• Armchair Imagineer

Holographic Backgrounds for Disneyland Attractions - To Infinity and Beyond!

New holographic technology may add an exciting element to such Disneyland Resort faves as Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, Pirates of the Caribbean, and others. Show scenes featuring animatronics (POTC) or limited motion figures (Astro Blasters) provide great foregrounds, but the limitation of existing show buildings create a shallow background. In order to add holographic elements to create that "stretching to infinity" illusion to enhance show scene backgrounds currently requires the Guests to wear special glasses or headgear. This new technology allows holographic backgrounds to be projected directly into the Guest's eyes:

Name:  disney hologram.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  68.8 KB

Imagine the possibilities of this technology. POTC backgrounds could become even more expansive than the current cavernous show building physically allows. For attractions like Astro Blasters, the outer space background would seem just like outer space. Physical limitations of any show building would no longer become a liability for the Imagineers.

What other Disneyland or California Adventure attractions would benefit from a refurbishment using this technology?

• Under that tree again!

Re: Holographic Backgrounds for Disneyland Attractions - To Infinity and Beyond!

I have been wonding about this. Would newer holograms be better than the flat cutouts and backdrops that are in a handful or dark rides?

I think if so we will see one in a Disney Park soon, likely Shanghai or maybe Mystic Manor in HKDL, since LM and the Seven Dwarfs coaster have AAs in them.

• -

Re: Holographic Backgrounds for Disneyland Attractions - To Infinity and Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    What other Disneyland or California Adventure attractions would benefit from a refurbishment using this technology?
    Could it make Jumpin Jellyfish seem like a good ride?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Could it make Jumpin Jellyfish seem like a good ride?
    Haha! That's a tough ask!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I had worked on this exact effect in miniature. I wish I was 10 years older and I could have been a part of this!

• Disneylander

Maybe it could be used in some of the Fantasyland dark rides.

• We Go On.

Space Mountain...Tiki Room windows...Haunted Mansion load area...Indiana Jones dart corridor...Blue Bayou...

This could even open up possibilities of replicating daytime exterior scenes indoors, with blue skies that seem realistically far away.

That said, I can't make much out of that diagram. Do we have any techie people around who can interpret?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

As long as they don't over use it....sure why not try it on Pirates, HM and what not...just don't over use it because what makes many of the classic rides good is how they are all physical sets and not just "fake" 3D tech

• I'm a Lutheran

Knowing the luck of Florida's Haunted Mansion, they'll probably test it out there first with the Hitchhiking Ghosts or something, lol. Or they'll do something really appropriate with it somewhere else. Maybe we'll be seeing it somewhere in the refurbished Big Thunder?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Deleted
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Dead men tell no tales.

I could definitely see this implemented on tower of terror. The starfield and ghost people effect could look soo much better with this.

• Senior Minion

What would really be something is a system that doesn't require riders to wear special headgear. Until then, I think the impracticality of distributing and collecting holographic headgear to riders limits this to theater audiences.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Hopefully its done quickly

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    What would really be something is a system that doesn't require riders to wear special headgear. Until then, I think the impracticality of distributing and collecting holographic headgear to riders limits this to theater audiences.
    I agree -- which is why I love this new system as it avoids any special glasses or viewing mechanism worn by the Guest. I am also glad that the Imagineers have not "gone crazy" with 3-D backgrounds in the past. As dazzling as the currently available technology is, it still is a pain to wear something and I usually get a mild headache if I experience too many of these attractions in a short period of time.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Space Mountain...Tiki Room windows...Haunted Mansion load area...Indiana Jones dart corridor...Blue Bayou...

This could even open up possibilities of replicating daytime exterior scenes indoors, with blue skies that seem realistically far away.
    I agree with everything here except for Space Mountain. I would worry that this would create too much light pollution that seems to always be a problem with any new effect that they put in. One of the great things about the 2005 remodel was that a lot of the light pollution was removed.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."