Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Univision ruins New Years for the second year in a row?

I wish they would just remove all those annoying trees. Sometimes when I'm near them, they obstruct my view of the castle and even fireworks.

Trees, ruining NYE... AGAIN!

Its a 10ft ez-up tent.......

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by a01362428 View Post
    Its a 10ft ez-up tent.......
    And with the Imagineers brilliant forced perspective, it becomes a two story tall tower.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Darn, I wish I had known about the broadcast so I could have watched it. I watched Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin instead. They were funny, but I would have liked to see Disneyland. Oh well, now I know for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by erdons View Post
    Would this thread have been made if ABC was there instead of Univision?
    YES! The issue is not who did it, but THAT they did it.

Reminds me of when I was in the service overseas and the USO Christmas show for the troops. They had a series of camera towers set up behind the first couple of rows of seats (those for VIP's and injured). Those booths blocked the show for most of those in the back ranks. If the show was intended for the troops, then the troops should have priority over TV viewers at home.

If Disneyland wants to provide TV viewing, then it should have as LITTLE inconvenience to those who are actually at Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    YES! The issue is not who did it, but THAT they did it.

Reminds me of when I was in the service overseas and the USO Christmas show for the troops. They had a series of camera towers set up behind the first couple of rows of seats (those for VIP's and injured). Those booths blocked the show for most of those in the back ranks. If the show was intended for the troops, then the troops should have priority over TV viewers at home.

If Disneyland wants to provide TV viewing, then it should have as LITTLE inconvenience to those who are actually at Disneyland.

And from the photos here, it seems they did just that. Had as little inconvenience to park guests as possible while producing a broadcast.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I wish they would just remove all those annoying trees. Sometimes when I'm near them, they obstruct my view of the castle and even fireworks.

Trees, ruining NYE... AGAIN!
    Agreed, they should remove the four big trees near Walt's and Mickey Mouse statue and replace them with smaller trees.

The view from the left of the castle is horrible with those huge trees. They also need to remove the small tree to the right of the castle near the churros cart that tree block the castle for people wishing to see the fireworks from the right.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    In 2011, Disneyland ruined 4th of July Fireworks for many guests by allowing Univision to construct a giant stage right in back of the Partners statue in front of the castle, which completely blocked off the prime fireworks viewing area that people get to the park at 5:00am to camp out for.

They did the exact same thing for New Years Eve 2011, but thankfully it was foggy which blocked out the fireworks from Univision's cameras.

People were furious over this. I know multiple people who complained to City Hall about it and were given either preferred seating for future fireworks or a Fantasmic! preferred seating for a future performance. But that kind of defeats the whole purpose of going there to see the special 4th of July or New Years Eve fireworks!

Now I wake up to a tweet from Disneyland announcing that people can tune in to Univision to see the New Years celebration live.

If this is true, and why would Disney make a false announcement on their official feed, it's proof that the resort ignores the complaints of guests and would rather have good PR instead of happy guests. If I see a giant stage in front of the castle with Univision cameras again today with prime viewing areas blocked off so their stupid hosts can fake dance in front of the castle, it'll be yet another reason why I likely won't be renewing my pass in 2013.
    Really? People were furious over this? Or were you?

The fireworks last year were blocked out only for Univisions cameras? You mean the fog disappeared for the people standing in the park and surrounding areas? Disneyland really is magical.

And no picture of this "giant stage" makes me believe this never occurred. I mean this is the same website that can provide pictures of hairline cracks in the hair of statues. But no one could produce a picture of a "2 story tower".

Can Micechat invent a "made up" button for posts?
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Can Micechat invent a "made up" button for posts?
    That wouldn't be necessary... Seeing as most posts on this site are full of false, exaggerated or completely made-up information, it would be more useful to have a TRUE button for the rare posts that are actually accurate.

• Senior Minion

For the record, this isn't the first time it has happened, and the OP isn't the only person who complained.

From the thread "New Years Eve Countdown shows at Disneyland and DCA" on Jan 2, 2011:

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99
    ...I could tell that a lot of people were really getting irritated the third or fourth time that the Univision host came out to the point that a few nasty comments were being shouted out here and there....
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM
    ...I don't know whose idea it was to book the Univision telecast, but I would have preferred that the area in front of the castle would have stayed English first, now I'm not racist in any way, my wife and most of my friends are Hispanic. I was just surprised and taken off guard when it happened, some warning would have been helpful.

From "Disneyland Gridlocked - Record Crowds" on Jan 1, 2011:

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte
    Univision was filming all over the park and the normal Christmas music on main street was replaced with El Torito's Greatest Hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyContinent
    are you serious? they couldn't pick a better time to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye
    Not only DL but DCA too. They had cameras at ElecTRONica and at Paradise Park.

Of course, it's all about marketing -- Disney Style. Last year, Disney-owned ABC teamed up with Univision to create an English language cable channel aimed at the Latino market. Disney couldn't give a rat's behind if their live promotional telecasts negatively impact a few hundred or a few thousand Disneyland guests. They got your money, they got their TV ratings, that's all that matters to them.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

I can understand some folks being inconvenienced and annoyed by any TV broadcast obstructing views during a special event at the Park, but are the culturally biased comments really necessary? If your view of the special event is being blocked or intruded upon, does it really matter what language is being spoken? I'm really irritated by some of the comments I've seen here, especially a couple of the quotes in Mr. Wiggins' post above (no fault of yours, though, Mr. Wiggins) -

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM
    I'll start with the bad, I don't know whose idea it was to book the Univision telecast, but I would have preferred that the area in front of the castle would have stayed English first, now I'm not racist in any way, my wife and most of my friends are Hispanic. I was just suprised and taken off guard when it happened, some warning would have been helpfull.
    Seriously? You need to be WARNED that Spanish is being spoken? Since when did the Hub become an English-only zone? And why should any part of the Park be exclusive to any language at all? It's one thing for Disneyland to be primarily an English-speaking area, since that's the primary language of the country in which it's located (as French is for Disneyland Paris, as Japanese is for Tokyo Disneyland, and as Cantonese is for Hong Kong Disneyland). But merely hearing a foreign language being spoken in a place where another language dominates is hardly something anyone would need a warning about. (And I love the "I'm not a racist" justification blather, too; no, might not be racism, technically speaking, but it sure as heck is cultural bigotry.)

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte
    Univision was filming all over the park and the normal Christmas music on main street was replaced with El Torito's Greatest Hits.
    Are culturally denigrating comments like this REALLY necessary? It can't be expressed as "generic Spanish language music" or "the Spanish language Top 40" or something that like, it has to be insulting by referencing a local Mexifornian chain restaurant (the insult being the implication that all Spanish-speaking cultures can be summed up in a single restaurant experience)?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Are culturally denigrating comments like this REALLY necessary? It can't be expressed as "generic Spanish language music" or "the Spanish language Top 40" or something that like, it has to be insulting by referencing a local Mexifornian chain restaurant (the insult being the implication that all Spanish-speaking cultures can be summed up in a single restaurant experience)?
    I am 100% full blooded Mexican (with a little bit of European Spanish dipped in...) and I was not offended one little bit....

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I just think many here forget that this is Disneyland and they can do whatever they want and they have done whatever they want for NYE. If you felt that the overall experience was not worth it then you of course may not return thus making room for new people who want to experience it. I assume not everyone in the park was in that SMALL area in front of the castle so the majority of the people celebrating the new year inside Disneyland were spread out all over the place in various areas.

To just be inside Disneyland when midnight hits is amazing.

For those here who are looking for an exact experience are the ones let down. You have to realize that maybe what you did the year before or in years past is not going to be the same experience due to construction, new filming areas and signage for NYE. You just have to be able to adapt.

Move elsewhere. I saw a video on YouTube that showed multiple things happening all night all over the park on that night. The dueling pianos where Fantasmic is was pretty awesome. But those who "camp" out all day are really missing out on the idea of being in the entire park versus being in a specific spot in the park.

So if people here went into Disneyland on NYE looking for a specific NYE that they built up in their own mind and didn't get that exact experience... well I fault them, not Disneyland or Univision.

Now yes Disneyland doesn't have to do this live show with the network but they chose to and despite what a HANDFUL of guests complain about in regards to the presence of that network being there filming live, well Disneyland obviously cares more about the many more people actually participating in the events and those watching from home... who are not complaining. Those amount of "happy" people dwarf the small handful of complaining guests thus making no future changes in the years to come or however much longer this partnership continues.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I am 100% full blooded Mexican (with a little bit of European Spanish dipped in...) and I was not offended one little bit....
    Um... therefore ALL hispanics are not offended?

It's nice that you weren't and I wasn't either BUT some people are and will be.

I don't understand your statement though. I get that you weren't offended but if your point was to make someone else's point to make it known that what that other person said was insensitive, well it did not change that fact that the original comment is still insensitive.

But it's good to know you weren't. I wasn't either.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Have you ever seen Remember from in front of the Castle and all the stuff they do AT the castle for the show? Some of the fireworks shows are designed to be seen right in front of the castle.
    Yes, I've seen it several times in front of the castle. I even saw it once sitting in the castle forecourt across the street from the hub before they began closing that area off during the show. It was a fun thing to do, but not really necessary. I've enjoyed the show many times from a variety of different locations all over the park.
    The only fireworks that might be blocked by a structure in front of the castle would be the pinwheels in the moat and the small "gunshots" during the Frontierland segment (which has been cut from the show anyway). The projections on the castle are nice, but not really a huge part of the show.
    Either way, it's totally absurd for someone to say that a structure in front of the castle ruined NYE when you consider how many people can even fit into that small viewing space compared to the amount of people who were in Disneyland on NYE. Most of the guests visiting the park that night were unaffected by the structure.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast