10 16.13%
  • No! Terrible idea

38 61.29%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Doctor Who

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It was a couple of months ago, actually. The question wasn’t when Disney acquired them. The question was, “how are they more Disney?”. There were people criticizing Disney for putting products that were only licensed into the parks. There are not licensed anymore. They are now owned and part of the Disney family. That makes them more Disney than Dr. Who.
    You're missing my point. What I'm saying is there was a time when Star Wars and Indiana Jones were NOT part of Disney but they were still in the Disney parks. Star Tours opened around '87 and Indiana Jones opened in '95. That's ~26 years of Star Wars and ~18 years of Indy presence in the parks before they were officially part of the Disney family last year. So during those 18/26 years, they were as much Disney as Doctor Who is now. What we're saying is, Disney has shown in the past that they have no problem adding franchises that has nothing to do with the Disney name in their parks, and therefore the argument that Doctor Who does not belong in a Disney park just because it is not owned by Disney does not hold much ground.

I absolutely love Doctor Who! (And Disney) But combining them into one might be difficult since Doctor Who is not always child-friendly. If I do must say, Matt Smith running around Disney Resort Parks would definitely make my day!

• formerly very helpful

I will add that while Disney has used properties that it didn't own, they generally seemed to be much more mainstream, and part of the public consciousness, such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones (I'm talking all those years when they didn't own them.)
    As much as I really do like Dr. Who, I just don't think enough people are familiar with it to generate any real excitement or connection.

• Ewok

I think plenty of people know about Dr. Who. When I was in high school (about 3 years ago) 87% of people in my high school watched Dr. Who and I was in public school in WA state. Dr. Who is certainly well known enough to generate a huge crowd at Disneyland.

In my public HS in California, I was the only one watching Torchwood and one of only a few to watch Doctor Who. In my large university, I'm still part of a minority of Whovians. I love the series, but I don't see it working in Disneyland because it isn't a major force here in the US.

If a British property were to be acquired by Disney, it'd undoubtedly be smarter to go with Downton Abbey, which has really permeated American culture in the last two years more than Doctor Who has in the last 50 (unfortunately. They are not comparable shows, but I feel like DA has more cultural significance ATM than DW).
    Victoria

Much as I LOVE Doctor Who, some things just don't mix well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Agreed to the end. As stated before, I am a big fan of Doctor Who, but some things just don't go together. Like hot dogs and mayonnaise, blizzards and ice cream, pillow forts and plaster of paris, etc.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I agree...no matter how much I want it, I can't think of a way to mesh it all together well.
    For the love of Disney....

• Coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Disney owns those. Therefore they are Disney properties. Disney does it own Dr. Who. Therefore it is not Disney.
    Yes, but for every Disney purchase to be made they must have seen something in it (cough money cough). Things can seem Disney-like without actually being owned by Disney, and I'd argue despite not having been purchased by Disney, it still holds key family entertainment value that is akin to the tales Disney chooses to tell through much of their material.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234