Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: What year did they color the stone on Sleeping Beauty's castle?

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I agree that coloring trains, or anything for that matter, pink In the attempt to simply appeal to girls or women is akin to talking down to then, but I'm not sure that is why the Castle pink and blue. As people have mentioned before, could it not be link the movie that the castle is homage too? The Pink and blue is pretty convincing?
    Google Image Search - "King Stefan's Castle

• Closed Account

I'm not sure that is why the Castle pink and blue. As people have mentioned before, could it not be link the movie that the castle is homage too? The Pink and blue is pretty convincing?
    I'm pretty sure that "theming" the castle in "fashion-right colors" has more to do with marketing the Princess line than anything having to do with high-brow creativity.

In 2000, Disney created the “Disney Princess” franchise, a move that brought all the princesses back into production in a line of merchandise that would earn Disney upwards of $4 billion a year. The princesses aren’t just in movies anymore — they’re on cosmetic train cases, tiara-shaped tambourines and batteries-required, 2-feet-long “Tangled” wigs.
    The Princess Effect: Are Girls Too 'Tangled' In Disney's Fantasy? | Neon Tommy

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough | Attractions | Disneyland Park

sleeping beauty's castle - Google Search

Regardless of what it once was, it is currently and more commonly referred to Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Besides, who is to say that once Aurora and Phillip moved in that the fairies didn't spruce it up a bit to match the whole dress issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'm pretty sure that "theming" the castle in "fashion-right colors" has more to do with marketing the Princess line than anything having to do with high-brow creativity.

The Princess Effect: Are Girls Too 'Tangled' In Disney's Fantasy? | Neon Tommy
    Could be, but if that were true, why is the castle in Disney World not pink then?

Also, anyone parent who blames Disney for the over-princess-ification of their own daughter is IMO a bad parent. Disney is no more at fault for your daughter wanting to be a Princess then McDonalds’ is at fault for making you fat; It's called personal responsibility.

Case in point, My daughter who has been exposed to Disney from the get go went through her princess stages, but has since grown out of it. During this time we exposed her to other strong females in popular culture to ensure that she had a broad choice of media figures to look up to, as well as her own role models.

Does Disney make billions on the princess? Yes. Is it their fault for offering something that society wants? No. Disney does not tell people what to like, they simply create something and if society latches on, then they sell to that demographic.

Also, anyone parent who blames Disney for the over-princess-ification of their own daughter is IMO a bad parent. Disney is no more at fault for your daughter wanting to be a Princess then McDonalds’ is at fault for making you fat; It's called personal responsibility.

Case in point, My daughter who has been exposed to Disney from the get go went through her princess stages, but has since grown out of it. During this time we exposed her to other strong females in popular culture to ensure that she had a broad choice of media figures to look up to, as well as her own role models.

Does Disney make billions on the princess? Yes. Is it their fault for offering something that society wants? No. Disney does not tell people what to like, they simply create something and if society latches on, then they sell to that demographic.
    Brilliant post. Spot on.

100% agreed.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Regardless of what it once was, it is currently and more commonly referred to Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Besides, who is to say that once Aurora and Phillip moved in that the fairies didn't spruce it up a bit to match the whole dress issue.
    I am not talking about the physical structure, but the notion that the pink color somehow better fits with the film.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I would be willing to surmise that if you showed a picture of the castle in it's current incarnation and another picture of the castle from a movie still, that the GENERAL POPULATION would be able to tell you that the Disneyland castle belongs to Sleeping Beauty (or Cinderella) and have very little idea whose castle is in the second picture. Of course I have nothing to back that up and it's just a wild guess, but interesting to think about.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

So why doesn't Hong Kong Disneyland have the bright colors? The park opened in 2005 right after the repaint in California.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Not sure, perhaps the people of china have different sensibilities and have not embraced the Disney Princesses as much as the people in the west. I would argue that because the princesses are predominantly Western in langue and appearance that the general population of Hong Kong, namely the young girl demographic will not relate to the typical princess and will gravitate more to other, non-descript characters like Mickey, Minnie and Stitch, so while the Castle resembles the original one Disneyland version, it may not be as important to relate it back to the movie. Also, maybe it was painted with that lead filled paint that we heard about years ago from china and it simply faded.

But perhaps the better question may be: Why does the Castle in Disneyland Paris have all the bright colors?

• Minion

ORDDU: For many years, Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland in Anaheim was allowed to be faded to the point where it was looking dreadfully neglected. By the time the 50th anniversary celebration began, it had been freshly painted and it certainly needed that paint job. So, while some may not like the bolder colors it now has, this witch would rather have the castle stand out as it now does as opposed to just fading away into the gray skies like it used to.

ORWEN: As for the castle in Disneyland Paris, it is also a Sleeping Beauty Castle and was the first to be painted with more bold colors such as pink and blue. I think the Anaheim version finally caught up with that same sort of color pallet.

ORDDU: Obviously we all have different tastes and preferences when it comes to colors and castles and all manner of other things. But in the grand scheme of things the Disney castles still manage to be loved world wide and and seem to stand out in the majority of memories more than the more realistic castles around the world. They are fanciful and colored differently than real castles for a reason--to make sure they don't become bland like so many of those real castles have become.

I saw this video on another thread. Apparently the upper part of the castle has been pink as early as 1957.

Disneyland Canon 1957 - YouTube

After looking at some pictures side-by-side, I have to say there are elements I like about each. I like the austerity and the strength of the older blue-gray look. However I also like the vibrancy of some of the newer elements. Why not combine the best of both?

Looking at the Current castle, I think what I personally might like to see would be the blue bricks turned to a more subdued blue or gray color, the pink bits turned white or a light cream, and the roofs kept the way they are.

Disney has proven they can recapture excellent vintage looks from what they did with the Matterhorn, I think one of these days they'll move the castle back further to it's older look.

No matter what way you slice it, the castle looks incredible at night during the Christmas season.

• Selfie Expert

While we are complaining about things from fantasies/fairytales/cartoons not being realistic enough - what's with the talking animals? I mean seriously, have YOU ever seen a mouse wearing pants or a dress? Ridiculous!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

ORWEN: Exactly!! Very good point, KellyMc86, duckling! Us Cauldron girls couldn't have put it any better than you did!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    ...things from fantasies/fairytales/cartoons not being realistic enough...
    Do you always equate fantasy and fairytales with cartoons? Or can fantasy and fairytales exist in the three-dimensional world?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast