Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

• Sultan of Swing

Re: What year did they color the stone on Sleeping Beauty's castle?

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    That's what I've been saying, too. It seems like it comes down to how each person associates the colors of the castle, which is then associated with Disneyland and the happy feelings and memories we have there. I'd venture to say that those who grew up with the old colors prefer them, and those who grew up with the new scheme prefer those. Nostalgia strikes again! And I don't think it's a bad thing.
    If only there was a way to please both since we can't simply Paint Half the Castle Haha. We need a poll to tally what Micechatters think the Color Scheme of the Castle should be. Also yes Nostalgia wins since it is "Disneyland's Best Friend".
    Always read the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by BugSam101 View Post
    If only there was a way to please both since we can't simply Paint Half the Castle Haha. We need a poll to tally what Micechatters think the Color Scheme of the Castle should be. Also yes Nostalgia wins since it is "Disneyland's Best Friend".

Ill admit I prefer my era of colors because of nostalgia if the other side admits the same lol.

I've got a good idea about how to please everyone(not really...) Keep the current colors until it needs repainting and then paint it something different so us who like it now can complain about the new colors being all wrong then. The cycle will continue haha
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    NOW you're getting it! The castle came first.
    Not really. The film was not released until 1959, but the production of Sleeping Beauty took close to 10 years. The animation alone took five, and started in 1953.

The Sleeping Beauty film walkthrough - conveniently located in the castle - opened in 1957, two years before the movie came out.

Daveland Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama Photo Page

Magazines from 1957 refer specifically to Aurora and Maleficent in relation to the castle. This one is from February 1957.

WD+Mag+feb+57_DL1.jpg (image)

I suppose one could argue until the end of time that Walt intended the castle to be medieval and have nothing to do with Sleeping Beauty the film - but considering that it was themed pink from the very beginning, and it was tied in with the film characters two years before the film even came out, that might be a bit of a stretch.

The original brochure from Disneyland notes that it was in fact Sleeping Beauty's castle, where she's sleeping, and there's a notable reference to attractions based on Disney's films:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UX1rCk2voQ...chure_text.jpg

Other brochures show the castle looking very much like the film animation:
    http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/twabrochure1.jpg
    Last edited by Malina; 12-31-2012 at 07:59 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, about the top of the castle being backwards. I did a google search about it, and what I found was quite interesting.

Pink really has never been my favorite color. However, I think the castle has a nice mix of both pink and blue. Even if the pink is little bit close to a "hot pink".

The colors are not what excite me about the castle. Instead, there is a feeling that comes over me when I see it. A feeling of happiness. The castle is the entrance to my very favorite part of Disneyland, and that is Fantasyland. I can't help but be happy when I walk through the castle, and when I first see it. It represents the moment that "I am about to have a super great time".
    You've really hit the nail on the head here, Barbaraann. Thank you for this post.

I suppose there are two ways of approaching Disney: to cut open the golden goose or to enjoy the shiny eggs. I prefer the latter, myself....

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Ill admit I prefer my era of colors because of nostalgia if the other side admits the same lol.

I've got a good idea about how to please everyone(not really...) Keep the current colors until it needs repainting and then paint it something different so us who like it now can complain about the new colors being all wrong then. The cycle will continue haha
    Haha now there's an idea! Maybe we can have a 5 year cycle of grey and pink. We can all take turns complaining. Problem solved!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Maybe it's just me, but the castle appears smaller when it's painted pink. While the Disneyland castle was never huge, it just seemed larger when it was blue and gray.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the castle appears smaller when it's painted pink. While the Disneyland castle was never huge, it just seemed larger when it was blue and gray.
    I honestly don't remember it being gray, but maybe it had a more imposing presence in the more realistic coloring? It would be interesting to put pictures side by side from the same point of view to see if that effect transfers in photography!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• The Sea Monster Fangirl

California (20 minutes away from the happiest place on Earth)

So by the logic of some people in this thread, the castles in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films do not evoke fantasy since they're not in Crayola colors.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerHappy View Post
    So by the logic of some people in this thread, the castles in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films do not evoke fantasy since they're not in Crayola colors.
    Are... are there castles in LotR? All I can think of is the Rohan one, and it was pretty small. I've never really thought of Helm's Deep, Minis Tirith, Minis Morgul, etc. as castles.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Minion

ORWEN: I think the taller trees that have grown around the castle over the years are what makes it look smaller.

ORDDU: And I'd like to say that, yes, Walt Disney DID make the decision to use Sleeping Beauty's castle as a marketing tool to tie in with the upcoming animated film. That should be obvious.

ORGOCH: Well, what I wanna' know is when they's ever gonna' build a castle fer the Horny King??? He's been waitin' way too long fer some attention!!!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    The castle had pink in the color scheme from the start!

All these are from 1955-59

So those arguing that Walt favored a more realistic look may want to restructure their arguments.
    Not really. Take note, the photos attached in your post contained a much more muted pink than the “sunglasses required” pink that is there now. In addition, the stones had a much more realistic look than the cartoony look that they now have.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not really. Take note, the photos attached in your post contained a much more muted pink than the “sunglasses required” pink that is there now. In addition, the stones had a much more realistic look than the cartoony look that they now have.
    Bingo. Also the hue, color saturation and contrast are 'way off on those photos -- especially the third one. They're great home snapshots, but in no way valid as color reference.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Why is it that the happiest place on earth generates some of the most heated discussions, especially on something (color) that is so subjective? We all see color differently; when it comes to photographing something, adding in sunlight, fading, repaints, restoration, and photoshop, and it becomes even more subjective. Still, I'm going to chime in with I know. In all of the official Disneyland material I own, the Castle has been referred to as Sleeping Beauty Castle (no apostrophe 's' at the end) from the 1955 Bank of America Disneyland Brochure to 1958, 1961, 1965, 1968, 1970, all the way to the present day website.

And here are a few photos of the Castle over the years, starting with July 18, 1955:

October 1958:

December 1962:

January 1968:

March 1975:

May 1993:

To March 2012:
    See vintage & current Disneyland photos, 24/7
    http://davelandweb.com/disneyland
    http://davelandblog.blogspot.com

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Davelandweb View Post
    In all of the official Disneyland material I own, the Castle has been referred to as Sleeping Beauty Castle (no apostrophe 's' at the end) from the 1955 Bank of America Disneyland Brochure to 1958, 1961, 1965, 1968, 1970, all the way to the present day website.
    In the 1953 prospectus, it's called the "medieval castle." It's also It's also been called "Snow White's Castle" as well as appearing as "Sleeping Beauty's Castle" in the opening day press release--with the apostrphe "s".

Oh, and thanks for posting that last picture, which reminded me of another blow to the fomerly realistic castle: Squirrel scuppers on the ramparts.

Really? Squirrel scuppers? But they're just so gosh-darn cute!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-04-2013 at 07:05 AM.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Perhaps Disney can release a new book:

50 shades of PINK: How a seaming small color change split a fandom forever!

Of course this would have a forward by Michael Eisner to explain how making the castle just a bit darker made him millions!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast