Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Re: It's Happening ... I'm Getting Over Disney

What I have found in SoCal in general is that there are WAY too many consumers that don't demand excellence.........they just get shoveled the crap by corporate bean counters and marketing "geniuses" and don't question anything that they are dishing out good money for. I won't get into demographics..........but suffice it to say, it's not like this everywhere.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    I fail to see your relation but a comparison of ToonTown and CarsLand couldn't possibly be a bigger stretch.

and to be fair Cars was not a cartoon. It was an animated film using computer generated images.
    Toontown was based on an animated film too.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    That sounds interesting, especially when you consider that Disney didn't purchase Cap Cities/ABC until 1996.
    While I can accept that my own memory might be faulty, apparently now the New York Times' archive system is faulty, as well? Or does this not read 1995?

THE MEDIA BUSINESS: THE MERGER; WALT DISNEY TO ACQUIRE ABC IN $19 BILLION DEAL TO BUILD A GIANT FOR ENTERTAINMENT - New York Times

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    What I have found in SoCal in general is that there are WAY too many consumers that don't demand excellence.........they just get shoveled the crap by corporate bean counters and marketing "geniuses" and don't question anything that they are dishing out good money for. I won't get into demographics..........but suffice it to say, it's not like this everywhere.
    Aw go on.... get into demographics. What the heck, right?

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    While I can accept that my own memory might be faulty, apparently now the New York Times' archive system is faulty, as well? Or does this not read 1995?

THE MEDIA BUSINESS: THE MERGER; WALT DISNEY TO ACQUIRE ABC IN $19 BILLION DEAL TO BUILD A GIANT FOR ENTERTAINMENT - New York Times
    Announcement to acquire was 1995. The actual purchase was January 1996. Corporate purchases take a bit of time from intent to purchase to actual acquisition.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Announcement to acquire was 1995. The actual purchase was January 1996. Corporate purchases take a bit of time from intent to purchase to actual acquisition.
    Thank you for correcting this. The shareholder vote for the actual purchase took place in January 1996.
    THE MEDIA BUSINESS - Disney and ABC Shareholders Solidly Approve Merger Deal - NYTimes.com

Interesting topic. While I like Disney, I don't love it with the unabashedness like I did as a youngster. I was the kid who saw stuff coming out like 'White Fang' and 'Newsies,' and bought into the excitement of that.

I got a D23 membership this past year to go to the Destination D event last August at the resort. While it was ok, and I did get to speak with a number of fans (and even became part of a small group), it felt more like the real fun was at arms length. $225 got you in to the panels and such, but if you wanted to speak or talk with many of those guests, you needed to buy the $1000 Diamond level pass, something I was not willing to do. It takes alot just to get me to part with 3-digits of money, but 4 is a definite red-flag that would eat away at me for years. I did enjoy that some of the guests were hanging around and were accessible, such as Don Hahn, and Eric Goldberg (man was kind enough to draw a Genie profile in my 'Art of Aladdin' book, and have my pic taken with him).

Personally, I miss the days of 'Disney News.' I still remember my family checking into the Disneyland Hotel for the evening in the summer of 1990, and there was a complimentary issue on the bed. That magazine would launch me into one of my first magazine subscriptions, and kept me entertained and excited about the company. Of course, it was exclusive to the parks and the Disney Stores, but then something happened, and the magazine was changed to something one would find on the newsstands. And then, the fun was gone when around 1996, I let my subscription lapse.

I do like Disney, but I'm very particular these days. Even when visiting the parks, I don't buy everything in sight. It takes a certain type of 'flair' to get me to buy...like those 32oz Cone cups at Cars Land, or my wanting those diecast RSR ride vehicles.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm definitely not getting over Disney as I find myself getting more and more excited about my trip. Part of it is the excitement to see the new stuff in DCA. The other part of it is helping MiceAge celebrate it's 10th Anniversary.

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Disneyland does NOT have the same magic it used to have. It has become too big and too successful to have the same creative charm it had in a by-gone era. Our last trip felt like we were competing with other guests for fast passes, viewing spots for the shows, and the quality of the food at the resort never justified the prices.

That being said - Disneyland still has a draw for me - but I miss the days when the creativity and charm outweighed the hassle and high prices.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Yet now Pixar's animation is nearly undistinguishable from that of Dreamworks, Blue Sky Entertainment or Illuminations? And he's forcing CGI into WDAS.
    CG was being forced into WDAS well before Lasseter took charge. And it's been argued that homogenization in American animation in general, film and television, can be attributed to Cal Arts, an institution Disney's long been tied to, having control over the bulk of the industry to a point where it almost seems like you get your own TV show with your diploma.

That said though, my opinion of Lasseter has definitely gone down, though more from how he keeps pushing the Cars franchise and how he screwed up projects like American Dog and Snow Queen to transform them into the bland Bolt and Frozen. I don't think we can blame him entirely for the lack of 2D output (and in fact, there's a Musker and Clements 2D project in development now that's supposedly about Polynesian mythology) seeing as the circumstances that have been hindering 2D projects can be entirely blamed on the marketing of Princess and the Frog and Pooh, especially with how the idiots in the marketing department put Pooh up against the last Harry Potter movie and thinking "What could possibly go wrong"
    Last edited by FigmentJedi; 01-08-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

I need to stop reading these threads. Reading so many opinions going back and forth makes my head spin.

So I'll keep my answer plain and simple:

Your opinion is your opinion. If you want to get over Disney or not is your idea, not mine. As for the magic being lost/still there debate? I'd rather not partake in that at the moment...

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    I need to stop reading these threads. Reading so many opinions going back and forth makes my head spin.

So I'll keep my answer plain and simple:

Your opinion is your opinion. If you want to get over Disney or not is your idea, not mine. As for the magic being lost/still there debate? I'd rather not partake in that at the moment...
    I don't think anyone here has said that they WANT to get over Disney.

• Selfie Expert

Just going to pop in and say that I feel sorry for those of you who can no longer find the magic at DLR. I hope you are able to get the feeling back at another destination, or maybe even a future DLR.

I continue to enjoy the magic of DLR every time I go. I typically plan my trips around low-crowd days, and have had many days with no wait times due to it. When I am forced to go on the weekends, I plan ahead for crowds and find ways to still enjoy my time at the park. I have found that I have begun spotting little details of rides and theming that only make it more special, I still seem to be blind to most flaws.

I hope my feelings for DLR stay this way for a long time... I guess it all comes down to the eye of the beholder, as I'm able to overlook faults. Typically, I only notice them when they're brought up here. So, I've begun ignoring most negative threads, as those seem to threaten the magic more than any experience I've had while at the parks.

Good luck to any and all, whatever your Disney-related decisions may be!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    I don't think anyone here has said that they WANT to get over Disney.
    This.

Who wants to lose that feeling of extreme anticipation? Who wants to stop feeling that they are no longer in the real world once they pass the tunnel into Disneyland? I want to feel that I have no worries and Disneyland did that for many years. I still get that feeling now and then, but they are fewer and further between. Could be oversaturation, could be Disney doesn't have what they used to offer. Either way I truly miss that feeling.

While I LOVE Disneyland, I'm personally struggling with the idea of not renewing my pass (which I've had since the late 80's). It's up at the end of the month. I want it to be like it used to be but every time I go I end up being disappointed : ( Usually large crowds are my main issue. I miss the off season which hardly exists anymore. I realize I'm part of the problem being a frequent guest but I love Disneyland and do want to go when possible... So torn!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910