Anniversary Celebration - Feb 1, 2, 3 2013 - Join The Fun!!!
    By Dustysage in forum Contests, Meets and Events
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM
  2. [Question] Jan/Feb Opening/Closing Times and other questions
    By cns in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 03:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •