•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

George K Leaving Disneyland for Disneyworld

Kevin Yee on Facebook and others on twitter have posted that in 2013 Meg Crofton may be out as president of parks and resorts specifically disneyworld and George Kalogridis currently DL president may assume her role. What does this mean for the Disneyland Resort. As a whole I think George has done a admirable job and I would still rank Matt Ouimet as a slightly better president mainly for return to upkeep of the parks and setting the stage for the large scale expansion but Kalogridis seems to really care about the resort. What do you all think?
    I also started a thread over in the Disneyworld forums to understand that perspective
    Meg Crofton out as Disneyworld President George K from Disneyland in . 2013

Re: George K Leaving Disneyland for Disneyworld

I'm still confused by the pro-Kalogridis/Staggs argument. They are both significantly more personable and likable, but when it comes down to what was actually done, Staggs and Kalogridis have done practically nothing compared to their predecessors.

They both were brought in after the major expansions were well underway. Frankly, DLR wouldn't be much different today if Rasulo and Grier were still there.

Staggs specifically is the most baffling. The only major improvement he's made is 7 Dwarves. Otherwise his big "highlight" is Avatar. Meanwhile Rasulo orchestrated the WDSP, DCA, and HKDL expansions. He also initiated the New Fantasyland and he was responsible for other major attractions such as Expedition Everest, World of Color, and TSMM.

• Under that tree again!

The biggest thing is Staggs may move up to the position of whomever is, or himself, taking Iger's job as Disney CEO. This may cause a Parks and Resorts shuffle.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

when is Igers self imposed retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    when is Igers self imposed retirement?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I welcome this change. At least he's more in touch with what goes on out here. I think such high level positions should remain in Home Base (Glendale/Burbank) close to WDI and the Studios.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Good, i like George

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• "I don't like the color"

I am mixed on the change (if it happens). On one hand, George has shown a love for the parks as opposed to Mr Grier who looked like he couldn't wait to get out of Anaheim. On the other hand it appears it was George and his team that instituted the 20 days of Candlelight, the enormous jump in prices for admission, the elimination of holiday parties for CM's (yes, I know the mandate comes from Florida, but he could have fought hard for the parties), the watering down of Club 33, the continuing mandate to push merch into every square inch of the parks (especially Disneyland).
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Heavy Breather

Make it so.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I am mixed on the change (if it happens). On one hand, George has shown a love for the parks as opposed to Mr Grier who looked like he couldn't wait to get out of Anaheim. On the other hand it appears it was George and his team that instituted the 20 days of Candlelight, the enormous jump in prices for admission, the elimination of holiday parties for CM's (yes, I know the mandate comes from Florida, but he could have fought hard for the parties), the watering down of Club 33, the continuing mandate to push merch into every square inch of the parks (especially Disneyland).
    Just curious how do we know internally he wasnt fighting hard against the changes. He wont make a public statement saying he is against he does have to keep his job afterall but for all we know in these one disney meetings he could be talking about tradition ... I dont know either way but the park looks far better than its florida companions so I am happy about that. You could also argue he has brought back more annual pass specific events like candlelight, the 20th anniversary fantasmic party, soundsational etc...

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    Just curious how do we know internally he wasnt fighting hard against the changes. He wont make a public statement saying he is against he does have to keep his job afterall but for all we know in these one disney meetings he could be talking about tradition ... I dont know either way but the park looks far better than its florida companions so I am happy about that. You could also argue he has brought back more annual pass specific events like candlelight, the 20th anniversary fantasmic party, soundsational etc...
    Yes, and you could also argue about the pay-per-view holiday season coming next year as well as the Halloween parties that cost the same if not more for less than what was offered in prior years. Plus the proliferation of meet and greets instead of unique attractions and turning the Penny Arcade into a candy store extension. The park looks clean though.....

• Special Agent

The president role at Disneyland is mostly just a ceremonial one. They show up to parties, shake hands, and wave to people. Most of the tough decision making is handled in Burbank and most of the policy decisions are just carried over from WDW. The DL President Role has been pretty pointless since Cynthia Harriss took over for Pressler and it really doesn't matter who takes up that position. With the exception of...

I am mixed on the change (if it happens). On one hand, George has shown a love for the parks as opposed to Mr Grier who looked like he couldn't wait to get out of Anaheim.
    As much as this may contradict what I just wrote; Ed Grier probaby did more for the resort than any other DL President. It was Grier who was the public face of SOAR and made the case for keeping the resort district intact at a time that the city was pretty fed up with the empty promises.

It may have been a pointless and stupid cause (the trailer park is still just a trailer park) but I doubt you will ever see another DL President take up such a public role ever again (assuming there even is another DL President).

• Under that tree again!

It's easy to make a negative list about WDW leadership too. Selling out and devalueing thier offers.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    It's easy to make a negative list about WDW leadership too. Selling out and devalueing thier offers.
    Of course it is, especially since Meg Crofton is there. And it all boils down to the "One Disney" mantra.