• Parking Lot > DCA

Strange Announcement On Main Street Last Night..

Last night I decided to venture into the park with a few friends for a couple of hours. We decided to leave around 11:30 or so and made our way from Adventureland to Main Street and out of the park. As we were walking past City Hall a strange announcement came over the speakers.

First off, in all my years of frequenting the park, I've never heard an announcement before. Neither had a CM friend of mine that has worked after hours. That was the first shock. It literally stopped us in our tracks. Second was the message. It wasn't really the actual message that was weird as much as it was the voice and the noise behind it. The music went quiet and the message said: "Attention. Emily (insert last name here, I don't remember it) please call the Disneyland Operator. Emily (last name) please call the Disneyland Operator."

Now again, the message isn't weird, other than the fact that it was oddly specific. The voice was a woman's, but it almost sounded automated. There was a gentle hum behind her voice that added another creepy element to the calm half-robot woman's voice as well. It only lasted about 20 seconds or so too, then the music was brought back up and normal operations resumed. We weren't the only ones that stopped to listen to this, it was the reaction that you would expect an air raid siren to produce at first by the way our attention was grabbed. Weird, nonetheless.

Has anyone else heard anything like this? It could be nothing at all, but then again I have never heard an announcement over the PA at the park, let alone so specific, which makes me think it could have meant something? Insight is appreciated!

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Strange Announcement On Main Street Last Night..

I have heard announcements like that a few times, though not recently. The voice you are describing sounds like the voice I heard, as well.

• Still lost in Neverland

It is usually an emergency type of call. Someone who is probably a parent or family member knows that Emily is at Disneyland. Some sort of Emergency has happened and they call Disneyland and tell them what the emergency is and that Emily needs to call the Disneyland Operator. There used to be white phones throughout Disneyland and the message used to say please use the White Phones and call the Disneyland Operator. Haven't heard the message in ages but it's good to know that in an emergency at home your family can get in touch with you at Disneyland and I am sure the same thing is true for DCA as well. With cell phones so prevalent I guess the white land line phones are no longer needed.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Senior Minion

In the days before cell phones, you'd hear the Disneyland Operator paging people by name every so often. It was reserved for family emergency-type situations, IIRC.

EDIT: Oops, Lost Boy beat me to it!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Has anyone else heard anything like this? It could be nothing at all, but then again I have never heard an announcement over the PA at the park, let alone so specific, which makes me think it could have meant something? Insight is appreciated!
    Generally, they only do these for emergency situations or where there's a child/teenager theft situation (gets caught shoplifting, they PA for parent). I'm sure the hum you were hearing was just the general feedback of the phone handset that it was being announced into. These type of announcements were a little more common 6-7 years ago, but they've tightened up what they can use the general PA for.
    -Monorail Man

• Parking Lot > DCA

Wow thanks everyone! I figured it was for some sort of emergency-type situation or something. Seems it's pretty unanimous, it was just strange to hear it for the first time I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    I'm sure the hum you were hearing was just the general feedback of the phone handset that it was being announced into.
    That is exactly what it was. It just made the whole situation a little creepier.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Generally, they only do these for emergency situations or where there's a child/teenager theft situation (gets caught shoplifting, they PA for parent).
    Ick...I hope I never get THAT page. I would be mortified and angry all at the same time!

• Earth Intruder

We used to Rocky Horror-ize those announcements:

Voice: "Emily Smith, can you please call the Disneyland Operator on line two?"
    Us: "Your child is a thief!"
    Voice: "I repeat, can Emily Smith please call the Disneyland Operator on line two?"
    Us: "I repeat, your child is still a thief!"
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    We used to Rocky Horror-ize those announcements:

Voice: "Emily Smith, can you please call the Disneyland Operator on line two?"
    Us: "Your child is a thief!"
    Voice: "I repeat, can Emily Smith please call the Disneyland Operator on line two?"
    Us: "I repeat, your child is still a thief!"
    but still just a little for Emily Smith...