Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: Old attractions - Would they hold up in 2012 and beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    Mission to Mars
    This ride would need major upgrades for it to last in the modern day. Let's face it, NASA hasn't used tape drives for a LONG time. New AA, modern looking consoles, video effects that look real, flat panel displays and a good story. Go beyond mars. Take a tour of the solar system.
    Excellent suggestions, and they fit well with mine, too. If they were to do it soon enough, they could even capitalize on the celebrity of NASA's "Mohawk Guy" by including an AA version of him in Mission Control! (As a subtle visual joke; they shouldn't make a big deal of it.)

I missed him. He would look good in an updated MM

• Minion

He could be Tom Morrow, Jr.

There is no slow kick-back leisurely experience that replaced the Peoplemover. It was designed not to have lines so some deemed it unpopular and not the crowd favorite it was. Sure it could have been updated with a smoother track near the end.

Country Bear Jamboree was hard to sit through near the end and had near empty theaters at times. But I remember being shocked people were still going to it in Florida(the show is big with their Honey Bo Bo demographics). It would have been nice fit for the California Ski Park it was designed for. Sadly though, it was replaced by a bigger dud... Pooh.

I just hope I'm having this conversation 20 years from now talking about the removal of Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post

Adventure Thru Inner Space -
    Entertaining and educational concept, stunning pre-show set piece, evocative soundtrack. There was nothing “hokey” or “corny” about it. Anyone who says that must have never been on it. All that would be needed today would be up-to-date visual effects and you’d have a popular attraction today. And add an optional thrill ride section at the end.
    100% agreed here. I was fascinated by this ride as a small child in the early 70s. It wasn't until I was a bit older that I realized the miniaturized omnimovers you saw going into that massive electron microscope weren't really tiny tourists! The projection work was fantastic and the story was really interesting. The amazing soundtrack has few contemporary narratives in the modern attractions, which suffered for years of laziness. The pre-show elements Imagineering gave us during the 50s - late 60s were remarkable on their own. Disneyland 1967 - Adventure Thru Inner Space - YouTube

I truly believe that many of these attractions easily could have lent themselves to compelling updates rather than being phased-out in favor of an outside franchise or, in some cases, nothing at all.

Mission to Mars - Should have been converted into a pizza restaurant where you order your pizza at Mission Control and then eat it in the rocket ship while watching the movies on the floor and ceiling.

Another attraction with a really compelling pre-show area, where a live action castmember interacted with the AA mission control scene. Again, in the context of the mid-70s, this was still incredibly timely. And is today, as we're just beginning to really explore the planet and it is big news whenever we do - these JPL "mission control" talent are treated more like celebrities today than back in the Apollo era. Instead of an alien escaping into the audience (courtesy, Stitch), the guest could be transported onto the surface of Mars to visit a colony. Could be achieved through dioramas and projection.

CircleVision
    As-is except new films. Not my favorite, but a crowd-eater.

Same goes for Soarin', which could easily be updated with new films / motion / sets every decade or so. Conversely, Soarin' and CircleVision really should have had several different versions playing to build repeat attendance on the same visit. Like StarTours 2.0

PeopleMover - Should be restored but the track extended to include a station in DCA.

People talk a lot about how the Tomorrowland of the 60s and 70s had motion everywhere. PeopleMover worked best when it was woven as a teaser through other attractions.

Skyway - Was NOT an eyesore. One connecting the 2 parks would be nice.

I loved it. Again, it was a teaser for Matterhorn and a convenient way to view the park from above, which is always something special.

America Sings -
    I preferred the Carousel of Progress.

Agreed, but 180 degrees the other way. Grew up on America Sings and now see Progress once a year. I like that I have a chance to see Walt's attraction almost unchanged from when it was conceived, but the quality of the Sings show was leaps and bounds more cohesive and better performed. Sam the Eagle, c'mon!!

Old Subs
    - Fine but new scenes should be added which change so that the ride-thru varies each time.

Prefer original over Nemo, but at least there are still subs in California.

Speaking of Stitch, I've always thought a more appropriate attraction for him would be as an AA accent to a reworked Stitch's Polynesian Lu'au in Adventureland, where the Tahitian Terrace was. Could be fun to have him pop up from time to time from various locations overhead on buildings or up a tree to pester the guests. Yoo-hoo!
    ~ Erik

• Doombuggy Rider

Every single, Ride or Attraction, mentioned would work fine, provided it received the right upgrades to reflect improvements in today's technology / science (or just common sense enough to understand it should've never been replaced and / or taken down). Exceptions? If the Ride or Attraction wasn't pulling in enough Park Guests to warrant the cost of running it (ie "Motor Boats").

Adventure Thru Inner Space

Upgrades involving improvements (via modern technology) with regards to Chemistry via the use of modern Imax Screens (does it need to be in 3D? That's debatable) along with a new Soundtrack / Voice Over (using Paul Frees and "Miracles For Molecules" as a reference) and future predictions regarding science & chemistry. I guarantee you would have more Park Guests per hour vs. Honey I Shrunk "& Bored" the Audience / Captain "Jesus Juice" EO!

Mission to Mars

Upgrades which reflect modern changes at Mission Control, as well as Jet Propulsion Laboratory; along with the fact modern Space Probes have done a better job of mapping various Planets (& Galaxies) in our Solar System. Should this Ride continue to take us to the Moon? Then Mars? Or, should this Ride explore the our Entire Galaxy?!

Nature's Wonderland

I would rather have a log flume, cowboy hat shaped omnimover, train on a track experience involving audio animatronic animals through the mountains & deserts vs. the wasted space of a petting zoo - barbeque - empty theatre (and please don't forget the singing cactus plants, as well as the geyser)!

CircleVision

A unique idea back in the day, which truly showcased the appeal of a Cinerama Experience (yes there was a Cinerama Dome in the City of Orange, as well as in Hollywood). I wonder if this would be a great place to screen those old Disney Animations shown as 8mm projections in the classrooms via 3D after a good digital remastering? (If so, you would have to create a seating arrangements where guests can enter / exit without obscuring the vision of those guests who are seated)!

PeopleMover

Never should've been replaced (all this Ride needed was cleaning up, followed by maintenance along its whole track so that every single "open experience" would offer a unique view which did not interrupt "the ride or attraction", along with digital dolby sound in every cart - & cushioned seating)!

Skyway

I miss the Skyway, however, would it work again if Imagineers moved it over to DCA? (The Red Trolley Cars only travel about 1/3 through DCA, unless Imagineers plan on having it circle the entire theme park? DCA is still without a seated transportation that services the entire theme park)!

America Sings

I will miss America Sings, however, I've accepted the fact most of the audio animatronics were repurposed to Splash Mountain (what didn't get used on the Ride, would've been nice to be featured in the queue line). Innoventions felt like a half a r s e attempt @ EPCOT. I would rather thee building be used to create a TRON - TRON Legacy - TRON Uprising experience!

Submarine Ride

Submarines are used for deep sea exploration more often now (especially in discovering life towards the bottom of our deepest oceans, as well as the location of ship wrecks). Modern Military Submarines are receiving a stealth make over (the question is, should Disneyland's Submarines represent their military use? or their scientific use? I prefer science in my Tomorrowland)!

Motor Boats

The cost of maintenance makes it impossible to have an autotopia version using motor boats (which follow along a track hidden underwater). I think this area would be best used to have an experience "on par" with the miniature motorized Jungle Cruise boats that were @ the Disneyland Hotel (pilot your miniature Fantasyland Boat around Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and through Skull Rock)!

Country Bear Jamboree

Like the PeopleMover? This Attraction should've never left Critter Country! Winnie the Pooh could've gone over to where the Fantasyland Theatre sits wasting space (that whole area could be housing several brand new Fantasyland Experiences)!

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

[QUOTE=darkamor;1056890982]Skyway
    I miss the Skyway, however, would it work again if Imagineers moved it over to DCA?

Yes, it could skirt Paradise Pier and not look out of place. And the aerial view would be similar to Mickey's Fun Wheel so there wouldn't be the "roofs of Fantasyland breaking the magic" issue.

• Banned User

WARNING! NERD ALERT: EXTREME GEEK DISCUSSION TO FOLLOW. PROCEED WITH CAUTION. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Quote Originally Posted by darkamor View Post
    CircleVision

A unique idea back in the day, which truly showcased the appeal of a Cinerama Experience

Sorry, darkamor, but Cinerama and CircleVision 360 were two totally different film formats.

Cinerama,
    particularly the original 3-strip Cinerama process, which was a precursor to 20th Century-Fox's Cinemascope and set off the widescreen movie craze of the 1950s (followed by Paramount's VistaVision, Techniscope, Todd-AO, Technirama, MGM Camera 65 - which later became Ultra-Panavision 70 - and a number of other processes), provides an amazing widescreen image on a curved screen, projected from 3 synchronized projectors (having been photographed in 35mm on 3 synchronized cameras with non-anamorphic lenses side-to-side, for a total projected aspect ratio of approximately 2.77:1).

3-strip Cinerama looks like this:

CircleVision 360, as the name implies, gives you a 360-degree projected image (using 9 cameras pointed outward, for 9 projectors pointed inward), surrounding the viewer on all sides in a circle. While it is no doubt related to Cinerama in many respects, it's actually a separate film format altogether, with a different patent.

This is (roughly) what CircleVision 360 looks like (photographed with a fisheye lens) -

The format still survives today, and in fact, there actually is a new development - Digital CircleVision 360.

(yes there was a Cinerama Dome in the City of Orange, as well as in Hollywood).

Sorry, another correction.

Although the still-standing Pacific's Cinerama Dome in Hollywood (now part of the Arclight Hollywood theater complex) was originally designed with 3-strip Cinerama in mind, it never actually presented any 3-strip Cinerama films until only just recently. It opened in 1963 with It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, which was filmed in 65mm and, despite advertising of the Cinerama name on posters and other marketing materials, was projected in a single film, single lens 70mm presentation, not in the 3-strip Cinerama process.

Also, the now-demolished Syufy (now Century Theaters) Cinedome in Orange was never designed with 3-strip Cinerama in mind, although it was definitely a very popular showcase for 70mm film presentations for many years (although most 70mm prints in the 1970s and 1980s & early 1990s were 35mm blowups, not films actually shot in 65mm).

I wonder if this would be a great place to screen those old Disney Animations shown as 8mm projections in the classrooms via 3D after a good digital remastering? (If so, you would have to create a seating arrangements where guests can enter / exit without obscuring the vision of those guests who are seated)!

Another correction (sorry, really; not trying to embarrass you): The 16mm format was much more commonplace in American classrooms for the viewing of films than 8mm ever was. 8mm and Super 8mm were what most folks shot their home movies on.

Anyway, as for a place to show the old classic Disney documentaries and educational films - hey, I'm game, of course, since I loved those films. I'm not really sure it'd work at Disneyland all that much, though, or that the CircleVision building would be the most ideal place for it. But it's an interesting idea you propose; a sort of classic Disney edutainment multiplex. As for "digital remastering," well, a photochemical restoration would be MUCH preferred first, and THEN a decent digital transfer. Obviously for the purposes of constant showings at Disneyland, the digital cinema format would be preferred to celluloid, but for archiving purposes, a photochemical restoration would be vital if those films are to last, especially since many of them were no doubt filmed in Eastmancolor (see the 11-minute featurette "Preserving Pollyanna" on the Pollyanna DVD for more info on why this matters).

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. I think most people that think this ride would work (as it was) today are looking through glasses of the rose tint and/or never actually went on the ride. It was so corny, even in the '70s when I went on it.

Now, if they updated it with today's technology, it could be awesome.
    No one in the history of this discussion board has ever asked for a carbon copy. The concept is what people want to return, not 70's technology.

Retrocool,

Thanks for the great Cinerama stuff!

Wasn't there also a Circarama? Perhaps that is what the original poster was talking about?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If that were the case, wouldn't the Haunted Mansion be gone too?
    The difference is that Haunted Mansion has cameras.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    Nature's Wonderland
    Could work but it would need new AAs and there's no way it would replace Big Thunder anytime soon
    Who said it had to replace Big Thunder. There is still all this space imbetween Big Thunder Trail and Rivers.

I think there is more room in DL than people give credit for. There is room behind Space Mountain, behind DLRR New Orelans Square Station, Along big thunder trial, and you always removings like Pooh, Big Thunder Ranch, Starcade, ect; to get the space need for more attractions.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    No one in the history of this discussion board has ever asked for a carbon copy. The concept is what people want to return, not 70's technology.
    Did you even read the original post of this very thread? Sheesh.

• ~

Did you even read the original post of this very thread? Sheesh.
    I don't see how Seawolf's post contradicts the question of the original post. The inquiry being presented here is what attractions we feel would still hold up in Disneyland today. At the heart of every attraction is its story, its premise, its idea. So when asking such a question, I would assume that we were talking about whether these such things would still hold up today, not the technology which would obviously be dated. Even the original post was filled with comments about how updating certain aspects of listed attractions would make them a possible fit for today's Disneyland.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 01-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234