Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Disney begins $4 million Big Thunder overhaul

They're adding a loop. They're just hiding the truth. Disney is adding a loop to Big Thunder. Okay, others have said they're adding a loop to Indy and Matterhorn when they went down, but hey, third time's the charm.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Banned User

$4 million isn't much when you consider that they'll be paying for 9 months of full-time construction plus a new track, plus a massive paint job. I would expect the paint itself to cost tens of thousands of dollars. My guesstimate:

1. Paint job: $500,000 to $1 million. We're not talking about a Home Depot paint job. WDI has been studying Bryce canyon and is basically doing a gigantic mural in high-tech paints (ceramic?) which will last a while.
    2. New Track. $2 million for fabrication, at least, plus maybe $200,00 for installation and testing.
    3. $500,000 to $700,000 for a widened queue, conservatively.

That is as much as $3.7 to $4.1 million right there!

Maybe they'll squeeze in $100,000 for upgraded effects. Plus they'll put in at least the infrastructure for the interactive queue, if not the whole thing.

• World of Color

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    They're adding a loop. They're just hiding the truth. Disney is adding a loop to Big Thunder. Okay, others have said they're adding a loop to Indy and Matterhorn when they went down, but hey, third time's the charm.
    What is a loop ive been seeing that a lot and I was just wondering what it is

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by WoC 95 View Post
    You had to be there....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

12 months to build a theme park, 10 months for an attraction refurb. So weird. I must really not understand construction.

• And Dad was my hero.

I think renovations are more complicated than building from scratch but I could be wrong. BTMRR is my husbands favorite ride so I am excited to see what they come up with, even though I don't personally see that one as run down. But maybe that because as earlier stated, run down is kinda the look they are going for.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WoC 95 View Post
    What is a loop?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    If they add an animatronic Woody
    Heh, my warped mind, I pictured an animatronic Woody ALLEN.

• Foolish Mortal

Looking forward to the see the final product.

BTW, has anyone seen any renderings or pictures of what the track looks like without all of the mountain scenery? I've tried poking around the net but have t come up with anything.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    Looking forward to the see the final product.

BTW, has anyone seen any renderings or pictures of what the track looks like without all of the mountain scenery? I've tried poking around the net but have t come up with anything.
    Try here:

Disney Park Blueprints: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad DL

Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    I think renovations are more complicated than building from scratch but I could be wrong.
    No, you are exactly right. Ask a contractor if it is easier to completely renovate a house or build a house from scratch.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    12 months to build a theme park, 10 months for an attraction refurb. So weird. I must really not understand construction.
    Speaking as a person who has worked heavy construction for the past 38 years, there is a HUGE difference between how long it took to build something in 1955 vs. how long it takes today.

1) OSHA didn't exist back then. Safety was an attitude, not a bunch of idiotic rules. Plus, hard hats and other safety stuff was used specific to the job at hand, not a mandatory requirement. All PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) makes the worker less comfortable and more tired, thus less production. Very little of it contributes to actual safety.

2) Building codes were FAR more reasonable back then. These days a considerable amount of time and money is spent on satisfying codes that have no basis in reality. Like roughly 30% of the project.

3) Construction jobs back then were run on the principal of having individual guys do the type of work they were good at. These days, it's more like 'hurry up and get this done, I don't care if you don't know how to do it, just get it done'. Very few things were done more than once back then. Not so these days.

4) Architects and engineers back then knew exactly how the project would be built, step by step. Mainly because most of them had actual hands-on experience. These days, most architects and engineers are not much more than educated idiots. They don't know which end of the hammer goes on the nail. So their designs are way harder (and more costly) to build.

5) An hours work for an average construction worker in 1955 would buy roughly the same amount of goods as it will today; wages haven't gone up much, but taxes and other expenses to a company have gone into the stratosphere, thus making the job more expensive.

Realistically, $4 million isn't all that much money to refurb something like Thunder Mountain. I think chesirecats estimates above are pretty close.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    I think renovations are more complicated than building from scratch but I could be wrong.
    True in almost every instance.

Sometimes a LOT more expensive.

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    No, you are exactly right. Ask a contractor if it is easier to completely renovate a house or build a house from scratch.
    Thanks but I do have to admit perhaps I was being a bit coy in adding "I could be wrong" since I know from first hand experience it is quite a bit more challenging and expensive for contractors to work around what it already there.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Getting around the park is going to be aweful! No Big Thunder Trail or cut through from what was the Plaza Gardens to Frontierland?

Hope you like pushing through Adventureland!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast