Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: Old attractions - Would they hold up in 2012 and beyond?

I'm not in the mood to type, so I'll just say that I agree almost word-for-word with the initial post.

• will-o-the-whip

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Country Bear Jamboree - I believe the fact that this still exists at WDW is proof that it could still work.
    Just because an attraction still exists is not proof that it still "works." That CBJ plays to a mostly empty theater speaks to its popularity lag. MK removed the wrong ride to fit in Pooh, as Toad still gets long lines in DL's Fantasyland. WDW got it wrong once again.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I'm sick of the PeopleMover argument. It does absolutely nothing and I believe a majority of those who call for it to be brought back want it purely for nostalgia.
    I diagree. The PeopleMover was a high-cap attraction, and it was a fairly good long ride at that - a good chance to take a load off and just cruise. It went through a few rides and attractions and allowed the guest to get a tour/sneak preview of the inside of a few of them, and cruising over the sub lagoon, the entry to TL, and the Autopia tracks was a real treat. What's not to like? I only went on it once when I first visited DL in 1992 and I still remember it quite vividly.

Seeing that empty track gathering rust and dust just makes me sad because it was such a cool ride. Apparently the Imagineers have said they will not be bringing it back. Just get rid of the track and seal the holes if that's the case. I hate having to be reminded.

As for other attractions...

I do miss the original subs but the Nemo versions are nothing to sneeze at. Anything beats having the lagoon empty and void of activity.

I do miss the Skyways. The view was wonderful, and there aren't very many places in Disneyland where you can get some altitude and enjoy a view of the park from above. I know the idea is to keep guests from seeing the real world from inside the park, but I still liked it. Luckily the San Diego Zoo has a killer "Skyway" of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Just because an attraction still exists is not proof that it still "works." That CBJ plays to a mostly empty theater speaks to its popularity lag. MK removed the wrong ride to fit in Pooh, as Toad still gets long lines in DL's Fantasyland. WDW got it wrong once again.
    You say that my analogy doesn't stand to logic, but then you use the same reasoning to say that Toad should still be open in WDW?

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    You say that my analogy doesn't stand to logic, but then you use the same reasoning to say that Toad should still be open in WDW?
    To be fair, he was saying that Toad continually draws long lines in Disneyland, not just that it still exists in the park. Two different arguments there. Interpret them as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    To be fair, he was saying that Toad continually draws long lines in Disneyland, not just that it still exists in the park. Two different arguments there. Interpret them as you will.

Thank you for pointing that out. I see now how I was confused.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It isn't pure nostalgia when you can still ride the one at Disney World and realize how nice it is to be able to ride even their inferior version. To see what a sense of motion it brings to the land. It was a great way for newcomers to get a preview of the area and for all visitors to get off their feet for a few minutes and see Tomorrowland from a different perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    I diagree. The PeopleMover was a high-cap attraction, and it was a fairly good long ride at that - a good chance to take a load off and just cruise. It went through a few rides and attractions and allowed the guest to get a tour/sneak preview of the inside of a few of them, and cruising over the sub lagoon, the entry to TL, and the Autopia tracks was a real treat. What's not to like? I only went on it once when I first visited DL in 1992 and I still remember it quite vividly.

Seeing that empty track gathering rust and dust just makes me sad because it was such a cool ride. Apparently the Imagineers have said they will not be bringing it back. Just get rid of the track and seal the holes if that's the case. I hate having to be reminded.

I do miss the Skyways. The view was wonderful, and there aren't very many places in Disneyland where you can get some altitude and enjoy a view of the park from above.
    I totally agree with these remarks about the Peoplemover and Skyway. I rode the original Peoplemover many times, and recently got to ride the one at WDW and really enjoyed it. Their Tomorrowland has such a feeling of activity and motion; it's exciting, and the Peoplemover contributes to that feeling. Our current Tomorrowland is very static and ground level oriented.

One feature of the Skyway which I don't see mentioned much is the fact that it was a useful form of transportation. DL is much bigger than it was in the 60s and 70s, yet there are fewer ways to get around without walking. The Skyway actually took you a pretty good distance across the park.

The concepts of a sense of motion and of differing points of view (rather than everything at ground level) that were brought up really made me think. These concepts seem ignored by the current park planners. They seem to focus narrowly on individual attractions, rather than the overall effect of the attractions together.

Fluffy Club Member

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lady3jane View Post
    I totally agree with these remarks about the Peoplemover and Skyway. I rode the original Peoplemover many times, and recently got to ride the one at WDW and really enjoyed it. Their Tomorrowland has such a feeling of activity and motion; it's exciting, and the Peoplemover contributes to that feeling. Our current Tomorrowland is very static and ground level oriented.

One feature of the Skyway which I don't see mentioned much is the fact that it was a useful form of transportation. DL is much bigger than it was in the 60s and 70s, yet there are fewer ways to get around without walking. The Skyway actually took you a pretty good distance across the park.

The concepts of a sense of motion and of differing points of view (rather than everything at ground level) that were brought up really made me think. These concepts seem ignored by the current park planners. They seem to focus narrowly on individual attractions, rather than the overall effect of the attractions together.
    Excellent points, lady3jane! The Skyways were especially useful in helping to alleviate or lessen foot traffic bottlenecks, primarily in the Matterhorn area, but in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland both, overall. This could be particularly helpful during parades. If you were in Tomorrowland and needed to get quickly to Frontierland, the Skyway was the best way to go, and the fastest.

They really need to bring them back, along with the PeopleMover, which, honestly, I loved when I was a kid (I rode it just about every time I ever went to Disneyland). Not only did the PeopleMover give a sense of motion to Tomorrowland, but it was a voracious people-eater, and it allowed you an opportunity to sit down and rest your feet for a while, but still get a tour of Tomorrowland, which was often very helpful in deciding whether or not to go to this or that attraction next.

I don't know....I just don't understand how anyone could not enjoy these rides.

The Skyway was especially enjoyable at nighttime.

•   
    • Minion

Originally Posted by DrFink I'm sick of the PeopleMover argument. It does absolutely nothing and I believe a majority of those who call for it to be brought back want it purely for nostalgia.
    I agree. It was a slow moving open-air tram.

As to the other rides, I think something like the Monsanto House of the Future could be a draw. Nowadays people would see it as a glimpse into the past rather than a look at the future, but it would still be interesting. Aren't they supposedly working on a new "house of the future," in fact?

I could also see the Motorboat Cruises working if it were revamped to be like Aquatopia, and let guests pilot their own boats - or futuristic/retro vessels.

Modern audiences might like the Country Bears - it's a cute little show, and Disneyland desperately needs another sit-down performance.

A lot of the older rides that are still around have had major revamps in their technology and visuals - for instance Snow White has been spruced up several times - so I think that if any of the others were around, WDI would have retooled them to keep them viable and up to speed technologically.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 02-28-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post

I don't know....I just don't understand how anyone could not enjoy these rides.
    I too dont understand not wanting the PM back. It takes up little space and is nice for what it is.

As for the skyway...

Name:  skywayfant_demoss1987.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  67.2 KB
    Sort of ruins the lovely storybook atmosphere of FL....
    Name:  skywayfant_nelson1959d.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  88.3 KB
    And it doesn't help it goes right through a the matterhorn.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• The Lucky Rabbit

I always thought the PeopleMove might come back but in a different modernized form. With all of the inclusions of Pixar into the parks and Finding Nemo replacing the 20,000 League Subs I thought we would get the WALL-E version of the PeopleMover. If you have seen WALL-E you might have noticed a transportation system within the Axiom. It was an updated PeopleMover. I believe it says PeopleMover and its also talked about in the commentary as an homage.

I know now that Disney says the tracks are beyond repair and from what I have seen that's probably true, but I can't help but wonder if they shut down much of Tommorowland like they did Fantasyland in the 80's, they could easily get rid of the old foundations and track and lay foundations for new ones. Then they could modernize the PeopleMover and have some WALL-E ties in the enclosed spaces.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

I think the PeopleMovers could come back in a different form. I would guess most of the track in and around the buildings are salvageable with only the portion over Autopia needing major work. They could just build a new section of track that bypasses that area.

I think it may be time to give CBJ another shot since country music is more popular now. The thing is contemporary country music incorporates a lot of rock, pop, and even some hip hop influence so it would probably benefit them to adjust the music a bit which will undoubtedly upset some fans of the original.

As great as it may be to see Mission to Mars back, I think between Star Tours and Space Mountain Tomorrowland has enough space flight attractions. I'd rather see them bring back something like the American Space Experience that used to be where the Little Green Men store is now. Maybe talk Virgin or Space X into sponsoring it and have exhibits about the future of spaceflight.

And, although it isn't in Yesterland yet, if I had to save one thing from Innoventions I would beg Honda to consider letting ASIMO star in his own show somewhere in Tomorrowland.

Outside of Tomorrowland I think some new keel boats on the Rivers of America would be neat.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    I've never seen these empty theaters. Every time I've been there in the past few years it's been playing to full,appreciative houses.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Hey, I liked ATIS when I was 5!

Also, nostalgia tends to blind people.
    Except that none of those guests who asked me where ATIS was located were 5. Far from it.
    Some of them had ridden it the year or two before it closed. So even the last time they had remembered enjoying it was not when they were 5 years old either. They just liked it.

Besides, when we're talking about Disneyland, age really has nothing to do with it anyway. The park is full of attractions that appeal to both children and adults. I'm sure there are attractions that you like at the park that others haven't ridden since they were 5 either. It doesn't make it any less special to you.

As to the nostalgia piece, you can enjoy certain attractions for various reasons without being "blinded" by nostalgia.

Sometimes we like an attraction for the essence of what it stands for. And what a lot of the older attractions stood for was both entertainment and education.

This thread asks us to look at older attractions. It's kind of hard to do that without giving our opinion of that attraction. And if it happens to be a favorable opinion that others don't share....does that make us "blinded" by nostalgia?

I used ATIS as an example. Would it stand up to today's standards? Probably not. It would have to be updated. Do I think that would be cool? Yes. But not because I'm "blinded" by nostalgia. It would be cool because it would embody the edutainment piece that I like in attraction. And that is something that Disney has been known to do very well.

Does it have to be ATIS 2.0? No. Anything that brings in that edutainment piece would be fine with me.

I was just responding to the thread by using ATIS as an example....since that's what we were asked to do.

Has nothing to do with being "blinded" by nostalgia; it has to do with embracing what is good and what worked well. Disney has become all about the movie-based attraction now....some of which weren't even Disney movies. I think if they bring some of that edutainment into the park it would be super. Does that make me "blinded" by nostalgia? No. It's a personal opinion on what I think works at Disney and it would be nice to see more of it.

I'll throw my two cents in on this. I do like nostalgia but I don't like upgrading something that doesn't need it. Jack Sparrow comes to mind. Here's my take on the old rides.

Adventure Thru Inner Space
    I've always liked the ATIS. I think it would still be around with improvements. How about going beyond the nucleus of the atom? Also, some effects could benefit from modern technology. Clear plastics with rear projection, etc.

Mission to Mars
    This ride would need major upgrades for it to last in the modern day. Let's face it, NASA hasn't used tape drives for a LONG time. New AA, modern looking consoles, video effects that look real, flat panel displays and a good story. Go beyond mars. Take a tour of the solar system.

Nature's Wonderland
    The Jungle Cruise has survived and what is the MTTNW but the JC through the desert. New AA animals and some minor story tweaks, and this would still work.

CircleVision
    A unique attraction back in the day but it always made me sea sick. Maybe Buzz should take a vacation and put a new ATIS in there.

PeopleMover
    This is attractions that would/could/should be working in 2012! Well worth rebuilding. Reroute the track from down the center of TL to ease traffic. Create a new car, maybe something enclosed to keep unruly riders inside. The existing pillars could still be used just create a new OSHA approved track system. And put the Rocket Jets back where they belong.

Skyway
    Again, nothing against this ride at all in my book. However, I know a few people don't like looking at Fantasyland rooftops. But for me, the trade off with the views is totally worth it. AMEN. But I wouldn't put it back. I like the new Matterhorn just bring back decent cars.

America Sings
    If you keep AS you have to update the music from time to time. Better yet, restore a modernized CoP or create a new attraction using the revolving audience idea. In another thread an idea was floated about a CoP focused on Disneyland and its innovations and inventions through the years. The last stage would showcase new technology and previews of future rides. Put an animated model of DL upstairs with moving rides and an AA narrator.

Old Subs
    This needs to be redone. Nemo isn't cutting it. A new sub story needs to be created that addresses reef degradation, plate tectonics, undersea labs and farming. Infotainment at it's best. (and you could keep the sea serpent as an inside joke)

Motor Boats
    People would be bored to death with this ride. It would need a total revamp for it to survive.

Autopia
    Clean it up, go electric, add some scenery and an indoor section.

Country Bear Jamboree
    This would totally work in 2012. Never should have been taken away. A little AA update and an occasional new show. I hated it when they took this out. Put CBJ back in and move Pooh to Fantasyland. Pooh could go where the old Skyway station was. It's a wooded area.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast