Eisner or Steinberg?

This is probably going to be a tough question I'm about to ask, so I'm probably going to have to tread carefully: with all these threads and posts and whatnot that seem to be always going after someone corporate simply because they don't seem to see eye-to-eye with the fans or Walt's ways, I finally decided to get it off my chest...

In 1984, the company was on the verge of being broken up and sold off by corporate raiders, such as Saul Steinberg. However, Roy E. Disney brought in Michael Eisner (and Frank Wells) to save the company. Since then, however, especially after 1994, thanks to Eisner, fans seem to have thought that the company had sold the ways of Walt down the river and that now no one in the company cares about its history anymore.

So I can't help but wonder, would it have been better to exist with Eisner, or not to exist, thanks to Steinberg?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Down Pluto!

Re: Eisner or Steinberg?

Are you assuming if Disney was sold off in pieces that Disneyland would not exist? It is just as likely that the "corporate raider" would do a worse job in protecting and continuing Walt's legacy.

So I can't help but wonder, would it have been better to exist with Eisner and end up with endless movie tie-ins, or to exist possibly in more capable hands that understand the qualities that made the park great and continue the tradition, thanks to Steinberg?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Re: Eisner or Steinberg?

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Are you assuming if Disney was sold off in pieces that Disneyland would not exist? It is just as likely that the "corporate raider" would do a worse job in protecting and continuing Walt's legacy.

So I can't help but wonder, would it have been better to exist with Eisner and end up with endless movie tie-ins, or to exist possibly in more capable hands that understand the qualities that made the park great and continue the tradition, thanks to Steinberg?
    I was under the impression that if Steinberg and other corporate raiders had had their way, Disney would not exist at all. Period.

P.S., I accidentally made this thread twice. To carry on with the discussion, go to this thread here (with a poll): Eisner or Steinberg?.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin