Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Blew By You

Re: Univision ruins New Years for the second year in a row?

Watching the telecast now. I think it's nice to see the Sleeping Beauty Castle as did my daughter. I don't know what it's like there, but I can see lots of people so I guess it's a crowded theme park. Yeah, I would be upset if the stage construction was blocking usable walking space. But now would be the time to be getting on the attractions, avoid the crowds around the Univision stages and have some fun.

•   
    • Minion

Here's the other side of the coin, though: if they hadn't put up that stage/area and hadn't broadcast it, there would have been complaints that there was no way for the outside world to share in the excitement at DLR.

I get that the stage is a nuisance and obstructs views...but it's not the only place to stand right? I know the crowds camp out early but if you know the stage is there can't you scout another good spot early on?

• Selfie Expert

They should get some of those flying camera things like at football games haha

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

Is this the 2 story building we are discussing??

If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Banned User

If you know that the stage is going to be there and be blocking your view why would you camp out there starting at 5 am to see the fireworks? That doesn't make any sense. Additionally, you can see the fireworks from all over the park... as most of the people who were in the park last night did. There's no reason to be right in front of the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    Anyone know if this is streaming online anywhere? Here in Indiana, we don't get Univision...
    A little too late, but for future reference, if you have cable, many cable companies simply carry the Miami (EST/CST) or Los Angeles (MST/PST) affiliates of Univision in cities without local stations.

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    If you know that the stage is going to be there and be blocking your view why would you camp out there starting at 5 am to see the fireworks? That doesn't make any sense. Additionally, you can see the fireworks from all over the park... as most of the people who were in the park last night did. There's no reason to be right in front of the castle.
    This!

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by erdons View Post
    Would this thread have been made if ABC was there instead of Univision?
    I think the thread would have been made even if it was Rolly Crump's NYE retrospective display with host Julie Andrews.

Univision is on my list of top reasons why I no longer go to NYE celebrations at Disneyland for the fact that every 20 minutes leading up to countdown the audience boosters come out and urge people to cheer during the broadcast. The only problem is that the host is speaking Spanish and most everyone there can't even guess the where the cues to cheer are. In 06' or 07', I forget, Univision ran a broadcast that ended up being a lead-in to countdown. This confused a lot of people.

Why Univision can't be moved to the Fantasmic stage I don't know but it seems to me that it would work out better for the network, who could have a more continual uninterrupted broadcast, and the guests that want to have a less obstructed view of the fireworks.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post

Are either of you visiting the park tonight for NYE? If not, I feel this is an unfair criticism to the 1000's of people who have traveled far and wide to the park today having no idea that this large structure will be there creating an even more difficult task of getting a view of the castle while ringing in the new year. To some its even a yearly tradition. And the booth will most likely have a rope margin taking even more space. So I understand that people get to watch it home, but for the people who actually made the trip to be there, its made their NYE plan that much more difficult. I don't think people who actually went will be grateful Univision set up shop smack dab in the hub.

There was nothing like watching the count down from Sleeping Beauty Castle bridge and this is no longer possible. Sure its not the end of the world and you can watch the fireworks from the parking lot, but the out cry is it used to be better. A lot of things used to be better to some of us and seeing the change effects a lot of us.

Directed at me. No, I was in Vegas with over 300,000 other people.
    I may be more mature than the average cry baby I suppose. If I see something, et al a structure erected for an event, I don't think I would have much reason to whine about it. I understand that they may not have put it there to specifically ruin MY experience. Now, if it had a bold sign stating "THIS STRUCTURE WAS ERECTED SO DJS WOULD HAVE A TERRIBLE TIME WATCHING THE EVENT" ... I might feel a bit different.

For anyone who really is hurt by the accommodations provided for all visitors and partners, too bad, grow up already.

And to the silly folk who sit behind these things early, I mean... Come on... Do they do it to feel they have more validity to their whining?

Happy New Year.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post

Why Univision can't be moved to the Fantasmic stage I don't know but it seems to me that it would work out better for the network, who could have a more continual uninterrupted broadcast, and the guests that want to have a less obstructed view of the fireworks.
    Why should they move? They want to broadcast, and I'm sure Disney would prefer them to, from the most iconic location in the parks. Make total sense as to why Disney wanted then there.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Have you ever seen Remember from in front of the Castle and all the stuff they do AT the castle for the show? Some of the fireworks shows are designed to be seen right in front of the castle.

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I think the thread would have been made even if it was Rolly Crump's NYE retrospective display with host Julie Andrews.

Univision is on my list of top reasons why I no longer go to NYE celebrations at Disneyland for the fact that every 20 minutes leading up to countdown the audience boosters come out and urge people to cheer during the broadcast. The only problem is that the host is speaking Spanish and most everyone there can't even guess the where the cues to cheer are. In 06' or 07', I forget, Univision ran a broadcast that ended up being a lead-in to countdown. This confused a lot of people.

Nearly 40% of people in LA County are spanish speakers, around 4 million people. 35 million do in the US which is 12% of the total population so I'm pretty sure there were quite a few people around you who understood.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm not a Spanish speaking person, but I'm sure I could figure out when the cue's would be to cheer.

I've yet to see a picture of this humongous monstrosity that totally impeded everybody's enjoyment of New Years Eve festivities at Disneyland. We were at the resort from about 10-6 on NYE, spent it all at DCA and had an absolutely fantastic time. I didn't hear about this from any friends who were inside Disneyland that day.

NYE is not a "normal" day in the parks, you don't go to ride all the rides. Just roll with the flow.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I've yet to see a picture of this humongous monstrosity that totally impeded everybody's enjoyment of New Years Eve festivities at Disneyland.
    See post 34.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    Nearly 40% of people in LA County are spanish speakers, around 4 million people. 35 million do in the US which is 12% of the total population so I'm pretty sure there were quite a few people around you who understood.
    Touché.

Just another reason to start learning Spanish, I'd say.

Although instant subtitles on the big screens and/or a bilingual presentation would be nice for such an event.

And how can I get English subtitles on Univision? I wasn't aware they offered that now, but if they do, I'd love to tune in to their programming.

(Never mind! Googled it! I'll be durned! This is great!)

Univision - #English Subtitles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast