Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: It's Happening ... I'm Getting Over Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    "Carsland" doesn't feel like traditional Disney to some of us because it's a land based entirely off a cartoon. Sure, perhaps a good cartoon, with lots of "heart." And sure, the land may feature excellent detailing and theming. This isn't the argument. All agree it looks awesome. In the end, though, it's still a cartoon land.

What land in Walt's original Disneyland was based entirely on a cartoon? Even Fantasyland wasn't based on a single cartoon, and later received theming based on traditional Eurpoean half-timber and Tyrolean architecture, lending the facades of the rides a veneer of reality.

THIS is the difference. Original Disneyland gave us lands based on reality--history, "hard facts," Main Streets and Frontiers. Sure, some of the attractions were based on cartoons, and later live-action movies, but the four overriding realms of the imagination were represented by quasi-realistic themed lands.
    Have you been to Carsland yet Steve?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    If I'm not mistaken CarsLand and the movie Cars itself was based on a traditional American Reality of the old dusty Route 66. Didn't Lasseter say that the movie was inspired by a road trip that he was on? Carsland is a representation of not just a "cartoon" but of those old desolate location found on Route 66, the odd shops and run-down little towns. I think that's exactly why so many adults have fallen in love with Carsland along with the kids. Kids love the movies and parents love the nosalgia of the open road and trips they took as kids. Hell, I'm only 31 and it reminds me of taking road trips with my pop and brother and stopping in placed just like that.

I think Carsland is a great balance of reality and cartoon. to me it hits both aspects right on the mark.
    Bingo!

"Carsland" doesn't feel like traditional Disney to some of us because it's a land based entirely off a cartoon. Sure, perhaps a good cartoon, with lots of "heart." And sure, the land may feature excellent detailing and theming. This isn't the argument. All agree it looks awesome. In the end, though, it's still a cartoon land.

What land in Walt's original Disneyland was based entirely on a cartoon? Even Fantasyland wasn't based on a single cartoon, and later received theming based on traditional Eurpoean half-timber and Tyrolean architecture, lending the facades of the rides a veneer of reality.

THIS is the difference. Original Disneyland gave us lands based on reality--history, "hard facts," Main Streets and Frontiers. Sure, some of the attractions were based on cartoons, and later live-action movies, but the four overriding realms of the imagination were represented by quasi-realistic themed lands.
    And uh no because as christianAdam said...It was based on places from Route 66.

I remember a visit to the Grand Canyon back in 2010 and we stopped by Grand Canyon Caverns. The Tour guide said the movie was based on the small town of Peach Springs, where these caverns are located on Route 66. As was stated above, Lassiter did visit Route 66 sites and I believe Peach Springs was one of them.

Now maybe it was just promotion on the tour guides' part for the Caverns but it seems right to me.
    Last edited by clara; 01-04-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: correcting link

• Closed Account

Well, I guess you could say Toontown is based off of old LA, what with the "Toontown" sign on the hill, like the Hollywood sign, and its original location in the movie as basically a suburb of LA.

But in the end, both are cartoon lands.

• Non-Minion

Well, I guess you could say Toontown is based off of old LA, what with the "Toontown" sign on the hill, like the Hollywood sign, and its original location in the movie as basically a suburb of LA.

I fail to see your relation but a comparison of ToonTown and CarsLand couldn't possibly be a bigger stretch.

and to be fair Cars was not a cartoon. It was an animated film using computer generated images.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Closed Account

I fail to see your relation but a comparison of ToonTown and CarsLand couldn't possibly be a bigger stretch.

and to be fair Cars was not a cartoon. It was an animated film using computer generated images.
    Um, OK. But to most of us, "cartoon" is a synonym of "animation."

Quote Originally Posted by atherton View Post
    I love the corporate branding comment as if basically EVERY ride in the past wasn't sponsored by a company. In my opinion the branding is much less than it used to be. And if it is Disney branding then who cares?

NO OTHER PARK keeps up the maintenance and new entertainment like Disney parks do. NONE.

If you are getting tired of Disneyland maybe you just went too much. Or maybe as you're getting older you're just over it. Don't blame Disney! Don't try and make it not about you...it IS about you.
    Yes, it is about me. And my Disney fatigue. I don't think I made any other accusation? I certainly didn't "blame" Disney, or intend to. But in the "Lost"-like sideways world that exists in my head, in 1995, Disney would have spun itself off into two entirely separate companies: The Walt Disney Company and ABC Inc. They would have operated entirely independently of each other. The Disney side would have focused on everything Disney did prior to 1995. I believe we would have ended up with a much more creatively focused company that could continue to grow its core activity in new, exciting ways without having to be a media conglomerate -- and that ABC would have thrived, as well.

But that didn't happen. So, we are where we are.

As for your claim that NO OTHER park matches Disney, I suggest you visit the Universal Orlando parks, which are quite astonishing in their ability to capture much of that Disney-style feeling.

As for corporate branding ... you're right, of course. But it certainly seemed a lot different when Carnation ran a restaurant or Hunt's was the "official ketchup," when an attraction was "presented by" a company ... and everything wasn't about hyping, hawking and relentlessly beating the pulp out of whatever major entertainment project Disney was working on. For a while, I was seriously convinced they were going to turn Tom Sawyer's Island into simply "Sawyer's Island" and give it a "Lost" theme.

I'm sure the idea was floated around.

• Rock Star Minion

That sounds interesting, especially when you consider that Disney didn't purchase Cap Cities/ABC until 1996.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

THIS is the difference. Original Disneyland gave us lands based on reality--history, "hard facts," Main Streets and Frontiers.
    Uh, that was just Walt's opening day speech, and I think it was meant to appeal to those Davy Crockett fans who romanticized the "hard facts" of frontier living . . . Disneyland omits the real hard facts of American history, like slavery, discrimination, the world wars, the cold war.

Tomorrowland: Not entirely based on reality. No displays about the astronauts/test pilots who died in accidents. The Sub ride was about sea monsters, Atlantis, mermaids, but not about the hard facts of the proliferation of nuclear technology.
    Fantasyland: Not based on reality.
    Main Street: Idealized reality with a castle at the end of the street.
    Frontierland: Idealized frontier life. Where are the exhibits about frontiersman being mauled by bears, shot, or dying of some now easily preventable disease?
    New Orleans: I guess you could say that Pirates delves into the 'hard facts' of living the life of a pirate?
    Adventureland: Because going down the Nile, Amazon, and a couple of other rivers doesn't require mosquito nets to prevent malaria. Are there 'hard facts' being displayed on the Jungle Cruise? Is there is a display about the millions of kids who die from diarrhea on the dark continent each year? Kinda don't think so. It's idealized, generalized, homogenized and sterilized Disney fun.

Same thing with Carsland.

• Banned User

The buildings, such as Flo's, Ornament Valley, all look pretty 'real' to me, despite the decorations to make it look like cars live in RSR. The only time you see the "cartoonish" aspect is when you see the animatronics or the drive-around characters.

Who looks at Ornament Valley and thinks its a cartoon?!

• Banned User

If I'm not mistaken CarsLand and the movie Cars itself was based on a traditional American Reality of the old dusty Route 66. Didn't Lasseter say that the movie was inspired by a road trip that he was on? Carsland is a representation of not just a "cartoon" but of those old desolate location found on Route 66, the odd shops and run-down little towns. I think that's exactly why so many adults have fallen in love with Carsland along with the kids. Kids love the movies and parents love the nosalgia of the open road and trips they took as kids. Hell, I'm only 31 and it reminds me of taking road trips with my pop and brother and stopping in placed just like that.

I think Carsland is a great balance of reality and cartoon. to me it hits both aspects right on the mark.
    I think you hit the nail right on the head, Carsland works because it is sort of a narrative in the old style of rich story telling with something for every age.

You've got the car culture for a subset of adults.
    The naturalistic beauty of Ornament Valley.
    The sentimentality of Flo's Cafe, and the Cozy Cone.
    And you've got the characters which especially appeal to kids, but adults love them as well.

I get nostalgic for road trips too, especially since I've traveled around northern Arizona a lot. Carsland sure brings back that nostalgia in all the good ways. Just walking around Flo's with the scenery, it really brings back good memories.

Carsland feels like Fantasyland too, in that its a place where adults can re-live the fun of being a kid, like Walt wanted Disneyland to be.

• Minion

Yeah, I'm getting over Disney too. We had some good times together, memories I will always cherish... but sadly, Disney has moved on from me, and it's time for me to move on from Disney. You can't make someone love you, so I can't make Disney love me. Sorry it didn't work out, Disney, but I wish you well and I hope you find someone to love you. Bye.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I hope you find someone to love you.
    They have. Oh, they have.

•   
    • Minion

Nice post EC82. As for me I couldn't disagree more but all just my opinions. I always go to lose myself at the parks and I am able to do that so I have a blast everytime I go regardless of which park I am in. Disneyland has always been crowded so I don't really feel a difference there luckily I can use FP to get on attractions I love. I believe if you look for a good time you will find it and if you look for flaws you will find those too. Hopefully someday you will love it again.

• Cunning infiltrator

I still have a good time at the Disneyland Resort, be it alone or with family and friends. Do you?

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    I still have a good time at the Disneyland Resort, be it alone or with family and friends. Do you?
    Yes, I do.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast