Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    though, what the difference is between perspective and 3-D?
    What I'm referring to is the way Disney's newest 3D movies don't actually have any 3D. The screen goes in farther, giving it an added perspective/depth, but nothing actually comes towards you, which the traditional usage of the technology. It's basically a pointless effect, as the screen already does this for the most part.

• Banned User

We enjoyed it more at home, on Christmas... We felt its an attraction to skip, at the park ..

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

It's too bad Disney just doesn't have the gumption to refresh the Muppets or install something new and original in that theater instead of promoting showing saturday morning cartoons.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• I'm a fiddle player......

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    What I'm referring to is the way Disney's newest 3D movies don't actually have any 3D. The screen goes in farther, giving it an added perspective/depth, but nothing actually comes towards you, which the traditional usage of the technology. It's basically a pointless effect, as the screen already does this for the most part.
    It was made as a TV special, not a 3D movie for a theme park, so that is why there is nothing coming toward you. I do agree the 4D is very weak and there is nothing really 4d about it except a few lights. But then again the film was never made for that. I do like the Prep and Landing shorts but I think they looked at DCAs holiday offerings and probably felt it was little small so they thought this would be an easy and cheap show to put in.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by napamaninsocal View Post
    It was made as a TV special, not a 3D movie for a theme park, so that is why there is nothing coming toward you. .
    All the more reason not to market it as a 3D movie.

• Goofy

So I finally got around to seeing this "4D" show in DCA's Muppet theatre and geez, did I think it was just awful. Granted I'm not the target audience, but still this was not entertaining in the least. For starters, the show is in a space that traditionally shows previews for films, so I thought I was seeing another one, not a complete film. As this is a ABC Family TV special, I was expecting to be in there 10-15 minutes for a preview, not 20 to see the whole thing. I may not have minded if I understood that this wasn't another preview, or if it had been good. Either one. My basic problem with the show was that it's simply not funny. It feels like a boring Saturday morning cartoon, not something that should be hosting park guests. it's just tedious and generic and the audience I was with didn't seem to like it much more than I did. Not a laugh to be heard the entire show. Lastly, there's the false "4D" advertising. Other than the unnecessary glasses, which in usual lazy Disney 3D fashion only put the screen in perspective, not 3D, there are no in-theatre effects like there were in Tron, Frankenweinie, or even during Muppets. The entire marketing scheme for this is a failure. The show is boring, no one knows who these characters are (as I said above, it's a holiday special from ABC family, they're still trying to turn into a franchise), and there's nothing about it that's 3D, let alone 4. Both me and the person I was with were fighting hard to stay awake, and I enjoy shows like this usually. I do not fall asleep at the park. If you're in need of something to put the kids in front of for a few minutes and take a nap, this is your show. Other than that, don't waste your time.

nice review thanks. entertainment is lacking these days.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I hate when people think that there opinions should be the opinion of everyone. You admit upgront that you aren't the target audience but still decide that everyone should avoid it unless they need a nap?

I personally thoroughly enjoyed it. 20 minutes is not a long time. I thought prep and landing was adorable and very appropriate for the season. I laughed and the audience laughed along as well. There was a 4D effect or two, they used spotlights in the theater during a portion of the movie where they were using a flashlight is the main one I remember (I went in early December). I'll grant the effects weren't that noticeable or really added much but all in all I enjoyed.

I even bought the first prep & landing on amazon instant video to watch for xmas eve.
    Agreed. Speaks for everyone he does.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Still Dizzy

All the more reason not to market it as a 3D movie.
    A good chunk of 3d movies these days are about depth and not about things jumping out at you. Just because it's a different use of 3d doesn’t make it not 3d.

• Hukuna Matata!

I am going to have to risk the 20 minutes for my first return back to the park this year, Thanks Maul for the advise

• Banned User

A good chunk of 3d movies these days are about depth and not about things jumping out at you.
    True. And I don't go to them because of it.

• Sock Puppet

A review is one thing, even a negative review, but a lot of the working in your review made it feel like your opinion should be all encompassing to everyone who goes. I always try hard to not speak in absolutes.
    Really? I didn't notice that at all. I guess because I was reading it as HIS OPINION. He's allowed to say that he found it not entertaining, not funny, boring and recommend that people should avoid it, because those are his opinions and it's his review. Seriously, get a grip. Rather than pick apart his review telling him what he can and can't say, why not just post your own?

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Really? I didn't notice that at all. I guess because I was reading it as HIS OPINION. He's allowed to say that he found it not entertaining, not funny, boring and recommend that people should avoid it, because those are his opinions and it's his review. Seriously, get a grip. Rather than pick apart his review telling him what he can and can't say, why not just post your own?
    Telling me to get a grip was unnecessary While yay for you that you read his review as an opinion, I obviously read it differently. Weird how different people can take different things away from the same post. It's like we're all different people or something entitled to our own opinions.

Your opinion of his review doesn't negate mine. And in the part of my post that you didn't quote, I did give my own review.

I have to say that this show was the only real negative of our family trip (well, other than the spotty screen at Soarin). We had never been to Disneyland at Christmas time, and we were very impressed with the holiday offerings in both parks . . . except Prep and Landing 4D. It was not funny. Not interesting. No one in the theater laughed. My kids (3, 7, 10) had nothing to say about it when it ended except: "Why did we have to wear these glasses?" Honestly, the 4D wasn't anything-- not even 3D. I give this show two thumbs down.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

It was longer than we thought it would be too. I think besides the lights there was a little sprinkling of water, wasn't there? Still not a great 4D experience. We would not watch it again.

• Circle of Ancients

We saw it on NYE and had a pretty large group (maybe 15 of us) and the general consensus was that we all enjoyed it for what it was (a temporary attraction).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast