Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Autopia Idea - probably not feasible but still fun to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    Man I like the way you think. That would be a blast that track would be insane going around at 50 mph. They could have a celebrity to kart race every year fun idea.
    Here's an idea... late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, put barriers up and have a massive charity Kart race around D-Land - The Disneyland Grand Prix! Imagine tearing through NOS, Big Thunder Trail, and Main Street with your foot to the floor, drifting around tight corners in Fanstayland and Adventureland... There's probably some good locations to do it through the resort too... DCA could host a track too!

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Here's an idea... late at night or in the wee hours of the morning, put barriers up and have a massive charity Kart race around D-Land - The Disneyland Grand Prix! Imagine tearing through NOS, Big Thunder Trail, and Main Street with your foot to the floor, drifting around tight corners in Fanstayland and Adventureland... There's probably some good locations to do it through the resort too... DCA could host a track too!
    I'd want to do that too!

• President of the Universe

Smart Cars

I have a slightly different thought on a future vision for Autopia.

We are in the age where cars are getting smarter - witness adaptive cruise control, automatic lane-drift warnings, cars that parallel park themselves, even cars that can completely drive themselves.

How cool would it be to remove the "slot" from Autopia and let the cars be completely free-driving (like they were in 1955 until they all got wrecked on July 18th - LOL) until the car's sensors detect the sides, other cars, etc. and take evasive action.

Then as you approach the load/unload zone, the computers would take over, arranging the cars in perfectly spaced lines, demoing the possible future of interstate travel where computer control enables safe, effective use of the available roadway.

Imagine a partnership not with Chevron but with Google or Volvo (both big into self-driving cars) to showcase their technology.

These cars would be electric or other clean tech. Kids would still love to drive the cars, adults would be intrigued by the technology (and perhaps grow to become more comfortable with it) AND Autopia would finally fit thematically in Tomorrowland. Triple win.

Spire

• ooooooOO!

that's a great idea Spire! Sure has me interested in the possibilities! It wouldn't be too far-fetched either considering GPS utilities Google technology. This is definitely the way to go if Disney wishes to retain a "freeway of the future" in the parks, today.
    .:: ::.

• Banned User

Re: Smart Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Spire View Post
    I have a slightly different thought on a future vision for Autopia.

We are in the age where cars are getting smarter - witness adaptive cruise control, automatic lane-drift warnings, cars that parallel park themselves, even cars that can completely drive themselves.

How cool would it be to remove the "slot" from Autopia and let the cars be completely free-driving (like they were in 1955 until they all got wrecked on July 18th - LOL) until the car's sensors detect the sides, other cars, etc. and take evasive action.

Then as you approach the load/unload zone, the computers would take over, arranging the cars in perfectly spaced lines, demoing the possible future of interstate travel where computer control enables safe, effective use of the available roadway.

Imagine a partnership not with Chevron but with Google or Volvo (both big into self-driving cars) to showcase their technology.

These cars would be electric or other clean tech. Kids would still love to drive the cars, adults would be intrigued by the technology (and perhaps grow to become more comfortable with it) AND Autopia would finally fit thematically in Tomorrowland. Triple win.

Spire

Google's Disneyland!

even if they updated autopia, it'd still be a wasted attraction sitting on E-ticket land.

I would still not be interested in that area of T-land

• Mostly Harmless.

This! Also, drag turtle shells, bananas and whatnot to fire at the other racers! And add a loop!!!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    This! Also, drag turtle shells, bananas and whatnot to fire at the other racers! And add a loop!!!
    Add the Top Gear UK boys to narrate the attraction and we've got a winner here!

Let's get the Stig as a character to wander around the ride! XD

• Hukuna Matata!

Yeah that would be fun, a few spots came to mind when I read your post, It would be a blast.

• Mostly Harmless.

Add the Top Gear UK boys to narrate the attraction and we've got a winner here!

Let's get the Stig as a character to wander around the ride! XD
    win!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

•   

Spire's idea makes as much sense as any other, plus it opens the doors for a sponsor that has experience at this sort of thing.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

What happened 7/18/55?

• Minion

The Burners' cars from Motorcity always comes to mind when thinking about alternate themes for Autopia. Too bad it's getting cancelled after it's first season.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    What happened 7/18/55?
    The original Autopia cars didn't have a guide rail, just 360 degree bumpers, and by the end of the day many of the cars crashed and were inoperable. Not sure actually if this was on 7/17/55 or 7/18/55 (public opening date).

Pretty cool pictures of Autopia through the years here http://davelandweb.com/autopia/

I'm going to agree that Spire's idea is great.

Instead of having an interior "slot" (track) to correct the driver's course, there is a magnetic "wall" on the edges of the track, correcting your velocity(bearing/speed). I have a place in my heart for the mkvii design, but a sleeker, more futuristic (inTommorland? GASP) design is really something I would look forward to.

The current Autopia is an abominable mess. Replacement of the queue and track is the only thing that can save it. I really don't like it at all, as it is, but I'd like to see it succeed as a preview of our future. I like underdogs, what can I say?
    Last edited by dynamite goat; 12-31-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: silly spelling mistake

Goat,

I agree with the idea of replacing the existing queue and track. Plop a great E-ticket attraction where Autopia and the subs now sit, and integrate the new Autopia track around the new attraction.

Keep in mind if done right, Autopia 2.0 they could double the speed of Autopia (since crashes should no longer be possible) which would be fun...plus with no rail, cars could change lanes, pass, etc. Could be really cool....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast