Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• former CM

Re: Tom Staggs Says -- "It Can't Just Be About Nostalgia"

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Isn't Staggs next in line to be CEO once Iger resigns? If so, then I dread the day he comes into office.
    In March of 2015.

Steve Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell, controls a lot of Disney stock. If she and others could support John Lasseter to be the next CEO, then Staggs might be effective in the #2 businessman role held by Roy Disney, Sr. and Frank Wells. Or Staggs could run the Gap.

If Lasseter can't or won't do it then maybe Steve Burke of Universal could take Disney's #1 spot, though Burke has positioned his company to grow against Disney over the next few years.

I don't suppose Brad Bird has an MBA or experience running a studio or network, does he? Didn't think so.

Or Jeffrey Katzenberg could sell Dreamworks Animation to Universal (or ?) for at least two billion and become Disney's CEO. Dreamwork Animation is a great place to work, so he could end his business career by improving the lives of Disney's large cast.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-23-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Tom Staggs, is a MBA who arrived to Disney with no prior theme park or creative experience.
    Typical of all the Disney head brass: Great with spreadsheets and financial formulas but out of touch with showmanship, Walt Disney's Ideals or any idea of what constitutes good attractions or a good show. They are experts at Power point and pushing there agenda's through the use of creating "Guest Surveys" skewed to get the answers they wish to hear so they can add it to the next power point presentation and spreadsheet.

Tom Staggs Bio:
    Thomas O. Staggs is chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and presides over the company's worldwide vacation and travel businesses, which include 11 theme parks at five destination resorts in the United States, Europe and Asia; a top-rated cruise line; a popular vacation-ownership program; and award-winning guided family adventures to destinations around the globe. Mr. Staggs began his current role on January 1, 2010.

Staggs was most recently senior executive vice president and chief financial officer of The Walt Disney Company, where he oversaw the company's worldwide finance organization, corporate strategy and development, brand management, acquisitions, corporate alliances, investor relations, treasury and risk management activities, controller functions, information systems, corporate outreach, real estate and taxes.

He played an important role in a wide variety of Disney's strategic and operating initiatives and various Disney strategic joint ventures and corporate transactions, including the acquisitions of Capital Cities/ABC, Pixar Animation Studios and Marvel Entertainment. As CFO, he spearheaded Disney's realignment of its performance goals toward the combination of profit growth and strong long term capital returns and free cash flow. He also led the Company's efforts to drive greater cost and capital efficiency throughout the organization and to put in place well-received company-wide environmental and healthy food policies.

Staggs joined Disney in 1990 as Manager of Strategic Planning and soon advanced through a series of positions of increased responsibility, becoming Senior Vice President of Strategic Planning and Development in 1995 before becoming CFO and Executive Vice President in 1998. Born in Illinois, Staggs received a BS in business from University of Minnesota and an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business. He worked in investment banking at Morgan Stanley & Co. before joining Disney.
    The Walt Disney Company

If I were in charge of Disney Corp. I would fire every single one of these people. Bring leaders who worked there way up from the ground floor, and know, honor and respect the legacy of Walt Disney. Who understand that you can make money while still putting on a good show. Make sure that you have a good well taken care of cast who are trained appropriately, and treat the guests with the respect that they deserve. Instead of spending Billions of dollars in "Next Gen" initiatives, why not focus on fixing what is truly broken and make things better.

• Minion

We’re nostalgic for imagination.
    We’re nostalgic for originality.
    We’re nostalgic for creativity.
    We’re nostalgic for interactivity.
    We’re nostalgic for storyline.
    We’re nostalgic for atmosphere.
    We’re nostalgic for characters.
    We’re nostalgic for humor.
    We’re nostalgic for drama.
    We’re nostalgic for surprise.
    We’re nostalgic for design.
    We’re nostalgic for details.
    We’re nostalgic for verisimilitude.
    We’re nostalgic for the suspension of disbelief.
    We’re nostalgic for theme as a unifying concept.
    We’re nostalgic for experiences that can be found at no other park.
    We’re nostalgic for merchandise unique to a land, or even attraction-specific, that can be bought nowhere else.
    We’re nostalgic for “the magic” which is still being sold by the park’s advertising while getting harder and harder to find in the park itself.
    We’re nostalgic for “the happiest place on Earth.”
    It’s not specific bygone attractions we’re nostalgic for, it’s the intangible qualities that they had. Intangibles that can’t be bought, only created by the minds of the Imagineers.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    If I were in charge of Disney Corp. I would fire every single one of these people. Bring leaders who worked there way up from the ground floor, and know, honor and respect the legacy of Walt Disney. Who understand that you can make money while still putting on a good show. Make sure that you have a good well taken care of cast who are trained appropriately, and treat the guests with the respect that they deserve. Instead of spending Billions of dollars in "Next Gen" initiatives, why not focus on fixing what is truly broken and make things better.
    If you were on the shareholder ballot - you would have my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    We’re nostalgic for merchandise unique to a land, or even attraction-specific, that can be bought nowhere else.
    We’re nostalgic for “the magic” which is still being sold by the park’s advertising while getting harder and harder to find in the park itself.
    It’s not specific bygone attractions we’re nostalgic for, it’s the intangible qualities that they had. Intangibles that can’t be bought, only created by the minds of the Imagineers.
    The current Disney Board of "Directeers" or "Manageers" could NEVER understand this.

Bravo!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Can't wait 'til your next interview, when you roll out terms like "collateral damage" and "acceptable losses."
    "We had to destroy Disneyland in order to save it."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

You know what....

There's lines for these meet & greets. But in the past, there were no meet & greet! It was a random fun thing that you couldn't predict. Oh you met Big Bad Wolf? Last time we met Scrooge McDuck (possible if you're NOT in Disneyland). This kind of chance thing made the Disney experience more fun and random.

Yes, I hear the argument. There are long lines so they must love it right?. But do they really? Who is it for -- The kids? Does this really make the family happy? I'd argue that it doesn't. They do it because they have to.

I'm pretty sure if there was no "meet & greet" the family would be out DOING something and maybe BUYING something and making REAL experiences and memories happen. Not this forced fake "magic".

Okay yes, I hear the other argument. They got a lot of complaints from people because they didn't get to meet X, Y, and Z. Well... tough. They just have to come back another time to get that memory won't they? And spend another fortune doing so!

(can you tell I'm basically against the general concept of meet & greet locations?)

But back to Snow White Scary Adventures... it's not the original one so I'm not that heart-broken about that going away. Now, if it were Disneyland's, I would definitely feel a bit more torn. The good thing Staggs did was to have sons... paving the way for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster. Is that a fair trade? it's something unique at least so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. For now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I've been trying to avoid this thread, because it's stuff like this that rubs me the wrong way. Everyone seems to think that it simply HAS to be about "nostalgia" or else. Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    But back to Snow White Scary Adventures... it's not the original one so I'm not that heart-broken about that going away. Now, if it were Disneyland's, I would definitely feel a bit more torn. The good thing Staggs did was to have sons... paving the way for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster. Is that a fair trade? it's something unique at least so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. For now.
    I think the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride looks good.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Your Nemesis

My response will be divided into two parts. In the first part I will agree with/defend Tom Staggs, the second I shall criticize him.

True, it can't be just about nostalgia

Now that we have that out of the way:

How is replacing an original ride that people from all over the world still love and appreciate an improvement? How is it that you managed to double the size of Fantasyland and yet you still had to remove a ride to make it all fit. I may not live in Florida but I do know that WDW has plenty of land to expand, so this was not a necessary decision. What I did not know prior to this thread was that there is a meet and greet in that new area. I understand that meet and greets are important to some people, but couldn't it have been done in a way that would have allowed Snow White's Adventures to remain?

I guess my real problem is this: Sure I don't visit WDW and maybe the new areas are rather spectacular. But this is the same person who operates all Disney theme parks, including the Disneyland Resort (which I do hold very dear to my heart). If he can try to justify these decisions at WDW, then nothing is stopping him from employing these same tactics anywhere. I like to place areas of the parks into three categories:
    1) Areas that need no changes
    2) Areas that will need changes eventually, but are not an immediate priority
    3) Areas that need changes immediately.

Why would anybody replace attractions/areas that fit into the first or second category when there are still some in the third? Tomorrowland is a perfect example. Star Tours belongs in category 1, BLAB in category 2, and Innoventions in category 3. As much as I believe that BLAB is not the best possible use of its space, Innoventions will always be a priority so long as it exists. Eventually BLAB will be the worst thing in Tomorrowland, and that's when it should be replaced. Removing Snow White in favor of a meet and greet is not acceptable, and anyone who can defend that decision could easily defend the removal of additional "nostalgic" attractions. In other words, when today's average becomes tomorrow's below average, then I will know progress is being made. Until then, I applaud the efforts of Bob Iger and give a standing ovation to those of John Lasseter, but I won't so much as blink in the direction of Tom Staggs if he continues to work off of these principles.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    Everyone seems to think that it simply HAS to be about "nostalgia" or else.
    Nope. That's not what everyone thinks.

In fact, that's not what anyone thinks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    Agreed!!!

I think the removal of Snow White ride for Meet and Greet is Stupid!
    Look on the bright side. Yes, Disney World lost its original Snow White ride. But they are getting an awesome roller coaster in return. You really can't have two Snow White rides in the same park. And I imagine that elements from the original ride will be repurposed for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Look on the bright side. Yes, Disney World lost its original Snow White ride. But they are getting an awesome roller coaster in return. You really can't have two Snow White rides in the same park. And I imagine that elements from the original ride will be repurposed for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
    What they should have done was theme the new ride to a different property and leave the Snow White ride where it was. That would solve the problem of two Snow White rides.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Member of Baxter's Army

What about Alice In Wonderland and the Mad Tea Party two rides both based on the same movie in Disneyland. or a more recent example, an entire land based on one film, Carsland?

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Yet evolution is as much a part of Disney’s DNA as mouse ears. - Tom Stagg's
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Is that what you call it, Tom? "Casualties?" Golly, and all this time everyone (except your legions of corporate groupthink-alikes) thought that you were just continuing your mentor Michael's tradition of offering less while charging more. Thanks for the clarification.
    Did either of you bother to read the article? Tom Stagg never said either thing you both attributed to him. Tom Stagg was quoted once the entire article which consisted of:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stagg
    “It can’t just be about nostalgia,”
    Both of the lines, incorrectly credited to Stagg (not by the article), are the view of the author of the article, Stephanie Rosenbloom. They are her thoughts about Disney and in fact the entire bit was:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Rosenbloom
    Along the way, there were casualties, like Snow White’s Scary Adventures, a ride that had been in the park since it opened in 1971. Purists grumble when a classic ride like that is shuttered. Yet evolution is as much a part of Disney’s DNA as mouse ears. The parks are always changing.
    She wasn't quoting Stagg, she was expressing her view. If there is the need to rage against someone, Rosenbloom used the words "Purists grumble" as a shot at a certain Disney fandom. There is enough vitriol between the various viewpoints without anyone having to, either through laziness or agenda, spread inaccuracies to these discussions.

If anyone wants to read it, here is the link to the article:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/12/23...anted=all&_r=0
    Last edited by Timicus; 12-28-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

That may have been their thinking too. But why can you not have two rides from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? At DL's Fantasyland, you have Casey Jr. and Dumbo right next to each other, both are from the Movie Dumbo. You also have Alice and Wonderland, next to the Tea Cups, so again, both from the same movie.

Someone else post Meet and Greets were more popular then this SW attraction that "sometimes did not have a line." Your not comparing correctly. Who is doing the meet and greet? The last disney Character? what is the capacity of the Meet and Greet?

If it is able to host four or five familys at one time... I would argue that 16 or so families are riding SW at one time. The capacity is much higher and MUCH more consistent for the ride then for the princess meet and greet.

Never judge an attractions popularity but the length of its line for that is only one of many many factors you much consider.

The meet and greet should have gone else where, and SW should have remained. Like Tom. I think he is ok and not the Eisner many try to paint him to be. Tom did a lot of things right when he came in, revisited new Fantasyland concepts and changes things up.

But Closing SW was not one of those things he did right. That said, I will Keep Tom in Parks and Resorts over Jay any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Well said.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast