Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Circle of Ancients

Re: California Supreme Court and Amusement Parks - LA Times article

This is awesome news!!! I don't think it's going to change anything at Disney, but it will certainly help some smaller parks.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually there have been claims from workers that it was a little nerve racking walking that vine with no railing, especially if it was wet.
    Workers who built the empire state building I think have merrit to their complaints about "nerve racking". Vine walkers, not in my book.

• Just drawn that way

This sounds good to me!
    I have been bumped on Autopia and had a bad concussion I lost time, Disney treated me. Never dreamed to sue because I knew getting on it, that could happen.

Hurray for the theme parks!
    Little and broken, but still good.

I couldn't agree more with this.

• former CM

Thanks, Asterix!

In about 90 minutes I'll teach a class about torts, and I'll read from this article and from David Koenig's excellent book, Mouse Tales, which includes chapters about deaths at and lawsuits against Disneyland from 1955 through 1994.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    OSHA isn't to blame for the way the vine looks now. Lack of creativity at Disney is to blame.
    I'll actually have to agree with you on that one. If those leaves were slippery then why not find ( or make ) color-matched skateboard tape or some kind of bathtub slip-grip strips? It wouldn't detract from the leaf at all if the surface remained mostly the same colors and patterns but was made out of slip-resistant materials. ...but railings? Yeah, that was weird.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Workers who built the empire state building I think have merrit to their complaints about "nerve racking". Vine walkers, not in my book.

Until one walks in the shoes of the workers who are actually out on that vine, they have no right to judge what may or may not be nerve racking from their perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I'll actually have to agree with you on that one. If those leaves were slippery then why not find ( or make ) color-matched skateboard tape or some kind of bathtub slip-grip strips? It wouldn't detract from the leaf at all if the surface remained mostly the same colors and patterns but was made out of slip-resistant materials. ...but railings? Yeah, that was weird.
    Even retractable railings would be fine. That way they would only have to put them up when workers are walking the track or if an evac from the vine was necessary.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   

Ha! Retractable railings! Better yet!

And yeah, nerve racking can be at 1000 feet or 10 feet. Falls from short drops have been just as fatal as falls from long ones.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Given the a fear of heights is one of the most common phobias among people today, I can see that workers could get nervous.

My job requires using scissor lifts, and being anywhere from 10-40' in the air on these for 8hrs + a day. One of the first things we do is have someone get on a lift and we take em up. I would say about 80% of the people freak out at 10' or so, and we take them back down.

Being safe in a vehicle at 10' is one thing, walking on a platform with no rails or in a car is another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12