Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: What year did they color the stone on Sleeping Beauty's castle?

Well...if we want to get technical there ARE "real" pink castles out there; the color isn't gendered in architecture...

Name:  281475045430515005_LBGcV6Uv.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  9.2 KB
    Name:  HtKoenigs4_small.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  15.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Here's how it looked on August 27, 1956...

Now thats how its supposed to look!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Here's how it looked on August 27, 1956...

First off I want to let you all know that I do not like the current pink castle. It does need to be re-painted if only due to the fact that the paint on the top third of the tallest turret is noticeably fading.

But one thing that I would like to point out is that in the days from when DL was built until maybe about 15-20 years ago, LA/OC was a lot smoggier than it is now. (Thanks to mandated smog checks on cars and modern smog controls on cars and in industry). I remember as a kid the skies above so cal especially in the summer to always being a dingy grey-white. The castle's old paint job caused the castle to blend into the sky too much. The pink admittedly makes it stand out more.

But now the sky seems to be bluer than in years past. Sure they can keep the castle pink but I think a return to the original color would be ok now that there would be more of a contrast between it and the bluer background sky.

• Closed Account

The original colors were more stately and imposing. The new colors resemble Barbie's Dream Castle.

Fantasy--good fantasy--when done well, will always seem more "real." It's this veneer of reality that actually makes the fantasy better. In this case, that veneer has been stripped away, and we are left not with a realistic castle as Walt intended, but a toy, a bauble, a cartoon.

Walt didn't want the castle to look like a cartoon; indeed, it's not meant to look like the castle from Sleeping Beauty. From the beginning he imbued it with realistic details and colors, an appropriate entryway into a fantasy come to life.

• Minion

ORDDU: It's always been my understanding that Walt Disney preferred something that did NOT reflect the real world but, instead, something out of a fantasy world. Interesting to see all the different interpretations people have on what Walt wanted.

ORWEN: And since Sleeping Beauty WAS an animated feature and the castle is supposed to represent something from a 'cartoon' it seems silly to complain that it looks like something out of a 'cartoon'.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: And since Sleeping Beauty WAS an animated feature and the castle is supposed to represent something from a 'cartoon' it seems silly to complain that it looks like something out of a 'cartoon'.
    No, it's not. It's not Sleeping Beauty'S Castle.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    The original colors were more stately and imposing. The new colors resemble Barbie's Dream Castle.

Fantasy--good fantasy--when done well, will always seem more "real." It's this veneer of reality that actually makes the fantasy better. In this case, that veneer has been stripped away, and we are left not with a realistic castle as Walt intended, but a toy, a bauble, a cartoon.

Walt didn't want the castle to look like a cartoon; indeed, it's not meant to look like the castle from Sleeping Beauty. From the beginning he imbued it with realistic details and colors, an appropriate entryway into a fantasy come to life.
    Exactly right. The theme of the castle is supposed to be the fantasy of classic fairytales, not the Pantone palette that you'll find in the girls' section at Toys R Us.

The modern-toy-packaging pinks and golds on the Castle, the modern-mall teals and magentas on Main Street, and the modern-Western City Slickers music accompanying Sheriff Woody in Frontierland, are all expressions of the marketing sensibility that dominates today's Disneyland -- a mindset that puts "relevance to today's audience," and the consumerism that it panders to, above theme and show.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

The castle color does seam a bit garish, especially compaired to the muted pictures from years past, but I don't hate it.

• Minion

ORWEN: Since Walt Disney, himself, referred to Sleeping Beauty's Castle as Sleeping Beauty's Castle on his TV shows, I can refer to it as Sleeping Beauty's Castle, too. So there! Stop trying to correct people when it's not necessary. Either way is proper--just like we can also say Mr. Toad's Wild Ride we can also say Sleeping Beauty's Castle---or Cinderella's Castle!!

ORDDU: As for the colors for the castle, I think some people just don't particularly like fantasy to begin with and try to argue in favor of more realistic approaches--even to fantasies--and end up losing sight of the original intent of the Imagineers. But the fact that the Imagineers chose the colors for the castle that they did should be the last word on all this because they know best what the young at heart like.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: As for the colors for the castle, I think some people just don't particularly like fantasy to begin with and try to argue in favor of more realistic approaches--even to fantasies--and end up losing sight of the original intent of the Imagineers. But the fact that the Imagineers chose the colors for the castle that they did should be the last word on all this because they know best what the young at heart like.
    It's a fantasy that WDI calls the creative shots at Disneyland. It has been well known for years that WDI is one of the most politicized divisions in the corporation, and bends to the dictates of the top-management marketeers who call the shots at Disney Parks.

A Barbie Toy Castle color scheme was not the "original intent of the Imagineers," it is the result of a WDI dominated by a marketing-driven, Eisger-era management hierarchy. There's a big difference between designing for the young at heart and pandering to the kiddie consumer market: from Princesses to Tinkerbell, Nemo to Sheriff Woody, Disney's corporate marketeers go where the franchise brand toy sales are. And where Disney Corporate goes, WDI follows.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-27-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

Do we have any evidence as to what the original Imaginers had in mind when designing the Castle? The concept in the Disney Gallery more or less matches the current Castle, unless they purposely colored that pink to match.

Disney does a lot of things for money, I’m just not certain that a Pink Castle equals big money.

I think people are forgetting that Flora and Fauna have also been living in the castle. With their pink and blue sensibilities I think this is exactly what the castle would have looked like happily ever after!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post

Do we have any evidence as to what the original Imaginers had in mind when designing the Castle? The concept in the Disney Gallery more or less matches the current Castle, unless they purposely colored that pink to match.
    The concept art depicts a "pink" very much as seen on the photo or the original paint scheme above; the stonework was meant to appear more as grey granite--and not the overt blue and purple hues seen today.

I have some pre-opening literature describing the castle as being far more realistic (even including a dining hall and knights' quarters). Herb Ryman's original concept drawing for the entire Park (supervised directly by Walt Disney) also features a far more realisitic castle rendering.

As Wiggins alluded to, Disney never needed to "talk down" to his audience, nor was his Park geared towards kids only, as we're seeing more and more of today. He knew that a realistic castle would appeal to little girls and their fantasies of princesses just as strongly as it would appeal to little boys and their own fantasies of knights and jousting (not so much today, sadly)--as well as adults.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 12-28-2012 at 08:20 AM.

• Closed Account

On sort of a related note, in the late 1950s the Lionel Electric Train Company, which for decades sold realistically colored black steam locomotives and rust colored freight cars to millions of boys, decided to offer a train set specifically geared towards girls. The company figured it was losing out on millions of dollars in lost sales, and if it could appeal to little girls, sales would increase.

So, in 1957 they offered the "Girl's Train," advertised as being in "fashion-right colors," featuring a pink steam locomotive, a hopper in stunning lavender, a buttercup yellow box car and a robin's egg blue caboose, along with a transformer controller in an ivory case. Certainly every girl's dream train set!

But the set was a failure of epic proportion, with many train shops resorting to painting the cars into more realisitic colors so they could move them on Christmas eve. Hardly any were sold.

Why? Simple: Girls liked trains too, but while trains were more of a "guy thing," the girls who did want a train did not like being patronized. And who can blame them?

I can definitely see an analogy here.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I agree that coloring trains, or anything for that matter, pink In the attempt to simply appeal to girls or women is akin to talking down to then, but I'm not sure that is why the Castle pink and blue. As people have mentioned before, could it not be link the movie that the castle is homage too? The Pink and blue is pretty convincing?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast