Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Univision ruins New Years for the second year in a row?

In 2011, Disneyland ruined 4th of July Fireworks for many guests by allowing Univision to construct a giant stage right in back of the Partners statue in front of the castle, which completely blocked off the prime fireworks viewing area that people get to the park at 5:00am to camp out for.

They did the exact same thing for New Years Eve 2011, but thankfully it was foggy which blocked out the fireworks from Univision's cameras.

People were furious over this. I know multiple people who complained to City Hall about it and were given either preferred seating for future fireworks or a Fantasmic! preferred seating for a future performance. But that kind of defeats the whole purpose of going there to see the special 4th of July or New Years Eve fireworks!

Now I wake up to a tweet from Disneyland announcing that people can tune in to Univision to see the New Years celebration live.

If this is true, and why would Disney make a false announcement on their official feed, it's proof that the resort ignores the complaints of guests and would rather have good PR instead of happy guests. If I see a giant stage in front of the castle with Univision cameras again today with prime viewing areas blocked off so their stupid hosts can fake dance in front of the castle, it'll be yet another reason why I likely won't be renewing my pass in 2013.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Univision ruins New Years for the second year in a row?

Personally I don't understand those who feel that they have to camp out in front of the castle for hours to see the fireworks. IMO the view is much better near the camera shop or even further back down Main Street. I much prefer the framework of the castle and the Matterhorn combined with the fireworks rather than being up front where the castle takes too much of the view to really get an emotional impact from the fireworks.

But if this annoys you then go for it. Go to City Hall I guess. Just stating my freindly opinion on this.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I guess the right answer is to camp out somewhere else? I had a really great fireworks experiance over by It's a Small world.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

That big ugly Univision booth is back, ploped right behind the Partners statue. it's 2 stories tall! I was standing right in front of it as it was over shadowing me when I was watch them do lighting checks and taking my last gaze at the castle before leaving the park 8 hours ago.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    That big ugly Univision booth is back, ploped right behind the Partners statue. it's 2 stories tall! I was standing right in front of it as it was over shadowing me when I was watch them do lighting checks and taking my last gaze at the castle before leaving the park 8 hours ago.
    So it's even BIGGER this year. Seriously Disney, what's wrong with you?

With the giant crowds, that just seem right to be taking up valuable space... On other note, I would love to view the action on tv. Is Univision a Spanish channel? Does that mean the festivities are only broadcast in Spanish? If so, bummer : (

• Closed Account

Yes, only in Spanish.

It's not Univision "ruining*" the event, it's the the people who let Univision build whatever monstrosity is blocking the castle. I've never been there during NYE, as I prefer to spend it with those I am close to, but I imagine getting to the park and having some building suddenly appear behind the statue is a bad idea.

*Simply being in such an overly (for me) crowded place would ruin New Years Eve for me, as I tend to avoid such madness

• I'm a fiddle player......

Sweet now I can watch Disneylands fireworks from my nice warm couch and can do lots of other things today instead of camping out. Thanks univision!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Wow, that is the smallest "two-story" stage I have ever seen...

first last live pic before heading out will

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Wow, that is the smallest "two-story" stage I have ever seen...
    Name:  watermark.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  208.2 KB

I think what is being referred to is those two rather tall screens on either side of the photo above. They aren't stages I don't think. I would say they are pretty close to 2 stories and would greatly obstruct fireworks viewing. That is to bad.
    Last edited by clara; 12-31-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: can't spell for nothing!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Name:  watermark.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  208.2 KB

I think what is being referred to is those two rather tall screens on either side of the photo above. They aren't stages I don't think. I would say they are pretty close to 2 stories and would greatly obstruct fireworks viewing. That is to bad.
    Too bad those screens are Disney's countdown screens and have nnothing to do with Univision...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Too bad those screens are Disney's countdown screens and have nnothing to do with Univision...
    ah ok..then I guess I'm not seeing this Univision stage? I've never been to a NYE at Dland so I'm at a loss. Sorry I was confused. I thought I read someone saying it was about "2 stories" and I assumed it was those two screens on either side of the photo.

to me it sounds like the building/booth is behind the camera in that picture.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

The point of the matter is you can let anything ruin any experience. Or you can look at things more positively. Realize that whatever is there is there.. and stand a bit farther back. Or go to DCA and enjoy the fountain and fireworks. There are so many choice we can make in life, and negativity is just sooo easy for everyone. It would be nice to see more choosing the positive side of things. This certainly doesn't and won't ruin New Years. The Year will still come, the world will still revolve, and thousands will still enjoy the fireworks Disney puts on tonight.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast