Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: The old Maliboomer Location

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    As I stated earlier, I believe the topic of smoking in the park is very relevant to the discussion as anything being placed in the Maliboomer location would have to replace the smoking section that currently resides there.
    Its a slippery slope because then it goes into Walt smoking in the parks back in the 50's/60's or if Disney should be a smoke free place....

But technically yes you are correct because that area is now a smoking area. Well half of it anway, the Boardwalk side is nothing but empty space.

•   
    • Banned User

Ask him at the end when he was lying in the hospital with labored breathing and I bet his answer would be different.
    What you imagine and what actually happened are two different things. A week before he died, Walt was coughing and Ward Kimball saw him. Ward asked Walt if he would just quit smoking and Walt's answer was "Hey, a guy's allowed to have a couple of vices in life, right?" You can bet on his answer all you want, that's how it went down and what Walt said.

I'm not a smoker but smokers are customers and have their rights too. The country's already filled with self-appointed do-gooders trying to force their ways on everyone else because they believe they know what's best for everyone else. I believe freedom is what's best for everyone.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    What you imagine and what actually happened are two different things. A week before he died, Walt was coughing and Ward Kimball saw him. Ward asked Walt if he would just quit smoking and Walt's answer was "Hey, a guy's allowed to have a couple of vices in life, right?" You can bet on his answer all you want, that's how it went down and what Walt said.

I'm not a smoker but smokers are customers and have their rights too. The country's already filled with self-appointed do-gooders trying to force their ways on everyone else because they believe they know what's best for everyone else. I believe freedom is what's best for everyone.
    But what someone feels is right for himself might not coincide with what he wanted his park to be. It also doesn't change how attitudes towards smoking have changed since the '50s and '60s.

Disney is also allowed to make a stand for their beliefs. By doing so, they may alienate guests, but it's fully within their right to do it. There's also the question of being an arbitrator for societal "good", even if it means making some tough decisions. I mean, there are clearly some people who want to do some things like buy gum in the park, drink in Disneyland, or dress in character clothing, but Disney has also had to say no to these guests.

• -

That was a week before. Try asking him when it was closer to the end.

I'm not a smoker but smokers are customers and have their rights too.
    It’s not a right, it’s a privilege. That privilege ends when it impedes on the health of others. The other people in the park have the right to breathe smoke free air.

The country's already filled with self-appointed do-gooders trying to force their ways on everyone else because they believe they know what's best for everyone else. I believe freedom is what's best for everyone.
    Actually it is the smokers who are forcing their carcinogenic air onto everyone else. Not allowing smoking does not harm the smokers. It only inconveniences them. Allowing it, however has negative effects on the health of non-smokers.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

They buy a ticket to enter the park and enjoy the attractions and atmosphere. Their ticket does not include the privilege (because it is a privilege and not a right) to pollute that atmosphere for the other individuals tring to enjoy the park.
    Calm down. Nobody said it was a right. I'm saying it must be considered from a financial perspective. If Disney forbids smoking 100%, then there are a fairly significant number of people who will NOT GO. That is $X off the bottom line. It would behoove Disney to make accommodations for them, no?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

The other people in the park have the right to breathe smoke free air.
    I actually don't believe that to be technically the case. The only laws on the books that I'm aware of are those that specify where one CANNOT smoke, and that is a local issue, not a federal one.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That was a week before. Try asking him when it was closer to the end.

It’s not a right, it’s a privilege. That privilege ends when it impedes on the health of others. The other people in the park have the right to breathe smoke free air.

Actually it is the smokers who are forcing their carcinogenic air onto everyone else. Not allowing smoking does not harm the smokers. It only inconveniences them. Allowing it, however has negative effects on the health of non-smokers.
    Oh please! Self appointed do gooders trying to close down another thread with a smoking derail.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Oh please! Self appointed do gooders trying to close down another thread with a smoking derail.
    It's not a smoking derail when the Maliboomer location is currently a smoking section. Putting an attraction there would require removing or relocating said smoking area. I vote for removal.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's not a smoking derail when the Maliboomer location is currently a smoking section. Putting an attraction there would require removing or relocating said smoking area. I vote for removal.
    I vote for removal if it means an attraction goes in it's place. But another alternative smoking section will just pop up somewhere else nearby, perhaps by the Beer Garden.

Live and let live, it's not like the smoking section is up against a slow moving queue, hold your breath as you walk past.

• -

it's not like the smoking section is up against a slow moving queue,
    Most of them are adjacent to major walkways.

hold your breath as you walk past.
    I shouldn't have to.

Build them a smoking room like airports have. Problem solved.

• Doombuggy Rider

I'm all for a Dark Indoor Attraction (Dark Ride) @ DCA .... although some sort of transportation back n' forth from DCA to Disneyland & back to DCA would be nice (how about a Monorail stop @ DCA, then Downtown / Parking / Hotel, then back to Disneyland) ....

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Most of them are adjacent to major walkways.

I shouldn't have to.

I'm sorry if I opened this can of worms more then it already was.

It is all about freedom. Disney has the freedom to take a smokers money just like anyone else and Disney allows those smokers a very limited freedom of smoking in the park to insure they can take their money. I would rather see a smoker there then another fatty on a hoverround drinking a redbull(sorry if I'm offending anyone) Big deal if you might have to get a small smell of someones cancer stick. It isn't going to kill you. Not nearly. If you disagree, prove it. Smokers aren't even evil. They are people just like you and me. With a heart and feelings and hopes and dreams. Some of them want to enjoy a day at Disney just like you. Not smoking for 8-12 hours could be a real problem for them. So the smoking area is something that is needed. Otherwise smokers wouldn't pay money to get into the park or they would be sneaking a drag were they shouldn't.

Oh, and back on topic...what are you guys smoking? There is no space there for an attraction with a foot print any bigger the Maliboomer.

• World of Color

Then bring back the Maliboomer

• Just drawn that way

We all know that it would be removed from that area....so end of story. I miss the Maliboomer as well. I really hoped they were going to put up parachutes like they had at knotts! Scared me to death but I loved them!
    Haunted house type thing yes...and who says if it was a trailor type feel if it would have to be like that on the inside?
    Little and broken, but still good.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast