Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Exchange

• Your Nemesis

Pirate Exchange

This proposal is for those of you who are unhappy with the Jack Sparrow AAs in POTC and dislike new rides being themed to films.

In exchange for restoring POTC to its original form, which means removing all existing movie tie-ins, a second Pirates ride would be built. This second ride would be completely based on the films, would only include characters from the movies, and the ride's story would be similar to, if not a replication of, one from the films. In addition, because Pirates of the Caribbean is a somewhat limiting theme, the ride would most likely be a boat ride similar to the current attraction.

Would you be for or against such a ride?
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

• Senior Minion

Re: Pirate Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    Would you be for or against such a ride?
    I would be against a Pirates of the Jerry Bruckheimer Movie Franchise ride. I'm against the idea of turning Disneyland into a series of advertisements for brand franchises. Unfortunately, that kind of low I.Q. ride (I.Q. meaning Imagination Quotient) is the only thing Disney will greenlight any more.

As author Neil Gabler said of Disney's reliance on brand marketeering, "You don't need imagination or art. All you need is a brand." That, and millions of branded-lifestyle consumers willing to pay big bucks to see product advertisements and brand marketing pitches.

What I'd be for is taking the Bruckheimer crap out of Pirates of the Caribbean.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-21-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Can we create an Eddie Murphy version of the Haunted Mansion as well? Maybe a white line down the center of the island where half of it is ruled by Depp and the other side by Tom and Huck? Maybe an all Disney character version of Small World next door to the classic version?

How about a movie version of the Country Bears to play next door to the bears at Disney World?

I realize this comes off as sarcastic, but it really illustrates the slippery slope that something like that could lead to. It would be much better if the movie tie-ins on Pirates were limited to one Jack Sparrow animotronic that was relegated to the background as kind of an easter egg for the fans, or even better yet if the ride was never bastardized with the movie tie-ins to begin with.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• I am not a Krusty Krab

I'd love it, i dont mind jack in POTC its just he appears too much. its overdone

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Mr. Wiggins, why are you so negative on anything new at Disneyland?

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    It's not that people are against new things at Disneyland. It is a downer when the new thing is of lower quality than the thing it replaced. Even worse when new things that are put in are done so just to market the Disney brand such as adding characters to rides and restaurants that never had them before and were far superior without them.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

The movie was based off of the ride, so why is it so bad that you have spot appearances by Barbosa and Jack in the ride. Barbosa replaced an unknown captain and what exactly did Jack replace? Not much maybe a pirate in the barrel. It's so minimal that it's laughable that anyone complains about it.

• Your Nemesis

I'm not sure if Mr. Wiggins actually dislikes everything new or if he, like many on MC, he's just critical. I think people here can be overcritical at times, but usually, they're spot on. Regardless, I tend to agree with them. If even half of Disney's new attractions were not film-based, I think there would be a lot less complaining on MC.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    The movie was based off of the ride, so why is it so bad that you have spot appearances by Barbosa and Jack in the ride. Barbosa replaced an unknown captain and what exactly did Jack replace? Not much maybe a pirate in the barrel. It's so minimal that it's laughable that anyone complains about it.
    It's not minimal. Jack Sparrow has been added three times on the ride. One of which is a complete reworking of the final scene, another, they completely changed the dialogue of the well scene so it is now about finding Jack Sparrow instead of the treasure. The ride's dark and foreboding dialogue in the tunnel was replaced when they added the mist screen with the squid head dude and the movie Black Beard. If it was really as minimal as just replacing the cat in the barrel with Jack Sparrow, I don't think there would be that much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    I'm not sure if Mr. Wiggins actually dislikes everything new or if he, like many on MC, he's just critical. I think people here can be overcritical at times, but usually, they're spot on. Regardless, I tend to agree with them. If even half of Disney's new attractions were not film-based, I think there would be a lot less complaining on MC.
    Exactly. It's not that people are against new additions or movie tie-ins. Movie tie-ins definitely have a place at Disneyland and should be there. The problem is that everything now has to have whether or not it fits its surroundings or not. The trick is to maintain a delicate balance of tie-ins and original attractions. Tip the scale too far in either direction and people will complain.

When CA Adventure opened, it was all original rides with no characters. Now the pendulum has swung back in the other direction so that everything now is character driven and there is no originality. It would be nice if they would swing it back the other way again and stop it in the middle so that there is an even mix of both.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It's not that people are against new things at Disneyland. It is a downer when the new thing is of lower quality than the thing it replaced. Even worse when new things that are put in are done so just to market the Disney brand such as adding characters to rides and restaurants that never had them before and were far superior without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It's not that people are against new additions or movie tie-ins. Movie tie-ins definitely have a place at Disneyland and should be there. The problem is that everything now has to have whether or not it fits its surroundings or not. The trick is to maintain a delicate balance of tie-ins and original attractions. Tip the scale too far in either direction and people will complain.
    Bingo x2!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Inappropriate

Where would this second ride be built? Sorry, I'm hung up on the logistics of the situation.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Your Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Where would this second ride be built? Sorry, I'm hung up on the logistics of the situation.
    I intentionally left that out because I'm wasn't sure myself.

It would have to go in either NoS or a 3rd gate. I'll leave that for you to decide.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Because overall Disneyland's quality is slipping exponentially every day. The place stinks compared to how it was years ago. That's why I've stopped going or more accurately not as much as I used to.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Because overall Disneyland's quality is slipping exponentially every day. The place stinks compared to how it was years ago. That's why I've stopped going or more accurately not as much as I used to.
    Why do you hate Disneyland? Did Michael Eisner let his dog poop on your lawn or something?

Anyway, while I would definitely love a return to the original POTC attraction, theoretically at least, I'm not opposed to a POTC attraction based on the Bruckheimer franchise....except....like someone else already said - where would it go?

Still, considering that the film franchise is so inextricably tied in with the original attraction's story in a variety of ways, I'm not entirely sure how a POTC attraction based on the films would play out, storywise. It may seem too similar to the original as to be superfluous.

•   
    • Minion

Nope my wish is to remove Jack because he is forced into the ride and I think they ruined the attraction. I don't mind movie based attractions from inception but when they start adding things to popular rides for no reason I kind of shake my head. having two pirate rides would be overkill when the orignal POTC is enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast