Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Thumbs down Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    So I finally got around to seeing this "4D" show in DCA's Muppet theatre and geez, did I think it was just awful. Granted I'm not the target audience, but still this was not entertaining in the least. For starters, the show is in a space that traditionally shows previews for films, so I thought I was seeing another one, not a complete film. As this is a ABC Family TV special, I was expecting to be in there 10-15 minutes for a preview, not 20 to see the whole thing. I may not have minded if I understood that this wasn't another preview, or if it had been good. Either one. My basic problem with the show was that it's simply not funny. It feels like a boring Saturday morning cartoon, not something that should be hosting park guests. it's just tedious and generic and the audience I was with didn't seem to like it much more than I did. Not a laugh to be heard the entire show. Lastly, there's the false "4D" advertising. Other than the unnecessary glasses, which in usual lazy Disney 3D fashion only put the screen in perspective, not 3D, there are no in-theatre effects like there were in Tron, Frankenweinie, or even during Muppets. The entire marketing scheme for this is a failure. The show is boring, no one knows who these characters are (as I said above, it's a holiday special from ABC family, they're still trying to turn into a franchise), and there's nothing about it that's 3D, let alone 4. Both me and the person I was with were fighting hard to stay awake, and I enjoy shows like this usually. I do not fall asleep at the park. If you're in need of something to put the kids in front of for a few minutes and take a nap, this is your show. Other than that, don't waste your time.

  2. #2

    •   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Planet Selectro, in the Andromeda galaxy
    Posts
    2,039

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Blame the concepts of "One Disney" and "Disney Synergy". One division of Maus Haus is always supposed to support and promote the others, even if what is being promoted is banal and a prime example of Disney mediocrity.

  3. #3

    • Inappropriate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,429

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Why are the Muppets being punished??

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  4. #4

    • Still Dizzy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    533

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    I hate when people think that there opinions should be the opinion of everyone. You admit upgront that you aren't the target audience but still decide that everyone should avoid it unless they need a nap?

    I personally thoroughly enjoyed it. 20 minutes is not a long time. I thought prep and landing was adorable and very appropriate for the season. I laughed and the audience laughed along as well. There was a 4D effect or two, they used spotlights in the theater during a portion of the movie where they were using a flashlight is the main one I remember (I went in early December). I'll grant the effects weren't that noticeable or really added much but all in all I enjoyed.

    I even bought the first prep & landing on amazon instant video to watch for xmas eve.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Meh. I bought the blu ray with both specials. We enjoy them as a family. It's our new holiday tradition. Cheers.

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,666

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I hate when people think that there opinions should be the opinion of everyone. You admit upgront that you aren't the target audience but still decide that everyone should avoid it unless they need a nap?
    We enjoyed it also. Even saw it twice.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    West Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    19

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    So I finally got around to seeing this "4D" show in DCA's Muppet theatre and geez, did I think it was just awful. Granted I'm not the target audience, but still this was not entertaining in the least. For starters, the show is in a space that traditionally shows previews for films, so I thought I was seeing another one, not a complete film. As this is a ABC Family TV special, I was expecting to be in there 10-15 minutes for a preview, not 20 to see the whole thing. I may not have minded if I understood that this wasn't another preview, or if it had been good. Either one. My basic problem with the show was that it's simply not funny. It feels like a boring Saturday morning cartoon, not something that should be hosting park guests. it's just tedious and generic and the audience I was with didn't seem to like it much more than I did. Not a laugh to be heard the entire show. Lastly, there's the false "4D" advertising. Other than the unnecessary glasses, which in usual lazy Disney 3D fashion only put the screen in perspective, not 3D, there are no in-theatre effects like there were in Tron, Frankenweinie, or even during Muppets. The entire marketing scheme for this is a failure. The show is boring, no one knows who these characters are (as I said above, it's a holiday special from ABC family, they're still trying to turn into a franchise), and there's nothing about it that's 3D, let alone 4. Both me and the person I was with were fighting hard to stay awake, and I enjoy shows like this usually. I do not fall asleep at the park. If you're in need of something to put the kids in front of for a few minutes and take a nap, this is your show. Other than that, don't waste your time.
    I love the two Prep and Landing shows. And seeing it on a big screen in 3D was great. My kids and every other kid I've known who's seen these shows, love them. So I'd say Disney made they right move by showing them at the Muppet Theater over the Holiday.

    You sound like a grumpy old man, lol.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I hate when people think that there opinions should be the opinion of everyone. You admit upgront that you aren't the target audience but still decide that everyone should avoid it unless they need a nap?

    I personally thoroughly enjoyed it. 20 minutes is not a long time. I thought prep and landing was adorable and very appropriate for the season. I laughed and the audience laughed along as well. There was a 4D effect or two, they used spotlights in the theater during a portion of the movie where they were using a flashlight is the main one I remember (I went in early December). I'll grant the effects weren't that noticeable or really added much but all in all I enjoyed.

    I even bought the first prep & landing on amazon instant video to watch for xmas eve.
    I didn't say my opinion had to be the opinion of everyone. We're allowed to post reviews and I did.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Bring back the Muppets.

  10. #10

    • Still Dizzy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    533

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I didn't say my opinion had to be the opinion of everyone. We're allowed to post reviews and I did.
    A review is one thing, even a negative review, but a lot of the working in your review made it feel like your opinion should be all encompassing to everyone who goes. I always try hard to not speak in absolutes.

    Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    So I finally got around to seeing this "4D" show in DCA's Muppet theatre and geez, did I think it was just awful. Granted I'm not the target audience, but still this was not entertaining in the least. For starters, the show is in a space that traditionally shows previews for films, so I thought I was seeing another one, not a complete film. As this is a ABC Family TV special, I was expecting to be in there 10-15 minutes for a preview, not 20 to see the whole thing. I may not have minded if I understood that this wasn't another preview, or if it had been good. Either one. My basic problem with the show was that it's simply not funny. It feels like a boring Saturday morning cartoon, not something that should be hosting park guests. it's just tedious and generic and the audience I was with didn't seem to like it much more than I did. Not a laugh to be heard the entire show. Lastly, there's the false "4D" advertising. Other than the unnecessary glasses, which in usual lazy Disney 3D fashion only put the screen in perspective, not 3D, there are no in-theatre effects like there were in Tron, Frankenweinie, or even during Muppets. The entire marketing scheme for this is a failure. The show is boring, no one knows who these characters are (as I said above, it's a holiday special from ABC family, they're still trying to turn into a franchise), and there's nothing about it that's 3D, let alone 4. Both me and the person I was with were fighting hard to stay awake, and I enjoy shows like this usually. I do not fall asleep at the park. If you're in need of something to put the kids in front of for a few minutes and take a nap, this is your show. Other than that, don't waste your time.

  11. #11

    •   
    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    752

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Thanks for the review Maul. I haven't seen it but have respected your opinions in the past. If anyone is in a theater where there isn't a single laugh ( and this is supposed to be a comedy ), then something is very wrong. It's not just you with that opinion. A truly funny movie gets a reaction that is obvious and apparent, not an occasional snicker here or there from the few easily amused people in the audience.

  12. #12

    •   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chino Hills , CA
    Posts
    455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    I liked it
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    A review is one thing, even a negative review, but a lot of the working in your review made it feel like your opinion should be all encompassing to everyone who goes. I always try hard to not speak in absolutes.
    [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    And I stand by what I said. I'm a big believer in speaking in absolutes. If you believe you're correct, state it as such. :/

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    FWIW, I understood this post to be a review and to be taken with a grain of salt...

    That being said, I'm disappointed that it's not actually in "4-D" like it claims. I was going to see it last time I went, but I didn't have time. I am curious, though, what the difference is between perspective and 3-D?

  15. #15

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,602

    Re: Prep and Landing 4D: Don't waste your time

    This review has made me decide that the next time I'm in DCA...I will make a beeline for this show just to create my own opinions. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney's 'Prep and Landing' gifted with 4 Emmys
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 01:46 AM
  2. Disney's Prep and Landing -Dec 8-
    By Barbossa in forum Disney Media Networks and TV Industry Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM
  3. Prep and Landing!
    By dmtnt55 in forum Disney Media Networks and TV Industry Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
  5. First Prep and Landing Artwork
    By BuzzedLightyear in forum Disney Media Networks and TV Industry Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •