Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Blockout ticket NOT valid after midnight?

After the proverbial ball dropped, we decided to pop over to DCA, only to be told our blockout pass is now expired because it's no longer 12/31. We then couldn't get back into DL for the same reason. Suffice to say I was absolutely shocked. Is this normal? I thought a blockout ticket was equivalent to a one day park hopper. Would those ticket holders be hosed too if they leave the park after midnight?

• Minion

Re: Blockout ticket NOT valid after midnight?

Hmmm I guess literally that sounds right but from a common sense customer service standpoint that's dumb if that's how its meant to be.

That is just wrong. Even if that is the policy, what is the harm of letting you back into the park after midnight. All you might do is spend more money.

It makes zero sense to say it was because it was a "blockout ticket". Did you talk to more than one CM? Maybe it is a computer thing? Like the computer wouldn't whistle you in?

Still, you should have been let back in. THUMBS DOWN!
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

So from my understanding, they need to manually override the computer when using a blockout ticket. Thus, it ends up being a decision made by whoever is manning the gate. I was denied by CMs at both DCA and DL, so I don't think it's just a single rogue powertripping CM.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
    After the proverbial ball dropped, we decided to pop over to DCA, only to be told our blockout pass is now expired because it's no longer 12/31. We then couldn't get back into DL for the same reason. Suffice to say I was absolutely shocked. Is this normal? I thought a blockout ticket was equivalent to a one day park hopper. Would those ticket holders be hosed too if they leave the park after midnight?
    i would say yes.. i'd never leave the park on NYE for any reason because of the fear i wouldn't get back in.

Seems like a combination of a computer thing and the fact that they rarely stay open past midnight any longer. Since their "operational day" invariably ends at midnight there's no need to program the difference between that and a "calendar day." I can't imagine in the old "get back in with a handstamp" days when they were open until 1 AM (like the 70s/80s) they would deny you re-entry after midnight. It's the same "day," though not the same day, again, operational vs. calendar.

I am sure all CMs have a list of rules that to deviate from would land them is deep stuff. I would have politely asked to talk to a supervisor who is allowed to make decisions. The hours after midnight should be considered an extension of the paid for day.

• And Dad was my hero.

I understand it from a technical point of view, but agree that it was bad form. How much later is it open, an hour? Silly.

• Embrace You!

That's lame and 'bad show' considering it's New Years Eve. So the same thing probably happened to the people who purchased a one day park hopper.

• A Dark Future

With this logic, you could go buy another ticket right then and stay all morning and into the next night!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Just drawn that way

Sorry to hear! I have no block out days but on NYE once I am in Dland I do not leave even if I get in the park at 6 am I won't leave for any reason!
    Little and broken, but still good.

I would have asked to speak to a lead. Poor guest service.

Why is everyone blaming Disney or the Cast Members? It's not their fault that the original poster bought a ticket valid for the date of 12/31/2012 and decided to leave the park and come in on 1/1/2013. Here's why they don't, won't, and can't change that policy. If they allow for one day for you to leave and then return the next day, then why not do it for all days or all people. If you can't read your ticket and when it's valid for, that's not the company's fault that you couldn't get it, that is 100% upon the head of the person who purchased the ticket and left the park thinking they could get in the next day. It doesn't matter if you think it's fair or not, it's business policy that keeps logistics simple. It's not their fault that you or others who ran into this issue could not understand that to be in the park on 1/1/2013 that you had to physically be in the park when the clock went from 11:59 pm to midnight. Stop blaming them for your mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Why is everyone blaming Disney or the Cast Members? It's not their fault that the original poster bought a ticket valid for the date of 12/31/2012 and decided to leave the park and come in on 1/1/2013. Here's why they don't, won't, and can't change that policy. If they allow for one day for you to leave and then return the next day, then why not do it for all days or all people. If you can't read your ticket and when it's valid for, that's not the company's fault that you couldn't get it, that is 100% upon the head of the person who purchased the ticket and left the park thinking they could get in the next day. It doesn't matter if you think it's fair or not, it's business policy that keeps logistics simple. It's not their fault that you or others who ran into this issue could not understand that to be in the park on 1/1/2013 that you had to physically be in the park when the clock went from 11:59 pm to midnight. Stop blaming them for your mistake!
    No one here is saying that you should be able to buy a ticket for one day and come back the next. But if you buy a ticket for a day where the hours extend past the end of that actual calender day then yes, your ticket should still be valid until the park is closed for that operational day. I don't think you should be able to then go home, go to sleep, and come back Jan 1 at 9 am and get back in the park. But for goodness sakes, robots don't run the ticket booths, PEOPLE do. People can make exceptions and in a case like this, it's pretty obvious to most people that you should be able to continue using your ticket for Dec 31 and the New Years Eve celebrations until AFTER midnight, up to closing time on that operational day. Simple.
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

I think the whole thing could be avoided if management used some common sense. If I were in that situation, I would have asked for someone in charge to see if they could "override" the policy. But again, I don't blame the cast members. If I were them, I would probably abide by policy as well just to keep my work reputation. It's more of ticketing management's fault for the policy.
    Because Bert Said So!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast