View Poll Results: How can Disneyland improve? (Vote for more than 1.)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove the abandoned Peoplemover track.

97 50.52%
  • Move the Astro-orbiter back to the top of the PMvr bldg

101 52.60%
  • Bring back the Golden Horseshoe Revue

56 29.17%
  • Make the Small World dolls targets & add laser guns.

18 9.38%
  • Get rid of the rocks at the Tomorrowland entry.

76 39.58%
  • Make Captain Hook face character.

27 14.06%
  • Get rid of Innoventions

127 66.15%
  • Get rid of Captain EO

89 46.35%
  • Lower prices (Be specific in thread, please.)

60 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: What at Disneyland needs to be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    Better food.
    This x1000000000000

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    They should rename this site to: disney-blasphemy-online.com
    I have to agree, at least a little. Some are very quick to just blow up what is not just Disneyland, but California and US History. For what? A more exciting roller coaster?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Better food.
    Kinda nit picky but I say get rid of the sweet potato fries at Hungry Bear..blegh. That used to be my favorite place to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Kinda nit picky but I say get rid of the sweet potato fries at Hungry Bear..blegh. That used to be my favorite place to eat.
    The last time I went to Disneyland and ate at a bunch of sit down restaurants, I found the food way too salty. My ideal meal is fish or meat along with a veggie, which is still tough to find in DL. I don't mine carbs in the morning for breakfast, but I don't want to eat a meal in the middle the day that will make me sleepy by 2p.

The best food I had at my last Disneyland trip was at that Jazz Kitchen place in Downtown Disney. Their brunch was amazing.

Downtown Disney District Restaurant : Traditional New Orleans Cuisine : Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen Restaurant in Anaheim, California

I like the sweet potato fries. I think they're part of what they're finally starting to get right when it comes to food.

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I like the sweet potato fries. I think they're part of what they're finally starting to get right when it comes to food.
    While sweat potato fries taste great, if I'm gonna eat junk food in a theme park, just bring on the chocolate

While sweat potato fries taste great
    Gross. Hahaha.

Just a few things at the top of my list:

1) Remove the tall trees behind sleeping beauty castle, it throws off the forced perspective from Main Street
    2) Replace/Redesign the Matterhorn Bobsleds' track to smooth out those jarring turns
    3) Add padding/cushioning to Bobsleds.
    4) Remove the Peoplemover track
    5) Return Astro Orbiter to its rightful place
    6) Reconfigure Fastpass for Indy: Allow Standby through the temple to free up space in AL. Fastpass should follow along wide exit path and meet up near station.
    7) Second parking structure should be built to ease the parking situation
    8) Lower prices for Merch and Food. Affordable=more purchases=more $
    9) Merchandise selection.
    10) Tomorrowland

Other than that Disneyland is fine to me!

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

• ~

Tomorrowland is in dire need of attention, imagination, originality, and creativity. It has slipped from being a land dedicated to the innovation and promise of the future to being a land only offering occasional glimpses into this original intention, the rest of the land focusing on Pixar characters, video games, and a dated vision of what the future was thought to be. And that's why this is the first land to address when asking the question of what needs to be fixed in the park. The submarines need to be rethemed an attraction that actually involves exploring the undiscovered parts of the ocean and the implications of what we might find there in the future or removed all together. I like the kinetic energy that they add to the land and the look of the lagoon, so I would be in favor of a retheme instead of a removal. Something needs with that atrocious outdoors portion of the Space Mountain queue that's currently nothing but a giant concrete slab. I love the rest of the Space Mountain queue, it's highly effective at transporting you to a space station orbiting millions of miles above the Earth, and the pre-fastpass portion of the queue needs to equal this immersion. The restoration of the People Mover track (even if it means tearing the current track down and building a new one) would bring the desperately needed kinetic energy to the land, and once again by a physical metaphor of our constant innovation and progress into the future. However, if that track will never be restored, it should at least be removed instead of sitting to rot for an indefinite period of time. I would be in favor of demolishing Autotopia, as the future of travel that it's portraying has become a modern day reality. If it must stay, it should be rethemed to driving around a futuristic city and the car, if possible, should be converted to electric models. The queue should be rethemed to showcases the promises of advancements in motor vehicles and transportation in the future. The original Rocket Jets should return along with their former position far above the ground and further into the land, removing the Astro Orbitor from its current location along with those congestion-causing rocks that create chaos entering and emerging from the land, finally allowing Tomorrowland to breathe. The Starcade is a convenient place to take a nice, air-conditioned break, but I would be in favor of demolishing it if the space were needed for a new attraction as it doesn’t really evoke a sense of tomorrow. Pizza Port should either be demolished or should start serving better quality food. Tomorrowland also needs the addition of several new original, non-franchised based attractions such as a reincarnation of Adventures Thru Inner Space with updated technology or an attraction exploring the possibilities and implications of time travel. As far as franchised-based rides, a TRON/TRON: Legacy, Iron Man, or Wall-E rides could potentially be good attractions depending on the execution. A TRON/TRON: Legacy attraction would need to explore and explain the possibility of traveling into a computer and the progression of digital technology instead of being all about zipping around on light cycles. An Iron Man attraction would need to focus on the technology of the suit and the promises of clean energy instead of just fighting villains. And a Wall-E attraction would need to focus on sustainability and the promise of a beautiful tomorrow in the future instead of the cuteness of the robot and a negative view of the future. If franchises are to be brought in, it should be one of those three and done in an appropriate manner. I think that only one more franchise-based attraction should be brought into the land and the rest should be original stories and experiences. Innovations, Captain EO, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters should permanently be sent to the past, probably to joined by the Starcade, Autotopia, and Pizza Port, and perhaps by the subs.

Over in Frontierland, a restoration of Tom Sawyer’s Island is needed to return to its former glory. They should officially send the pirate overlay to yesterland and rebuild icons like Fort Wilderness to be enjoyed by this generation. The Golden Horseshoe should be the home to a new show the quality level of the Golden Horseshoe Revue. It’s a shame that there’s not really room for a full reincarnation of Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland in Frontierland. Although Big Thunder Mountain is a well-themed coaster, the slow-moving, environment-intensive rides like Mine Train allows the Guest to savor each little detail. Frontierland could benefit greatly from something like that. I think that at the very least, a condensed version would suffice, featuring the highlights of the original attraction like the Rainbow Caverns and a rebuild of iconic Cascade Peak.

Toon Town is another problem area in the park. For a land that’s supposed to be continually bright and energetic, this land lacks pizzazz and feels uninspired. Get the Jolly Trolley up and running again, adding spirit and kinetic energy as it meanders along the streets, emphasizing the bright, cheery, silly spirit of the land. Start updating the houses. Get something going on in that land that warrants the trip back there, besides Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin and Mickey’s House.

Restore Pirates of the Caribbean to its former glory by removing all movie tie-ins and references to Captain Jack Sparrow. If not all, at least let the Jack Sparrow appearances be more subtle. Let us ride the attraction without hearing his name ten times. Return the original plot of the ride to a treasure hunt. Remove Barbossa and return the Wicked Wench’s original captain. Remove the misters with Blackbeard and Davy Jones and let darkness return to the caverns with the original "perhaps ye knows too much" dialogue which is ten times more chilling and memorable than Davy Jones or Blackbeard could ever hope to be.

Either convert Tarzan’s Tree House back to Swiss Family Robison Tree House or a third incarnation of the tree house that reflects the same levels of immersiveness and adventure offered by SFRTH. Send the passive experience of Tarzan’s tree house to yesteryear and make the tree house a place where imagination once again thrives.

Put the line back inside Indiana Jones so that the beautiful queue may be properly admired and used as originally intended. I also think that a restoration of attraction’s original "ice effect" in the overlook room would be a really neat effect to the ride.

Fix the ceiling on "it’s a small world". Make it less obvious and more visually appealing. Remove the Disney characters whose presence only cheapens and commercializes the experience and marginalizes the children of the world. Ideally, I'd like to see the return of the rain forest scene and the removal of the American scene that replaced it. This ride is supposed to be about experiencing and appreciating cultures other than our own, as beautifully said in a post on Re-Imagineering four years ago, "the original show writers were asking American audiences to step away from their own national consciousness and take stock in the wider world around them. It’s a Small World was never about nationalistic fervor. It was about finding our common humanity outside our own borders." The rain forest was one of the most enjoyable scenes of the ride, brimming with spirit and Blair's quirky design and character, it's a treasure that should be restored. The current American scene sticks out like a sore thumb.

They need to do something with Aladdin’s Oasis instead of letting it sit vacant minus the occasional character meet-and-greet. Bring back the Tahitian Terrace or another restaurant or attraction of high quality.

Do something with Winnie the Pooh. Either start plans to replace the attraction or upgrade its terribly cheap looking sets and animatronics.

Return the high standards for the windows on Main Street. No more paper cut-outs or cheap displays.

Improve the merchandise offerings around the park. No more generic "Disney Parks" labels and cheap souvenirs that you can find anywhere in the resort. More location-specific offerings and unique items.

Fix the problems with the new Matterhorn bobsleds.

Start treating Cast Members with the dignity and respect that they deserve.

But the number one thing that needs to change at the resort is the viewpoint and mentality of the people that are running it. Disneyland isn't just about turning movies into rides. It isn't just another Disney platform to promote the brand and characters. It's a unique little corner of the world that celebrates the inner child within all of us while promoting the principles of adventure, dreams, fantasy, nostalgia, history, character, story, art, science, and progress. It's about details and originality and uniqueness, about a perfect balance of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. It's about utter immersion to a redefined reality, transportation to another time, another place, evoking wonder through a dynamic blend of artistry, creativity, and imagination brought to life and filling every corner of the park. That's what Disneyland is about, and that's really the one thing that needs to be remembered, the one thing needed for improvement. If this is realized, everything else will simply fall into place.

• The doctor is in

I voted to remove the PeopleMover track and get rid of Innoventions.

I actually like Captain EO so I hope that sticks around long enough for me to see it again.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Gatheringrosebuds, so basically turn Disneyland into a museum where nothing changes?

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    Gatheringrosebuds, so basically turn Disneyland into a museum where nothing changes?
    There have been many posts in MiceChat's seven years that clearly put to rest the "museum" label. One of the best was posted last week:

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    We don't want an exact recreation of the Disneyland of the past. We want a Disneyland that reflects the levels of style, imagination, creativity, story, artistry, character, sophistication, and immersiveness of the past.

I posted a reply to your question on the same topic a couple days ago. Since you apparently missed it, here it is again:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    Mr. Wiggins, why are you so negative on anything new at Disneyland?
    I've written numerous posts on how I feel about Eisger's "new Disneyland" and the ridiculous "you just don't want Disneyland to change/you want Disneyland to remain a museum" label that keeps getting slapped on anyone who criticizes it. The following post perhaps summarizes it best:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    I'm sorry if it seems like I'm attacking the purists, but it just annoys me to think that Disneyland must never be touched.
    Who says "Disneyland must never be touched?" Those of us who were adult Disneyland fans in the decades before Eisger always looked forward to Disneyland changing. We became used to Disneyland constantly changing for the better. Changes that gave us not only more than we expected, but more than we could imagine. The Viewliner became the Monorail. The Phantom Boats became the Submarine Voyage. Tomorrowland '55 became Tomorrowland '67. Fantasyland '55 became Fantasyland '83. Cam-and-lever figures became Audio Animatronics. The Tiki Room, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion were mindblowing in their day.

Year after year, Disneyland was an ever-changing showcase of progress, a place of constant plussing. "Change For The Better" was the standard that Disneyland held itself to. "Change For The Better" was the standard that we expected as kids, teenagers and adults.

In comparison, much of the change Disney has offered in the last two decades is change for the worse. Tomorrowland '67 became Tomorrowland '98. America Sings became Innoventions. Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space became the Finding Nemo Underwater Kiddie Video. Swiss Family Treehouse became a Tarzan Disney Store display. Tahitian Terrace became Aladdin's Oasis, which became a ghost restaurant. PeopleMover became Rocket Rods, which became a ghost attraction. The Motorboat Cruise was replaced with... a smoking area. The Skyway was replaced with... nothing. Landmarks like Fort Wilderness and Cascade Peak were allowed literally to rot. Unique, land-specific merchandise was replaced by generic character crap in every store. Year after year, until it became obvious that when Disney made a change, the result would often be worse than what it replaced. Until it became clear that to today's Disney Corporation, "change" is just an excuse for jamming brands, brands and more brands into rides, stores and restaurants, whether they fit or not. Until "upgrade" became a code word for downgrade.
    This post says it even better:

We don't want an exact recreation of the Disneyland of the past. We want a Disneyland that reflects the levels of style, imagination, creativity, story, artistry, character, sophistication, and immersiveness of the past.
    To that list I'd only add two words: "Customer Service."

Gatheringrosebuds' post should be on a billboard where every Disneyland employee and their beancounting bosses can see it every day.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-23-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

But the number one thing that needs to change at the resort is the viewpoint and mentality of the people that are running it. Disneyland isn't just about turning movies into rides. It isn't just another Disney platform to promote the brand and characters. It's a unique little corner of the world that celebrates the inner child within all of us while promoting the principles of adventure, dreams, fantasy, nostalgia, history, character, story, art, science, and progress. It's about details and originality and uniqueness, about a perfect balance of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. It's about utter immersion to a redefined reality, transportation to another time, another place, evoking wonder through a dynamic blend of artistry, creativity, and imagination brought to life and filling every corner of the park. That's what Disneyland is about, and that's really the one thing that needs to be remembered, the one thing needed for improvement. If this is realized, everything else will simply fall into place.
    Gatheringrosebuds - I shortened it for quoting purposes, but this is the best post I have ever read about DL. It explains beautifully the philosophy of the park, and a way of looking at the park, which I and some others here share. Unfortunately, it seems, as posts like this usually do, to have gone right over most people's heads. As far as I'm concerned, this is the definitive post and I will just link to it whenever I feel the need to explain myself.

Fluffy Club Member

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    I think its funny the way it asks "How can Disneyland improve" and most of the choices are Tomorrowland. Lol
    My bad. My bias came through. Eighty-two people voted and the five (out of nine) Tomorrowland options topped the poll. (Though admittedly, laser guns on Small World might detract from the theme.) "Make the Matterhorn Bobsleds more comfortable" would have earned some votes, but that's why I suggested a second poll with more options.

There is a similar but (in my opinion) more urgent thread in the Walt Disney World section.
    Here's a link for you bicoastal Disney fans:
    What at Disney World needs to be improved?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-25-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Remove any item that says Disney Parks on it. At this point it almost looks like Knott's Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain have more park specific merchandise than Disneyland. As much as I love Epcot, I don't want to buy anything with Spaceship Earth on it when I'm at Disneyland.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast