Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Labyrinth - Fantasyland

I loved the Alice version in Paris and know it would fit like a glove in the old moterboat ride area. Labyrinth is a movie I watch at least 2x a year, but I understand I'm part of its smaller cult following that is upset that Lucasfilm's "Howard the Duck" will not be part of the new Marvel Tomorrowland attractions. I'll never hear that Thomas Dolby Duck song from the Musac speakers near the Spce Mountain restrooms.

• I'm reaching new Horizons

I'll admit that Labyrinth is a pretty good movie. But an attraction on that franchise is too late at this point.

The problem I have is that the movie has not held up too well. The 80's music is entertaining, but it doesn't have that timelessness that Disney is used to producing. The synthesized sounds of "Magic Jump" would feel too out of place.

The other issue is that the tone and imagery just doesn't match that of the other attractions in Fantasyland.

The only way that we'll ever see anything Labyrinth related in the park is if Disney were to ever do a reboot, but I doubt thats in the cards.

Be check out my movie review blog at:

Mastermind Film Productions

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    It is quite suited for a dark ride. Peter Pan is dated too...
    Comparing Labyrinth to Peter Pan is like comparing GI Joe and the Pyramid of Darkness to Gone with the Wind.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

FYI: Whether it David Bowie or the better fitting Alice, here is a random video on the Paris Disneyland Labyrinth. This gives you the chill experience of wondering through this attraction and its SkyWay height arial view payoff from the castle inside it. This is Perfect for the moterboat location no matter how it's themed. You'd be able to see the labyrinth from the outside portion of the Alice ride. One entrance facing the 2 Alice rides and another facing the topiary at Small world. A place with tea, coffee etc. would be great too(across the path and a little further down from the storybook ride). Way better than a Beauty and The Beast restaurant you have to shell over yet more money just to experience. Take a little anxiety out of fantasyland and put in a fun park under the shade of the Matterhorn!!!
    Last edited by eicarr; 01-02-2013 at 01:43 PM.

• Doombuggy Rider

How to interpret - Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Willow - into a Walt Disney Theme Park (& what section(s) would each Attraction, or Ride, based on these films be best suited for). They are all Fantasy films - rated PG like Indiana Jones - so they certainly wouldn't be meant for younger children too fragile for dark(er) themes (I think ages in 3rd Grade & older would be fine) ....

I better stop here before some Walt Disney Co Executive starts to think any Ride, or Attraction, involving the three Films listed above requires a Gift Shop @ the exit to schill lots of overpriced cheap merchandise (rolls eyes) ...

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Just drawn that way

Love it!!!! Really like the idea....plus the wonderland one in Paris was sooo fun for my whole family!
    Little and broken, but still good.

So, as you may recall, the Fantasy Film Labyrinth is owned by Henson and Lucasfilm aka Disney.

who would enjoy a labyrinth themed attraction (a dark ride perhaps) hidden somewhere in fantasyland? It is much better and more fun than the recent atrocity by Disney and Tim Burton called Alice in Wonderland...

just a fantasy, but what do you think?
    Everything at Disneyland or any Disney park doesn't have to be themed to a movie. There are more than enough dark rides.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    Everything at Disneyland or any Disney park doesn't have to be themed to a movie. There are more than enough dark rides.
    And... It's not.

More than enough? Never.

Sorry to burst this bubble. I'm a big fan of Labyrinth, and pretty much anything Jim Henson. But when Disney finally did buy the Muppets, they did NOT buy Labyrinth or Dark Crystal or Fraggle Rock. Those are still owned by Jim Henson's children, who have the Jim Henson Company, which is not owned by Disney. Plus, as much as I loved Labyrinth, it isn't really widely known anymore. Disney would have been better off working to get a deal with the Tolkien estate to build a Middle Earth land or park, but if rumors are correct, then Universal has gotten there first. Cheers.

I would love an Alice attraction at WDW (besides the teacups), I was really hoping for one when the newest movie was released.. then again when they announced the expansion. Both Alice and the Hatter have a pretty large presence there with character meal appearances, parade floats, etc. I had no idea Paris had one, will be searching for photos asap.

While I adore both Labyrinth and Dark Crystal I don't think either of them are timely or classic enough for a new attraction. Not sure how many kids these days even know about them. Mine do, but that is because they were "required childhood viewing" in my house, lol. The Goonies would be a heck of a lot of fun too, I'm imagining something interactive like Tom Sawyers island, with the caves, puzzles, maps, and pirate ship. Yet again, I'm thinking a lot of the new generation would have little interest in the theme.

Never enough dark rides.. and they are becoming an endangered species. Especially at WDW.

I'd love to see something based on Labyrinth but not in Fantasyland I think put it in DCA I can imagine a Muppet based area that updates the Muppet Theatre attraction already existing, Labyrinth by creating an actual labyrinth with elements based in the film, The Dark Crystal is also ripe and get the sequel unshelved. Also while having a say about Dark Crustal, thank goodness it's been shelved from the lunatics who wanted to CGI it, it's Muppets or nothing!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Internitty View Post
    I'd love to see something based on Labyrinth but not in Fantasyland I think put it in DCA I can imagine a Muppet based area that updates the Muppet Theatre attraction already existing, Labyrinth by creating an actual labyrinth with elements based in the film, The Dark Crystal is also ripe and get the sequel unshelved. Also while having a say about Dark Crustal, thank goodness it's been shelved from the lunatics who wanted to CGI it, it's Muppets or nothing!
    What does either Labyrinth or the Dark Crystal have to do with CA?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    What does either Labyrinth or the Dark Crystal have to do with CA?

I suppose it depends on how one interprets Disney's California Adventure.

• -

I suppose it depends on how one interprets Disney's California Adventure.
    The re-dedication plaque:
    To all who come to this place of dreams, welcome. Disney California Adventure celebrates the spirit of optimism and the promise of endless opportunities, ignited by the imagination of daring dreamers such as Walt Disney and those like him who forever changed- and were forever changed by- The Golden State. This unique place embraces the richness and diversity of California... Its land, its people, its stories and, above all, the dreamers it continues to inspire.
    Robert A. Iger, June 15, 2012
    Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal don't seem to fit into that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast