• Musical Fireman

The group we don't give Disneyland enough credit for!

Whenever we praise the people for the creation of Disneyland we always think of Walt the man who dreamed the place into a reality, and his Imagineers who gave the dreams form and made them visual. These people deserve the credit we give them but almost all of us forget one group of people....The many construction companies, manufacturers, and special workshops the gave the final push to make Disneyland what it was. Without their determination, skills and belief in the dream we wouldn't have had within a year a Turn of the Century Main Street, Authentic Steam Locomotives, A Medieval Castle, Frontier Village, Jungle Rivers, or a Utopia of the Future. Lets take a moment and thank the outside companies who played as much a part in building Disneyland as those great studio artists and technicians.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Hukuna Matata!

Re: The group we don't give Disneyland enough credit for!

Much respect to everyone that worked or works in the parks, BUT..... Walt and Co could find dozens of construction companies and fabricators to do the job but there is only one Walt Disney that's who I am grateful for.

• Musical Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    Much respect to everyone that worked or works in the parks, BUT..... Walt and Co could find dozens of construction companies and fabricators to do the job but there is only one Walt Disney that's who I am grateful for.
    Same here without Walt nothing would've been possible. I wrote this for the fact that these construction companies had to revert their skills back to making products they haven't built in 50 years. The San Pedro Shipyards had to go back and build a hull for Stern Wheelers again, train shops had to build two specially done steamers. In short many had to go back to
    all but forgotten arts to get the final result. Building things that haven't been built in 50 years takes a lot of skill and patience those companies deserve much credit in my opinion.

"THAT'S R

• -

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    Same here without Walt nothing would've been possible. I wrote this for the fact that these construction companies had to revert their skills back to making products they haven't built in 50 years. The San Pedro Shipyards had to go back and build a hull for Stern Wheelers again, train shops had to build two specially done steamers. In short many had to go back to
    all but forgotten arts to get the final result. Building things that haven't been built in 50 years takes a lot of skill and patience those companies deserve much credit in my opinion.

I agree, but wouldn't any contractors who won the job have to do this?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Musical Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I'm just talking about the general idea and honoring the ones who DID win the job. Everyone played a role in the construction of Disneyland. Those companies deserve credit, they earned it.

"THAT'S R

Disneyland would not have been possible without Walt.

At the same time, Disneyland itself and sustaining it through the years would not have been possible without the enormous effort and talent of thousands of individuals, the names of many of them we will never now.

•   
    • Banned User

Contractors got paid to do a job. I doubt that their dreams and inspiration factored into this.

I will, however, acknowledge that there are some serious craftsmen out there. The kind of guys who do the quality building and restorations that allow unique things to exist in the park. Every time I lean on a wooden railing that was carved I realize that Disneyland choose to use real vintage constructions methods and not just some fiberglass replica of a railing. Most people just buy a corn dog at the main street wagon but as a classic car owner, I take the time to recognize that someone restored an old vehicle to the point it can be driven.

In that respect, yes, there are some serious craftsmen who did some work that resulted in great things at the park.

....thanks to Walt's vision.

I think this brings up a good point, I think we forget all the men and women who actually built the park. It would be nice one day for them to be recognized in the park one day if they haven't been before. I would love to see them walk down Main Street with guests and visitors saluting them.

The one gentleman who was so instrumental in building Disneyland & gets glossed over is Roy Disney, Walt's brother. Nothing that he did was glorious or eye popping, but we would not enjoy Walt's creation without the arduous labors of Roy. I also have a feeling that there was a lot of "creativity" involved in his part of the building of Disneyland. They were leveraged to the hilt & keeping the whole thing afloat in the early days fell upon him. The fact that the entire enterprise has been so successful is due, in no small part, to his efforts. It is time to stop ignoring the man behind the curtain who made it possible for his little brother to reach the hearts, minds, (and wallets) of the American people.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    The one gentleman who was so instrumental in building Disneyland & gets glossed over is Roy Disney, Walt's brother. Nothing that he did was glorious or eye popping, but we would not enjoy Walt's creation without the arduous labors of Roy. I also have a feeling that there was a lot of "creativity" involved in his part of the building of Disneyland. They were leveraged to the hilt & keeping the whole thing afloat in the early days fell upon him. The fact that the entire enterprise has been so successful is due, in no small part, to his efforts. It is time to stop ignoring the man behind the curtain who made it possible for his little brother to reach the hearts, minds, (and wallets) of the American people.
    Not just American people, people from around the world! I'm a Canadian and I have spent a lot of time and money at Disneyland and I'm sure many others from around the world have as well.

• Herr Ducktor!

Roy Disney was a financial genius. It was his resourcefulness and innovation that Walt's work possible. Walt admitted having no real grasp on money issues; he'd just tell Roy what he wanted to do, and his brother would figure out a way to pay for it. When you consider that both of them had little formal education, it was a one-in-billion stroke of chance that one Missouri farm family could produce two such very different titans.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

Sure, there are many skilled people who could have done the work, but there's nothing wrong with showing appreciation to those who actually DID do the work. I know I personally can't turn a screwdriver without a few tries, so I marvel at their skills, and I'm appreciative that there are people who have these skills.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    This a million times over. Roy is constantly looked over as he was never the "face man" of the company, but in my eyes he was just as responsible for Disneyland being a success as Uncle Walt was. I'm sure Roy had to get his hands plenty dirty in order to keep his brothers clean
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    train shops had to build two specially done steamers...Building things that haven't been built in 50 years takes a lot of skill and patience those companies deserve much credit in my opinion.
    Well, remember that steam engines were still in operation in many parts of the country back in 1955. So yes, those craftsman deserve great credit--but what they were doing wasn't really a lost art at the time.

There were pattern makers then (and now) who could make patterns for the spoked wheels; foundries (notably Wilmington Iron Works) who were able to pour castings, and Dixon Boiler Works, who were still in the boiler business until relatively recently. The Disney Studio was able to manufactuer other parts as needed, and some of the train parts were still available as off-the-shelf items (like whistles or air compressors). Disney's carpenters handled the woodwork.

So, while quite an undertaking, the crafts needed to build the steam engines and trains cars (and the railroad itself) were still widely in use at the time.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I'm thankful to all those who truly work on these rides and show trying to bring job to the masses......the higher ups who just want bonus...yeah I'm your you don't want/need my thanks you've got your money