Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: The old Maliboomer Location

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post
    There are no motors from the Maliboomer left there. What's left is the foundation for the three towers and possibly some air compressors which is what powered this attraction - air. The mechanisms that propelled the ride vehicles were built into the tower structures.

This would be an interesting discussion if some of you would suggest realistic ideas, but there is absolutely NO room for a dark ride of any kind within this area unless you want Disney to purchase one of those trailer mounted dark rides that you see at places like the LA County Fair and OC Fair.

Personally, I think they should've left the Maliboomer in its place. It was a great ride and probably the best themed tower ride ever. However, since it's gone I don't think you can really do anything with the space since the footprint is really too small for most rides. Also, a parachute tower is too similar to Jumpin' Jelly Fish and too similar to what they removed so what's the point?
    Are you talking about the same Maliboomer that I know?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Who says the smoking section has to stay?
    Hopefully it won't. Personally, I think they should get rid of all of them and make the parks smoke free.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Banned User

I'm a non-smoker and even I think the smokers should at least be be allowed to keep the few sections they have. The parks are already 99% smoke free.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I'm a non-smoker and even I think the smokers should at least be be allowed to keep the few sections they have. The parks are already 99% smoke free.
    But in the grand scheme of things, maybe we as a society shouldn't promote something as self-destructive as smoking. I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but there is certainly reason for (and reason against) Disney to create a 100% smoke-free environment.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    If they have to have an area, let it be relegated to a small out of the way section of the Esplanade where they won't have a lot of foot traffic passing them. The way the areas are set up now, the smoking sections are adjacent to travel routes and some smokers stand just inside the boundary of their section allowing (most likely unintentionally) smoke to get blown back into the crowd. I shouldn't have to breathe in someone else's carcinogens just because I happen to be walking through an area.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    But in the grand scheme of things, maybe we as a society shouldn't promote something as self-destructive as smoking. I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but there is certainly reason for (and reason against) Disney to create a 100% smoke-free environment.

Promote? How is having just a few very small spots in the park promoting smoking? That sounds like it is the other way around to me. Promote is at the very least the wrong word for it. I don't smoke but it isn't the end of the word if I have to smell it now and again. Ask Walt if he could take a drag in his own park.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    . . . it isn't the end of the word if I have to smell it now and again. Ask Walt if he could take a drag in his own park.
    He died of lung cancer in his mid-60s.
    In '64 and shortly before that he worked on great World's Fair attractions, Mary Poppins, PoTC & the HM, and WDW. In '66 he was gone far too soon, possibly from smoking.

• Minion

Promote? How is having just a few very small spots in the park promoting smoking? That sounds like it is the other way around to me. Promote is at the very least the wrong word for it. I don't smoke but it isn't the end of the word if I have to smell it now and again. Ask Walt if he could take a drag in his own park.
    Yeah, reading it now, I'd say promote is the wrong word. Enable is probably more appropriate, which is still bad. It isn't the end of the world, but since Disneyland is supposed to represent a fantastical, idealist world, (according to members on this forum) removing an attraction and only replacing it with a smoke-zone is probably not the best move for Disney.

Times have changed, so while Walt might have been able to smoke in his own park, things have changed since then and certain things are looked down upon, including smoking in public, near children, and to some extent, at all. But this discussion is perhaps better suited for another thread since it has been a while since this topic has been discussed.

Back to the main discussion, a dark ride is perfect with the facade taking up the area. That Maliboomer thing in the ground is the main problem, but once there is enough push, I feel there will surely be a great ride there, and not simply a little rest area.

Seems like they could put in a small ride, snack booth, carnival games, or a meet and greet until they figure out what they're going to do there. Paradise Pier could use another period appropriate ride. As much as I think there's already too much Pixar in the park, the Slinky dog ride from Hong Kong and Paris would be a perfect fit (Caterpillar style rides being a staple of 20s-30s amusement piers).

• -

Ask Walt if he could take a drag in his own park.
    At what point in his life would you ask him that question? When the park opened? I’m sure he would be perfectly happy puffing away in the park.

Ask him at the end when he was lying in the hospital with labored breathing and I bet his answer would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by CatchAPairO View Post
    Back to the main discussion
    Actually, since they turned the area into a smoking section the topic of what to do with such areas is part of the main discussion.

a dark ride is perfect with the facade taking up the area. That Maliboomer thing in the ground is the main problem, but once there is enough push, I feel there will surely be a great ride there
    I agree. It would be nice to see the façade for the ride in the helix. All it is going to take is for Disney to see a chance to put something in that will be a big draw and the cement pad will be broken up and construction of something will begin.
    and not simply a little rest area.
    It’s not a rest area now. It is a smoking section. There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Smokers buy tickets too. Just sayin...

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Smokers buy tickets too. Just sayin...
    They buy a ticket to enter the park and enjoy the attractions and atmosphere. Their ticket does not include the privilege (because it is a privilege and not a right) to pollute that atmosphere for the other individuals tring to enjoy the park.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Wow is this topic about to go careening off the cliffs of insanity but...

I actually miss Maliboomer. I rarely even pass that area of DCA much anymore. When I'm at the end of the Boardwalk and Carnie games...I turn around and go back the way I came, unless the kid wants to ride the swings. That area seems a bit small for anything to be put there though...well unless they open up the back walls, which is what will probably happen.

I would like to see a dark ride, just not sure which.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I actually miss Maliboomer.
    I agree. While I didn't much care to ride it, I always got a kick out of watching people's reaction as the ride shot them skyward unexpectedly.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast