Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

It's Happening ... I'm Getting Over Disney

As I look back on the year and ahead to the new one, I realize something with a bit of alacrity: I am very, very nearly "over" Disney. (Since this touches on several elements of Disney, I am posting it in the Disneyland section, but feel free to move it if you see fit.)

I'll start with D23. I was a big, big supporter of it and went online a lot this summer to defend it when I felt people were being overly critical. I've always thought, if you're a Disney fan, you should be a member of the Disney fan club. Well, about four months ago my membership to D23 lapsed, and after thinking about it a LONG time, I put the reminder notice into the shredder (so my family wouldn't find it and say, "You threw this out by mistake!") and decided to see what would happen if I didn't renew. And the result is ...... drum roll please..... absolutely NOTHING. I've not missed it at all.

The last issue of the magazine I felt was more than ever just a corporate brand magazine, and since I plan to be out of the country when the Expo is happening this year I realized there was no point in being a member. I am still on their Facebook page and I follow what they do there, and it just seems more than ever that D23 doesn't know what it wants to be. It's not a fan club, it's a corporate messaging service. But I'm not ANGRY at it, and when people ask me if they should be a member I tell them yes, but have started adding that you won't really get much for your money if you're not a "participator" in events and such. OK, so, D23 became a ho-hum experience that while I still can appreciate, I don't feel is vital in any way. (Their Facebook page is really, really boring.... they even seem to delete negative comments about Disney, which lead to no real actual communication between members.)

With D23 down, I started thinking about why I bought a Premier passport last year. I was going to Florida for work AND I have been a Disneyland Annual Passholder for about six years, so it made sense. But the last time I went to WDW, I tried SO hard to cut Disney some slack but found the whole place was feeling run down and tired. They built too much and now they don't want to maintain it, they want to charge people more to provide less, which today in particular (with the fiscal cliff vote) feels like a running theme in the country overall. When we went to WDW for six days, I actually started getting ....bored. I HATE TO SAY THAT. But apart from rides we had done a dozen times or more, it didn't feel there was much new and more importantly, it felt like they were closing or not maintaining older things. It was sad to go by the Wonders of Life Pavilion at Epcot or to see that Disney still won't spend the money to fix the Yeti in Expedition Everest. Pavilions at Epcot looked tired, and for ME to say that is really saying something, because I'm a major Epcot fan. Disney's Hollywood Studios felt like one big giant corporate commercial, and all I kept thinking about while there was how much I used to ADORE the Studios, it made me fall in love with the movies all over again every time I went there. It was special. Now, it's a corporate brand program.

Compare that to Universal Studios, where I went for the first time in a VERY long time. It felt fresh! Granted, it was "new" to me in a lot of ways, but literally it LOOKED AND FELT fresh and new. They were keeping it up. The staff was polite and courteous. (I'm not joking.) Everything in the rides actually WORKED. Even "off-the-shelf" rides like the roller coasters looked like they were being maintained. I had been on "Spider-Man" before and thought, Wow, this actually looks like it did the last time I was on it. The vehicles weren't all scratched up, the queue area wasn't gross and dirty, the employees TALKED TO ME and smiled, the ride worked perfectly, and when I got off I was smiling. OK, enough about Universal. This isn't a comparison, but it was the first "chink in the armor" for me when it came to Disney.

I live on the west coast, so I've been visiting Disneyland a lot this year due to my Premier pass. Maybe too much. Likely too much. Because from the moment I pull into the parking structure and see a bunch of people waving wands at me and looking incredibly unhappy, to the time I get on the tram and am basically shoved on with a ton of people and driven by areas filled with plastic tarps, to the time I get into the parks, it all feels ....long in the tooth.

Everywhere you go at Disneyland, DISNEY is thrown in your face. Either that or Star Wars. I don't mean Disney permeates the place, which would be wonderful. I mean, it's like going to the grocery store and being bombarded by ads and branding. That's what Disneyland has started feeling like to me.

The guests themselves are less considerate, by far. People run around like they own the place, they shove their strollers wherever they want to, they sit down and eat fast food they've brought in on the side of the curb, they are not pleasant. The place is always TOO crowded, it's becoming crazy -- in October, I went on a Thursday afternoon, and everything was jam packed. Clearly, too many annual passholders, but, hey, I'm one of them so I don't actively complain about that.

But then there's the experience in general. I don't know how to describe it, it just has come to feel so ....corporatized. There's no sponteneity. Now, I paid $700 for my annual pass, so I figure I get a LITTLE room to express my negative opinions ....most companies these days actively encourage feedback. Disney doesn't, except if it's yet another restaurant survey when exiting the park. Mostly, they don't want to hear it. But because it's Disney and because I have FOND memories of such high customer service, I expect that there, and more and more I feel I'm the one at fault because I have these expectations. I admit I have started to actively look for things that are "wrong," but it isn't much of a challenge. Rides are in incredibly poor shape, everything is scuffed and dinged. Wherever you go inside a ride, there's trash -- I don't mean a piece or two of trash, I mean there are drink cups and popcorn containers and fast-food wrappers pretty much everywhere. It seems Disney doesn't care.

BUT ... this isn't just a post about why theme park customer service has fallen in quality. It's about Disney in general.

I remember in the '80s and '90s being SO excited by ANYTHING Disney did. "Beauty and the Beast," "The Little Mermaid," "Aladdin," "The Lion King," "Pocahontas," "Toy Story," the Touchstone movies ("Three Men and a Baby," "Good Morning Vietnam"), the new resorts at Walt Disney World, the Disney Store, it felt like Disney was an endless source of creativity that could never end.

Now ... Marvel super heroes are stuffed into Disney parks because Disney bought them, and no one really asks, "Do they fit?" Soon, "Star Wars" will be even MORE ubiquitous. Everything is Pixar not because it works thematically, but because Disney needs to "monetize." From what I've heard, Walt Disney Imagineering has been eviscerated, Disney Animation basically doesn't exist, and the movie lineup for next year is all remakes of remakes of reboots of franchises.

There's just no magic left, and I've gotten disillusioned. I know, a lot of you will say "Stop complaining and don't give them your money if you don't like it." And I guess that's what I'm going to do. I've made a decision to go to Disneyland MAYBE two times this year -- I already know when they will be, and paying for the ticket is going to be more financially logical rather than buying an annual pass.

I'm hoping that if I get rid of D23 and stop going to the parks, maybe I can get a little "breather." I can enjoy other West Coast theme parks, go to Vegas, travel to cities other than Orlando, and maybe -- I hope SOOOOOO much -- by January 1, 2014, I'll feel I miss Disney.

Maybe I am alone in feeling like Disney's new strategy of being a "content management company" makes them.... very non-Disney. It all feels so calculated and forced, in the name of making money for shareholders.

I remember when Eisner and Wells expanded Epcot, built Disney-MGM Studios, started building all of the resorts, expanded into Europe (with something that felt VERY different), and challenged their workers to always amaze consumers. For a long while, you never really knew what Disney was going to do next, and you knew whatever it was, you wanted to see it!

Now, there's ANOTHER Disneyland in China (it doesn't seem to bother Disney what China's politics are like, as long as there is money), Disney will churn out a new "Star Wars" movie and more Marvel super hero movies because they are guaranteed money makers, Pixar will deliver another animated film once a year, and ABC and ESPN will continue to be the new "heart" of The Walt Disney Company. NOTHING feels creative or original or exciting anymore, and when I go to the Parks and read the D23 magazine, it just gets a little depressing. Everything is designed to provide the greatest possible revenue with the lowest possible creative risk.

So, like I said, maybe after a "Disney breather" I will start to miss it and will welcome it back. But for now as we start a new year, I guess I will say at least a temporary farewell to Disney. I WANT to feel the magic ... but I can't be FORCED to, if that makes sense?

• Goofy

Re: It's Happening ... I'm Getting Over Disney

i enjoyed reading your reviews thanks. i too will skip disney for a while in the coming months. my pass will expire late march. i am thinking about buy myself a knotts ap this year. looking foward to that. but good review thanks.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Great review, and I think many here can relate.

My roommate and best friend feels the same exact way. As far as back as I can remember, we've both had AP's. Granted, we're only 22, but we live here in Anaheim so going to the park often is easy. As of recently he is 100% over it. Over the price hikes, over the crowds, and just overall, well, over it. I understand where he is coming from, even though I still frequent the park fairly often.

Honestly though, I think a break is what is needed. Step away for a bit, and see how you feel when you think you're ready to go back. I understand that your complaint is with the company itself, and the branding aspect and I can tell you that isn't going to change. But maybe if you take yourself out of the equation for a while, you won't feel that way as much and will be able to enjoy the parks again. Best of luck to you and again, great review!

Wow, EC82. Thank you very much for that incredible post.
    I could not agree with you more. My family and I can relate to so much of what you say.

Disney is way out of touch and certainly takes its customers for granted in so many ways. The parks and companies are out of touch. I have recently experienced Islands of Adventures and Universal Studios and I too was very impressed. Harry Potters wizarding world blows "new Fantasyland" out of the water.

I hope Disney can "right the" company and put it back on track as a innovator and leader in entertainment although I fear, sequels, reboots and lack of innovation has become par for the course. Perhaps in 2013 Disney corporate management will prove us all wrong and change for the better, one can only hope at this point.

• Minion

I think what you're maybe getting over, EC, is something that calls itself Disney, but isn't really Disney anymore. At least the Disney that many of us knew growing up in the 60s and 70s.

I know I'll be labeled as nostalgic and a purist by some on here, but like it or not, many of the paradigm shifts we've seen over the last decade or two are making the park less recognizable to us as Disney, including the way attractions are implemented into the park and the overall general philosophy behind those attractions, and the park itself.

Disneyland was just special. It was different in so many ways from the other amusement parks of the time. It established something unique. For me, seeing that model of greatness is not about just being nostalgic for the past, it's simply wanting to see something philosophically great return to the park.

And no, it doesn't have to be old attractions brought back to life. It's about taking the ideas that made Disneyland special and continuing on with that trend with NEW ideas.

So I might be wrong, but I think what you're getting over is something that is "pretending to be Disney" and calling itself Disney, but is falling short in so many ways.

I think these paradigm shifts are even being evidenced on these boards where anything that even remotely suggests a "purist" or "traditionalist" attitude is labeled with a negative connotation, when it really doesn't have to be. Some will praise the ideals on which Disney was founded, but then turn around and embrace a third gate that is exclusively Marvel or Star Wars, or the like. And yes, I know that Disney owns those brands now. But they were products that were already so iconic unto themselves, they didn't need Disney. Certainly Disney's interest has kept them alive, but they're not Disney. The only way I see them having a chance at being Disney is if Disney tweaks them in the way Walt and Co. tweaked the fairy tales and made them his own.

What I see though is the public buying into the commercialization, and so it goes.

And the further we get away from what made Disney original in the first place, and as those of us who remember that model that made it great move on to the next life, the connection will be soundly gone.

I'm with you though, EC. My pass expired a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not sure I'll reapply either. The park just feels too impersonal. It is indeed way too crowded. I remember when I first upgraded to Premium, I was under the impression it would be better, because crowds would be smaller on certain days. That wasn't the case. It's crowded all the time there it seems.

Am I getting over Disney? I'll never get over Disney. What I will get over is what "Disney" has become. It's no longer the vibe I felt growing up. It's no longer the vibe I felt when I was a CM there.

And speaking of, I think there's only one place where I might disagree with you. Other former CMs (from the 60s, 70s and 80s) might disagree with me, but I was there just prior to Eisner taking over, and then for a number of years after. To be honest I never got the feeling that the upper level CEOs of the company challenged us to amaze the guests about anything after Eisner took over.

In fact, I think that's when a lot of CMs began to feel like just a cog in the wheel.

Oh sure, there were still a lot of veteran CMs from the 50s-70s who stayed on through the 80s, so many of us tried to hold on to what we knew was truly the Disney brand, but many quit as the decade progressed. And maybe that's why some on here can still think fondly of the 80s in some respects. There were still enough veteran CMs who held on to the Disney way.

When Walt was around, he knew us by name and saw us as an integral part of the show.

The new guard may have pretended to see us that way, but their actions sent a different message.
    After that new leadership took over, there were corporate-driven changes that impacted CMs greatly. We felt the CM was being deemphasized in the show and that the sense of family that had been instilled in us seemed to be diminishing, starting from the top down. Many of us fought it and never let them break our spirit, and many of us are still close friends to this day. It was an amazing bond that the old Disney created in us. And we never let go of it.

That's what I remember. Others can disagree if they like, but that was the feeling I was getting.

And having CMs working next to my side who experienced the Disney of the 70s (and earlier), I could tell through the stories they shared that it definitely was different.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 01-02-2013 at 05:59 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As of midnight I am no longer an AP holder.

Pretty much all of the opinions already expressed support my not renewing. For me though it was the price increase and the realization that Disneyland really is no longer what it used to be. It has slipped so far by now that going multiple times per year just doesn't deliver the magic anymore. It isn't that I'm bored with it. It's because of all the opinions expressed so far. I don't disagree with any of them.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Funny, I came to the same conclusions pretty much. I also did what you did with D23. I was a charter member, and was excited, but then figured I would let my membership lapse to see if I missed it. Guess what? I don't!

I've loved Disney for so long, it's very hard to get it totally out of my system though, but I've been so bored by what they've become that even the classic stuff has lost some of that magic. I used to get so excited by each new video/DVD release that I always pre-ordered to get the lithographs and stuff the Disney store released. Then I stopped pre-ordering...but still bought every single release (and re-release) of their movies. But...maybe a year ago, I stopped altogether. I've let my collection totally slide and haven't bought a new Disney movie since. And you know what? I don't miss it. I even gave a bunch of my DVD's to a friend and I still don't miss them. I think maybe I just got over-saturated with the brand, and a break is a good thing. I've even grown tired of my collection of memorabilia. I actually feel like I want to sell off my entire collection so that I can then buy "regular" art and decorations. I don't want the first thing people say about my living space is that it looks like a Disney Store exploded...which is what they usually say now.

It's not that I'm totally negative either, it's that I've just lost interest. Disney itself has caused me to abandon it and move on.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Wow, some great posts here, especially the OP and CASurfer65. The feeling is mutual here and I have stepped back as well from Disneyland and Disney in general as it is no longer the "Magical" company anymore. It has become, as all mega-corporations, cold and calculated. Originality has been shown the door and in it's place are brands that the Company can milk until they are dead.
    There will be the posters who will say "Well, Disney needs to move forward so the bottom line will show a profit" but to me Disney needs to move backward and get back to what they did the best by themselves although I think they are too far gone for that to happen.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Not on the Jedi Council

I went to Disneyland on New Year's Eve, and my day was magical. I went by myself, and met a lady, her two daughters and a family friend and we hung out for most of the day. It was great! I saw Monstro was finally repainted, and Indy looked cool, and I rode Thunder Mountain before it goes down. Got Monte Cristo bites at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree and sung along with Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. Even bought a cute Donald Duck shirt.

I don't know I will have such magical days every time I go, and there will be a time when I give up. Just haven't reached it yet.

Does corporate Disney treat their employees as cattle and the customers as a cash source? Yeah. Most companies do these days. Do I wish the company had new Haunted Mansions and PotC rides that weren't just tied to existing properties? Sure.

But the good Disneyland started because a very unique man was alive, a man who was a genius and gave his all to everything he did. Animated movies, one of the creators of the modern theme park (the other being Mr. Knott), and aspiring city planner. As the owner and founder, he had power in ways even John Lasseter doesn't at this point. He was given penny pinching advice all the time, but had the ability to ignore it. The way companies are structured now, no one can leave money on the table without being called on it or fired.

Squeezing every last dime from people or risk being sued by shareholders. That's how it is. That, and I think modern corporate people geniunely think they are worth more than any other management teams in history while "worker bees" should be grateful they aren't getting worse pay and conditions, which they are doing over time. Not just at Disney, but everywhere. It's just the way things are. I will be leaving the non-Disney corporation I work at over similar issues as soon as I can find a new path and a new job.

I would agree that D23 was a corporate branding tool, and it felt that way two years ago when I started as a passholder.

If you leave, we'll be happy to see you here when you come back.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

^They'll be even happier if you come back with a fist-full of dollars...

• Chief Troublemaker

The quote that enters my mind after reading these posts is "Familiarity breeds contempt". I think when a person has unlimited access to something the 'glow' eventually wears off and one begins to see the 'cracks'. That's just human nature. This is not to say that people who are able to visit the parks frequently aren't seeing the things the PPs in this thread mention or that their reasons for becoming disenchanted aren't true. It's just an observation. When someone pays the money an AP holder does, or even what a frequent 'pay per visit' guest pays, it's only normal to want the biggest 'bang for your buck'.

When I was a frequent visitor (in the 70s-early 80s, as a local teenager & young adult) I don't remember ever seeing those 'cracks'. Now, whether that's because of my age at the time, because there weren't any, or because the cost to visit was more reasonable, I don't know. Maybe all three.

Now, I'm an 'infrequent' visitor. It's very much a special treat for me to visit DLR. I went for the first time in 7 years last fall and am going again in 7 weeks. I probably won't go again for 2 years. The magic was still there for me in Sept and I know it will be there in Feb. Why? I think just because that magic isn't something that I can take for granted, as I would if I could go at the drop of a hat. I will choose to see only the magic because I don't know when I'll see it again.

This is not to say that Disney doesn't need to improve, or shouldn't take a look at its past to help determine its future. I read things here and then saw things on my last trip that made me shake my head. But because I knew I wouldn't be back for a long time (my upcoming trip in Feb was a surprise gift from DH) I decided to ignore those things. Something a frequent visitor probably can't do. And maybe Disney fans shouldn't do, if they really want to see a change for the better in their experiences. Unfortunately, until profit drops or something really negatively impacts PR, nothing will change.

But, just as familiarity breeds contempt, so does 'absence make the heart grow fonder'. I'm sure that after a period of time away from the parks, your enthusiasm will return and with it, the magic. At least, I hope so. After all, we all need a little (Disney) magic in our lives, don't we?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Mischievous Mouse

It's a shame, but i agree with many of the sediments here, what was once a great place to go with my family more often, will now have to be much less often.

The reality that DLR is and always has been a machine to make money has become more and more obvious and will continue even more as they learned a very lucrative lesson with Cars Land.

It was a fun ride while it lasted!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I know I'll be labeled as nostalgic and a purist by some on here, but like it or not, many of the paradigm shifts we've seen over the last decade or two are making the park less recognizable to us as Disney, including the way attractions are implemented into the park and the overall general philosophy behind those attractions, and the park itself.

I think these paradigm shifts are even being evidenced on these boards where anything that even remotely suggests a "purist" or "traditionalist" attitude is labeled with a negative connotation, when it really doesn't have to be. Some will praise the ideals on which Disney was founded, but then turn around and embrace a third gate that is exclusively Marvel or Star Wars, or the like. And yes, I know that Disney owns those brands now. But they were products that were already so iconic unto themselves, they didn't need Disney. Certainly Disney's interest has kept them alive, but they're not Disney. The only way I see them having a chance at being Disney is if Disney tweaks them in the way Walt and Co. tweaked the fairy tales and made them his own.
    You had good points until you started acting like an 'oppressed lower class woe is me' and attacking people with other view points than yours, viewpoints that wernt even brought up in this thread at all.

Stormy has a point though, perhaps many on here were simply going too much to the park. Too much of a good thing and all that.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Adventures with Duffy

My AP ran out in June and I couldn't afford to renew it and if I could afford to renew it at these high prices I wouldn't. I'm tired of the crowds, the lack of original merchantdic, not so good food and CM who seem to be so unhappy and missing the Disney magic. I too miss the 80's & 90's.

What I miss about Disneyland can be found in Tokyo Disney Resort and would much rather have an 11 hour flight in an uncomfortable seat. Then a 20 min car ride to DLR. it breaks my heart that this is how I feel about the park I grew up in.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Thank you OP for sharing your perceptions. I found myself just nodding my head in agreement. Being from out of state, our family has pretty consistently visited the resort around 5 times a year for many years. We have decided that we too will not be renewing our premium passes when they expire on May 13th.
    After that we will be just buying a park hopper for the Gumball weekend (unless it's before the 13th hint.hint.) and that will be it for a while.
    We aren't really bothered too much by the crowds (they seemed to have the parkhopper at the turnstile problem taken care of) since we like to just wander around and we are really good at fast passes. The thing that we started to notice is that it doesn't feel like a "different place and time" like it did before. I remember how the park was so clean it became a joke on TV shows. There was always a cast member with a broom and pan walking around almost obsessively looking for something out of place. I suspect those folks now direct traffic. It still looks clean compared to the side of the freeway or out on Harbor but it's not Magically Clean if that makes sense. I realize that this seems to be a personal issue but as I said I used to want to go to Disneyland to NOT be somewhere else. We are also coaster enthusiasts and have visited many many parks around the country. We don't go to Disneyland because of the thrilling rides we went for the experience. I can name quite a few parks with thrilling rides that are actually better at creating another place in time than Disneyland now. The best of both worlds for us.
    We will be back in smaller doses but for us it is not special enough to obsess over any more.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast