Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: What year did they color the stone on Sleeping Beauty's castle?

I hate to sound too crass here, but Walt is dead. We all have a certain respect for the man around here, but he's not calling the shots anymore.

We also have no idea what he'd think about the state of Disneyland today because he's not here to say anything. We can quote him all we want, point out concept art from the 1950s, but we have no idea how his opinions and decisions would have changed over the years. None of us here can speak for him. And who knows what the company would be like today if he was still alive. We can all fantasize, but none of us know for sure.

Also, the castle was built before Sleeping Beauty was released. Initially, it was to be named after Snow White. This is what her castle looked like in the film, and doesn't look like the Disneyland version at all. (And I just noticed - the Beast's castle is really a more fanciful version of this.)
    Name:  tumblr_llnv2zYGWW1qavu3i.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  48.5 KB
    Walt made the switch eventually because the company had poured a lot of time and nearly a decade into production for Sleeping Beauty - he wanted to do some marketing/synergy. The actual physical design is based on this real castle, but never based off of its color scheme.
    Name:  Neuschwanstein%u0025255B1%255D.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  154.2 KB
    The films never dictated the structural design, which was lucky considering the switch. But the castle was always intended by Walt to be not only an icon, but a vessel for marketing.

• Selfie Expert

But... but... but Walt would never build a movie tie-in!! (sarcasm)

I have to say, it would be impossible to disagree with you. It's a fact that no one can say how Walt would feel today. All we can do it speculate and share our opinions about it. :-\

In my opinion, the castle that the structure is based on is beautiful, but it doesn't really have the same "fantasy" feel that the Disneyland castle does. It's almost... ominous.

Maybe it's due to color, maybe it's the surroundings, or maybe it's the nostalgia... Either way, I love the Disenyland castle as it is, and would probably love it with any of the color schemes it has donned prior and any it will have in the future.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Nic

While I agree the current color scheme is a tad overpowering, the original color scheme (from the pictures I've seen online) seemed so ... uninspiring. I really like the color scheme they did for the Fantasyland Re-Opening, that seems like the perfect compromise between the original and current colors.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It would seem to me that if Walt did base the castle after a real castle than rather than one of his cartoon castles, the only connection to the cartoon would be the name itself, and the cartoon fantasy displayed within.

In fact I would think that be wanted to have a "real" castle in the park because of its icon as a portal to the other realms within the park. Main Street for all intents and purposes only creates mood. But the realization that one is actually about to enter a world of fantasy is represented by the castle, and having entered Disneyland from the real world only a realistic castle can do the trick. A cartoon castle throws you immediately into the fantasy without a gradual fade from the real world.

And the sleeping beauty walk through is another testament to the fact that the castle is a "real" castle. When you enter the castle you don't see an actual medieval royal setting, you are transported into the fantasy of Sleeping Beauty. This is not the only time Walt does this. You see this again with the Haunted Mansion. And then again, Walt opted for the more realistic and clean exterior that now exists rather than the cliched and perhaps cartoony worn-down exterior that was also proposed.

The castle had pink in the color scheme from the start!

Name:  80_7_18_55_N31B.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  125.3 KBName:  7_18_55_N08B.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  108.1 KBName:  CalColorEk_Summer59_Castle2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  119.8 KB

All these are from 1955-59

So those arguing that Walt favored a more realistic look may want to restructure their arguments.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I hate to sound too crass here, but Walt is dead.
    So too, it seems, are his ideas of thematic integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    But the castle was always intended by Walt to be not only an icon, but a vessel for marketing.
    You are completely wrong on this (at least the marketing part). The Castle was no more concieved as a marketing tool for Sleeping Beauty than the DRR was conceived as a marketing tool for The Great Locomotive Chase.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    We know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    We know. Thanks.
    You're welcome. Richard.

So too, it seems, are his ideas of thematic integrity.

You are completely wrong on this (at least the marketing part). The Castle was no more concieved as a marketing tool for Sleeping Beauty than the DRR was conceived as a marketing tool for The Great Locomotive Chase.
    Wait, so it was just a coincidence that Sleeping Beauty's Castle looked exactly like the one in the movie with the name Sleeping Beauty? My mind is blown. Especially since The Great Locomotive Chase isn't called the Grand Circle Tour. I'm glad we get insider info like this.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

This shows how far the The Walt Disney Company's spin of its own history has penetrated. Walt's interests being expressed in various mediums has been spun as the same sort of soulless marketing and synergy of today. Everywhere Disney fans look to prove that Disneyland has not changed in spirit and that it has always been the crass commercial its detractors have claimed.

You're welcome. Richard.
    lol!

You're welcome. Richard.
    +1

Name:  80_7_18_55_N31B.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  125.3 KBName:  7_18_55_N08B.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  108.1 KBName:  CalColorEk_Summer59_Castle2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  119.8 KB

All these are from 1955-59

So those arguing that Walt favored a more realistic look may want to restructure their arguments.
    thank you for posting these; and a certain poster says the current castle is "pepto" colored? oh brother...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite goat View Post
    Wait, so it was just a coincidence that Sleeping Beauty's Castle looked exactly like the one in the movie with the name Sleeping Beauty?
    You have GOT to be kidding me. They bear only the most cursory resemblance.

You have GOT to be kidding me. They bear only the most cursory resemblance.
    Wow! You're right, Sleeping Beauty Castle and the movie Sleeping Beauty have nothing to do with each other.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast