Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Your ideas for a Paradise Pier redo?

I was just looking at the "Condor Flats/Entrance" re-do thread and everyone agreed that the bigger/more challenging one was Paradise Pier and Route 66.

So.... What's your ideas for Paradise Pier and Route 66?

• Self Congratulative

Re: Your ideas for a Paradise Pier redo?

I think paradise peir shoud encompass a more nostalgic victorian-era feel. Kind of a western expansion theme.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    I think paradise peir shoud encompass a more nostalgic victorian-era feel. Kind of a western expansion theme.
    Agreed. Its not that difficult to retheme like basic elements on the pier to get there.

*Replacing all vertical bars and railing the the white cross hatch lattus material (made of metal not wood for longevity) then adding skilled edges to the corners. Think of the same type of white gingerbread look we have at Carnation Cafe applied to the better part of the Pier.

*After removing the lame kiddie underwater area and Zepher, add access to the beach area without allowing guests to get in the water. Station cabanas and changing tents for atmospher, tuck perment surfboards into the sand- like a picture of an old Frankie and Annete surf movie ala the 1950's and 60's. Maybe pay a little homage to Elvis?!

*Daily juggling act (personal prefrense)

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    That kinda makes me think of Tony Baxter's old Discovery Bay:

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/discoverybay/

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by America Stings
    That kinda makes me think of Tony Baxter's old Discovery Bay:

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/discoverybay/
    Wow good thought, you took it a little further back then I was thinking but wow can you imagine if they could apply this theme to Southeast corner of the Pier as a transition into the Wharf?

• What have I done?

I think the toughest issue for DCA is when you enter what time frame are we entering as a guests, so to say Victorian or whatever may offset any kind of theming I believe its supposed to be early 20's right? Anyone know? Then Route 66' is supposedly the 50's? I dunno... Route 66' should seem more like a highway with a few classic cars for some photo ops? Then towards Pizza Ooh Mow Mow get rid of the atrocious S.S. Rust Worthy! Replce it with a beach! Sand... sand castels... fire pit (lights up at night!) and beach chairs go all out!

"This guy!"

• Self Congratulative

They can adjust time issues just as well as they do it in the MK. The whole issue that needs to be addressed first is the entrance.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I posted a bit of this elsewhere but I feel like just going into it again.

I feel paradise Pier as it currently stands is too real of a boardwalk experience. The problem with a boardwalk is that as real as you get it just never really takes you anywhere. Therefore I feel the best solution is to add an OVERLY recognizable story to the land.

Paradise Pier should no longer be explained as simply a piece of California. The land should take the approach the Tomorrowland Transit Authority gives Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland, a seperate entity. Paradise Pier is no longer a look back at the old boardwalks of California but instantly the fictional Coney Island of the West, just not Coney Island of today *blech*.

Paradise Pier should reside in a perpetual rebirth. The area should be some sort of a Neo-Victorian. True Victorian style mixed with new building technologies and styles (frankly I feel Disney over does the whole Victorian thing a bit). I can't 100% describe what I mean because I'm not really sure how it would play out either.

Almost every attraction or building, with the exception of some very close ones, should be given distinct histories. Historical markers should be placed around the area telling of these stories from the past. each attractions hould be portrayed as innovative an unique. Queue lines and eateries can be filled with old posters and flyers, photographs of family fun throughout the decades, and most importantly new posters and flyers to strengthen the theme of rebirth.

Paradise Pier is no longer just a boardwalk. It is now a story of glory and decay only to come back to be the shining light once again. There becomes a sense of continued optimism because despite what may have happened or can happen things can and will always get better.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    *After removing the lame kiddie underwater area and Zepher, add access to the beach area without allowing guests to get in the water. Station cabanas and changing tents for atmospher, tuck perment surfboards into the sand- like a picture of an old Frankie and Annete surf movie ala the 1950's and 60's. Maybe pay a little homage to Elvis?!

*Daily juggling act (personal prefrense)
    Nice we are on the same page here! Next stop Imagineering!
    Wow the Tony Baxter idea of Discovery Bay would be sweet... I mean why not?

"This guy!"

• Minion

Walt would have never had they those carnival games. Like the beach blanket bingo idea.
    Jason

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    Sand... sand castels... fire pit (lights up at night!) and beach chairs go all out!
    Oh yes add this, I like this! Firepits and maybe summertime twilight concerts with beach type music! Hell yes. For nay sayers against the firepits I say bring on the lawsuits, it will be worth it!

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    I posted a bit of this elsewhere but I feel like just going into it again.

I feel paradise Pier as it currently stands is too real of a boardwalk experience. The problem with a boardwalk is that as real as you get it just never really takes you anywhere. Therefore I feel the best solution is to add an OVERLY recognizable story to the land.

Paradise Pier should no longer be explained as simply a piece of California. The land should take the approach the Tomorrowland Transit Authority gives Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland, a seperate entity. Paradise Pier is no longer a look back at the old boardwalks of California but instantly the fictional Coney Island of the West, just not Coney Island of today *blech*.

Paradise Pier should reside in a perpetual rebirth. The area should be some sort of a Neo-Victorian. True Victorian style mixed with new building technologies and styles (frankly I feel Disney over does the whole Victorian thing a bit). I can't 100% describe what I mean because I'm not really sure how it would play out either.

Almost every attraction or building, with the exception of some very close ones, should be given distinct histories. Historical markers should be placed around the area telling of these stories from the past. each attractions hould be portrayed as innovative an unique. Queue lines and eateries can be filled with old posters and flyers, photographs of family fun throughout the decades, and most importantly new posters and flyers to strengthen the theme of rebirth.

Paradise Pier is no longer just a boardwalk. It is now a story of glory and decay only to come back to be the shining light once again. There becomes a sense of continued optimism because despite what may have happened or can happen things can and will always get better.
    Excellent post, exactly things need to be more defined and detailed and it will work flawlessly!

"This guy!"

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O

Oh this is good, advertise for Houdini and the Wright Bros. Vaudeville type acts and what not. Promote the nostalgoic other half of the LA image/Hollywood beach fun town idea...well said!

• Launch sequence engaged

A Vaudeville act would be great to have in the Paradise Pier. To me the Paradise Pier of DCA reminds me of the Boardwalk area of Knotts Berry Farm. That is, a concrete jungle with a few rides, restaurants, and games thrown in without really caring about the theme.

What Paradise Pier needs is culture, which is why as soon as I heard Vaudeville, I knew that would be a great idea. Everyone who posted before me talked about having to establish more history, and a show is definitely a great start.

That stretch of Paradise Pier which starts with the Boardwalks games and ends in Malibu-Ritos is a waste of space. While it is narrow, I wonder how hard it would be to get an indoor stage for Houdiniesque/Vaudevillian Acts?

Furthermore, subtle changes such as the lattice fence and a beach area will help solidify the area. Also, the Terrible Trio of Jumpin' Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, and the Orange Stinger (that elevator is the most annoying structure) must go. Does DCA have to have three central-axis, spinning rides?

There are many changes to be done, and while it's not practical to bulldoze the entire Pier, the use of a bulldozer is highly recommended for a hopefully not-so distant surgery of DCA's tumor.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• șoș Tom șoș

Been trying to put my finger on my frustration of Paradise Pier for a long time. I love the place but something never settled right with me. Its the entrance.

Look at the lights, style and lattice! Its perfect, very nostolgic! Its just in the wrong spot! It needs to be places where the Orange is. It feels like the natural flow to wanna walk to that end of the Pier to start your experiance.

Move this entrance, including Ariels to the Route 66 location and reclaim all this lagoon fron property for an expansion of the Wharf theme!

Seriously drop the height of the pier by Ariels and knock out the dead Chinesse food place and open that whole sucker wide open!

Now all the kinetic elements feel right.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast