Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: The old Maliboomer Location

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Except for all the second hand smoke filling the area since they made it a smoking section.
    +1. I hate walking through there.

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post
    Personally, I think they should've left the Maliboomer in its place. It was a great ride and probably the best themed tower ride ever. However, since it's gone I don't think you can really do anything with the space since the footprint is really too small for most rides. Also, a parachute tower is too similar to Jumpin' Jelly Fish and too similar to what they removed so what's the point?
    agree with both points

If they have to have an area, let it be relegated to a small out of the way section of the Esplanade where they won't have a lot of foot traffic passing them. The way the areas are set up now, the smoking sections are adjacent to travel routes and some smokers stand just inside the boundary of their section allowing (most likely unintentionally) smoke to get blown back into the crowd. I shouldn't have to breathe in someone else's carcinogens just because I happen to be walking through an area.
    Or they could build a structure which filters the air.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I vote for removal if it means an attraction goes in it's place. But another alternative smoking section will just pop up somewhere else nearby, perhaps by the Beer Garden.

Live and let live, it's not like the smoking section is up against a slow moving queue, hold your breath as you walk past.
    I try to. Can't last long enough. I feel sorry for the smokers. I bet most of them want to quit and know its bad for their health.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Calm down. Nobody said it was a right. I'm saying it must be considered from a financial perspective. If Disney forbids smoking 100%, then there are a fairly significant number of people who will NOT GO. That is $X off the bottom line. It would behoove Disney to make accommodations for them, no?
    Yesterday. Accommodate them outside the park! Esplanade?

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Build them a smoking room like airports have. Problem solved.
    Something like the smoking area in the Las Vegas Airport:

Theme it to the area where it is located: Alpine Village for the area next to the Matterhorn, Old West for the area behind Big Thunder, old school Pleasure Pier for this area, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    Yesterday. Accommodate them outside the park! Esplanade?
    I wouldn't give it a whole lot of thought. By 2020, smoking will be legislated out of the park. It's not a question of 'if' but 'when'. And by 2020, there will be a new ride in the Maliboomer location, probably themed after some Pixar movie that hasn't been made yet.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

I think the area that used to house the Maliboomer is too small for a dark ride and it's queue, and most flat rides would have to be elevated with the queue underneath to fit in the space, so I'd like to opine a third option: make a pass-through to the area behind the spiral of California Screamin'. There is a backstage access road for parade float access, and there is Disney Way and Disneyland Drive/West Street, put them underground like Disneyland Drive is for Downtown Disney but make the space three times as wide as Downtown Drive.

You can put a dark ride in the newly minted space, a couple flat rides (maybe something like the Riding Derby at Cedar Point, or a Trabant/Wipeout ride, possibly themed to Disney/Pixar/Marvel characters, with the outside themed to classic pleasure pier architecture), a shop & a quick food stand, and you put a gate to the Paradise Pier Hotel at the other end.

I also think they should think about putting the Paradise Pier parking into a parking structure and expanding the current Paradise Pier Hotel into a multi-tower themed resort, but that's probably for another post.

I think they should put something like supreme scream at knotts. That rides fun. Or a beauty and the beast ride since disneyworld got beauty and the beast land.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Marcosbabe View Post
    I think they should put something like supreme scream at knotts. That rides fun. Or a beauty and the beast ride since disneyworld got beauty and the beast land.
    Neither of those fit the theme of the area.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Maybe an AP Exclusive lounge.

•   
    • Banned User

That was a week before. Try asking him when it was closer to the end.
    Such conjecture. You presume to know what's in Walt's head. It sounds like you're interjecting what you hope he thought so it can validate your own opinions. Quotes from those closest to him hearing his own words are closer to fact that what you hope he would have said.

• Monorail Lover

hold your breath as you walk past.
    As an asthmatic, I would either end up having an attack from the second hand smoke, or I would end up having an attack from holding my breath to avoid the smoke. The only smoking area in the parks that is in a good location is in the old Motorboat Cruise Queue area, since the walkway is wide enough for me to avoid the area, if Disney could build their smoking areas like that instead of right along narrow pathways then I would have no problem with them. I would be able to actually say
    Live and let live
    Signature down for reimagineering.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie Freelance View Post
    Something like the smoking area in the Las Vegas Airport:

Theme it to the area where it is located: Alpine Village for the area next to the Matterhorn, Old West for the area behind Big Thunder, old school Pleasure Pier for this area, etc.
    That would be a great idea - with this room, though, it looks as though there isn't a roof and there aren't closed doors, so that smoke gets out anyway.

It's a contentious subject, I know. As an asthmatic I do try to avoid the smoking areas, but it can be tough - that one right by the Matterhorn isn't exactly out of the way. The one on the Maliboomer site on the other hand is back in a corner, and it's easy enough to stay away from that one.

• Minion

Re: The Maliboomer. Something should go there, but none of the things mentioned so far really work for me. Villains Funhouse? Why not have the villains in rides from their respective franchises? (I mean, they already team up in Fantasmic!). Ratatouille ride? I'd love it (it's my favorite Pixar movie) but Paradise Pier seems like the last place gourmet French chef Remy would be. (It seems more like the kind of place his non-Disney "cousin" Templeton would enjoy... "A fair is a veritable smorgasbord, orgasbord, orgasbord, after the gates are shut..." )

BTW, Iger was once quoted as saying "Ratatouille is not a franchise" (i.e., not merchandisable by the people who can't figure out how to merchandise anything slightly nontraditional) so I think a ride in the U.S. is unlikely, since all rides now seem to have to double as advertisements for merch.

------------------

Space for transition between topics...

------------------

Re: Smoking area. My uncle died of lung cancer because he smoked, but I still have no problem with the smoking areas in Disneyland. Personally, they have never bothered me. I could see if it was in an enclosed space, like the "smoking areas" in restaurants from the olden days, but this is out in the open air.

There's a commercial out right now that is shown in EVERY commercial break on EVERY channel where I live. It shows a woman smoking alone on her patio at night. The puff of smoke wafts up through an open window into another apartment, through the livingroom, and into a nursery, where it morphs into a SKULL-FACED POLTERGEIST and menaces a baby. By the way, this appears to be in an urban area, with smog, car exhaust, etc., but yeah, the smoke from that one cigarette is the only dangerous thing in the air. I used to like anti-smoking PSAs that were about why smoking is bad for you, and why you should choose not to do it. They were clever and convincing. But this is just fear-mongering and making an excuse to harass people, which is not going to make them stop smoking. (This is directed more at that ad than anyone in this thread. I'm sorry but aside from the fact I don't like it, they just show it too darn often!)
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 01-14-2013 at 05:11 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast