Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Herr Ducktor!

Re: It's Happening ... I'm Getting Over Disney

I think there's such a thing as overdosing. Your concerns about hypercommericalization are valid and worth discussing, but Disney fatigue is Disney fatigue. The resorts were originally intended as respites, not a lifestyle to be lived 24/7. No wonder that the magic is wearing thin.

My family and I go to Disneyland once a year, usually for a three or four-day stay. The months after are filled with reminiscing, and the months before are filled with anticipation--what's different this year? What attractions do the kids want to tackle for the first time this year? Meanwhile, my ten-year-old enjoys being quizzed on Disneyland trivia and watching THE SECRET TOUR dvd, and we occasionally discuss developments gleaned from Micechat around the dinner table. So it's a continuous thread in our lives, but not an overwhelming one.

When I toured the Walt Disney Family Museum, I was struck by the fact that Walt had only two or three pieces of art by Disney artists hanging on his walls at home--and they depicted generic scenes, not Disney images. Gotta find your balance.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    I think there's such a thing as overdosing. Your concerns about hypercommericalization are valid and worth discussing, but Disney fatigue is Disney fatigue. The resorts were originally intended as respites, not a lifestyle to be lived 24/7. No wonder that the magic is wearing thin.

My family and I go to Disneyland once a year, usually for a three or four-day stay. The months after are filled with reminiscing, and the months before are filled with anticipation--what's different this year? What attractions do the kids want to tackle for the first time this year? Meanwhile, my ten-year-old enjoys being quizzed on Disneyland trivia and watching THE SECRET TOUR dvd, and we occasionally discuss developments gleaned from Micechat around the dinner table. So it's a continuous thread in our lives, but not an overwhelming one.

When I toured the Walt Disney Family Museum, I was struck by the fact that Walt had only two or three pieces of art by Disney artists hanging on his walls at home--and they depicted generic scenes, not Disney images. Gotta find your balance.
    THIS

For the first time in 11 years now I will not be renewing my AP, financially it's become a little expensive for myself and my little one. But I also agree that when youhave the ability to go as often as you like or just on a whim it loses the value that is intended for it. "too much of a good thing" is what I am finally starting to get and I fall into the same catagory that a lot of now former AP holders have fallen into. We are done with our muliple visits a year and are now restricting our visits to once a year for a 3 or 4 day visit and that is it. Just thinking about it now makes the magic come back a little bit, knowing that you WANT to go but you CAN'T!

I loved the park as a kid and even as I grew into an adult and had a kid of my own, but I also don't want my 5 year old to grow up thinking that Disneyland is a right and not a privlege. I want her to have that anticipation build up, to mark the day on our calendar and cross out the days till our trip starts, to talk and formulate a plan of attack with her and go over it and tweak it as we see fit. Knowing that you only have a few days a year at the park really makes you want to embrace every min and get the most out of it and that's what we as a family have decided to do. To return to our value and appreciation of what used to be the pinnacle of our year and not just a "well, we have nothing else better to do" mentality.

SOLID THREAD AND OP. COULDN'T AGREE MORE.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disneyland is a happy place for me. I am busy planning a few trips this year to both Disneyland and Disney World. I still feel value in the Disneyland vacation. I still get excited when I am planning a trip, and when I am living that vacation. I read a lot of threads here at MiceChat, and I understand in my head what people are saying. However, my heart still says that Disneyland is fun, and worth the time and money that I invest in it.

I guess for others, Disney has broken their hearts. Sort of like a people love that has soured. You fall in love with someone, and they can do no wrong. Your love starts out to be unconditional, and the object of your love, can do no wrong. Then something happens, and all that changes. Your heart gets broken, and your love goes away. No judgement from me on the right or wrong of that. I have had it happen to me in my life. A person's feelings are what they are, and we must be true to our feelings.

Disney is a company, and they do many things that really irritate me. People buy me Disney stuff because they know that I have vacationed in the Disney Parks, and they equate that with Disney stuff. However my love has more to do with the place that I get to when I fly 1/2 way across the country. Once I step into the esplanade, and know Disneyland is but a turnstyle away, I am happy. I still get goosebumps like a schoolgirl on her first date. I could care less about the stuff. I am there to make memories, and capture some of those with my camera. That way I can revisit them at home, until I can get back to my happy place again.

If that doesn't work for you, then I certainly understand your need to walk away.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    I loved the park as a kid and even as I grew into an adult and had a kid of my own, but I also don't want my 5 year old to grow up thinking that Disneyland is a right and not a privlege.
    I will admit...I have had this issue in the past with my boy. He's had an AP since he was 10 months old. He will be 9 in March.

However, we recently discovered Universal and on the 23rd got AP's for 2013 at Universal. My kid LOVED Universal. He likes the virtual 3D rides as compared to the "kiddie" rides of Disneyland..I guess? I have to figure that one out.

So, I will probably be taking more trips out to Universal (despite my loathe for L.A.) more in 2013 than our trips to Disneyland. Although, that is an assumption since I really don't know how the year will turn out as it takes up gas to make trips out to L.A. and the past few years for me have proven to be up and down and all around regarding jobs and just life in general.

• Minion

My pass expired last December, and I do not plan on getting another one for now. After a while, I feel that going to Disneyland numerous times in a year wears off the magic and turns into an ordinary and casual experience rather than an extroardinary and one of a kind experience. And like other posters have stated, the large crowds get old and annoying after a while, especially during the holiday season. Don't get me wrong, I still love going to Disneyland very much, but I do realize that I need a break from it for a while, so it does not cloud me from other important things in life.

•   

As prices go up, people stop buying APs and making as many trips to the park.

Disney's short term bottom line says "But we're still making money! More than ever, so let's keep doing this!"

The long term effect is that people are driven to patronize Disney's competition. I'm sure Knott's, Six Flags and Universal Studios will gain from this sudden influx of business.

In short, Disney's rising prices are not a financial "win" for them, it's an accidental effort to water their competition's garden. They shouldn't see this as "we're still making money and more than before so we win", they might want to consider the angle of how they're driving customers to their competition and ultimately funding them to one-up Disneyland. Not possible? Harry Potter.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Sock Puppet

the post makes me want to go to Disneyland even more now, infact i got a visit planned for tomorrow! i can look past the what ever bad qualities people are naming about Disney these days and still enjoy the park as it is..i still feel the magic!

• Non-Minion

The way I broke is down to my daughter was to use christmas as an analogy. If we had Christmas whenever we wanted as often as we wanted, would it be just as special as having it that one time of year with all the anticipation and preparation that goes into it? the music, the lights, the laughter, the meaning and spirit? sure it sounds like something that WOULD be great all the time would definitely lose its magic.

such is the same with Disneyland.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Sock Puppet

while it may be special to some people to go only 1 time a month or a few times a year, i have to go like every week, like i said i am still gonna go, i still feel the magic and i still got my AP, the thing is Disneyland is a stress breaker for me since my daily life away from the boards includes work and occasional event and wedding planning, when i step into the park i don't think about whether or not the cm's are doing their jobs or if CS is actually helping a park guest, i turn my mind off and i don't think about that stuff.. like i said i can look past it.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    They shouldn't see this as "we're still making money and more than before so we win", they might want to consider the angle of how they're driving customers to their competition and ultimately funding them to one-up Disneyland. Not possible? Harry Potter.
    Actually, you have a good point there because when that opens at USH...I can see Disneyland being put on the backburner for more visits to Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    The way I broke is down to my daughter was to use christmas as an analogy. If we had Christmas whenever we wanted as often as we wanted, would it be just as special as having it that one time of year with all the anticipation and preparation that goes into it? the music, the lights, the laughter, the meaning and spirit? sure it sounds like something that WOULD be great all the time would definitely lose its magic.

such is the same with Disneyland.
    You are right and I agree. I tend to spoil my kid so much and will spend my last cent on him to take him places and go without new clothes for myself or something like that. I read that its the "single mom" syndrome when there is absolutely no father around. I'm trying to make up for something he will always lack...

BUT that is a conversation for another thread but yes, I agree with you.

• Sock Puppet

Disney should listen to the comments in this thread! Disneyland was intended to be a place were families could go and enjoy time together in a setting that was not carnival like. Arguably a family can still have that experience today, as long as you have close to $1000 for admission, food and souvenirs. Disney is pricing the family out of the market.

I see the issues being different on each coast. Disneyland Resort has shown some of the old Disney innovation, for example Carsland, and maintained a respectable level of quality. The problems at Disneyland Resort stem from large crowds which make a day a Disneyland less enjoyable. 1 million annual pass-holders guarantees overcrowding and stress on the rides and cast.

WDW on the other hand has not added anything new that was compelling in years. Responding to Harry Potter with a redo of Fantasyland. Also, a new DVC resort is not a reason to visit WDW. All I can say is we will be in Florida this summer and we have our reservations at Universal and have no plans to go to WDW.

Finally, "One Disney" is destroying the parks. Folks want unique experiences rather than something churned out from the cookie cutter. I can remember when each land at Disneyland had its own merchandise. Now there is little difference between merchandise at Disneyland and WDW. The exception is the merchandise flying out of Carsland. Of course the Carsland merchandise is unique, at least until the cookie cutter does its work in Florida.

I love going to Dland and watching the classic films, and I enjoy Pixar. I don't really get much into it otherwise. I'm in it for the experiences. I rarely buy souvenirs. I had a pass from 2007-2009 and then didn't get one again until 2011.

There may come a day when I will get tired of Disneyland or if it becomes "old" or "regular" feeling instead of feeling new and special. But I have a method of getting the most out of my trips, and it helps keep things fresh. Taking breaks from something does help. If I ever do really get over it, thats OK! There's a whole world out there to explore.

Life is long and people change.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    the post makes me want to go to Disneyland even more now, infact i got a visit planned for tomorrow! i can look past the what ever bad qualities people are naming about Disney these days and still enjoy the park as it is..i still feel the magic!
    You are absolutely in the majority. Heck I think two years ago I would have said the same thing. I hope that the experience remains the same for you your entire life. Reading these boards and watching the folks pour through the turnstiles tells me your odds are quite favorable. Have fun tomorrow and every visit after.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
    You are absolutely in the majority. Heck I think two years ago I would have said the same thing. I hope that the experience remains the same for you your entire life. Reading these boards and watching the folks pour through the turnstiles tells me your odds are quite favorable. Have fun tomorrow and every visit after.
    i just don't listen to the complaints and gripes.. i don't have any about Disney, after all it's because of them that i have a pass at such a valuable rate with discounts..so i am grateful.

• I'm from Canada eh!

A good friend of mine that I work with just came back from his first family vacation in Disneyland over the Christmas holiday. I talked for hours with him about what to do, where to eat and how to "do" Disney. Knowing full well that it was busy I always followed every piece of advice with, "But it is going to be busy, so pack you patience". Reading about the crowd levels over the past week, I was concerned that he may be having a bad time due to my expectations as a AP holder of what a bad park experience can entail. So when I asked about his park experience, I was very happy to hear that they had a great time and could hardly complain about anything. Sure it was busy, sure some rides broke down and sure stuff was expensive, but they LOVED it.

Why does this matter? I guess it is a decent example of the typical vacationerís first experience. Disney makes a great first impression, but after 10 visits, 20 visits or even 8 years worth of AP pass visits that first impression turns a bit sour because every time you go you are expecting to be wowed; couple that with a generally negative opinion through the various social media sites and the Magic has no chance.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast