Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Disney begins $4 million Big Thunder overhaul

$4mil actually sounds just right for what they're doing. It costs much more than you'd think.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Speaking as a person who has worked heavy construction for the past 38 years, there is a HUGE difference between how long it took to build something in 1955 vs. how long it takes today.

1) OSHA didn't exist back then. Safety was an attitude, not a bunch of idiotic rules. Plus, hard hats and other safety stuff was used specific to the job at hand, not a mandatory requirement. All PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) makes the worker less comfortable and more tired, thus less production. Very little of it contributes to actual safety.

2) Building codes were FAR more reasonable back then. These days a considerable amount of time and money is spent on satisfying codes that have no basis in reality. Like roughly 30% of the project.

3) Construction jobs back then were run on the principal of having individual guys do the type of work they were good at. These days, it's more like 'hurry up and get this done, I don't care if you don't know how to do it, just get it done'. Very few things were done more than once back then. Not so these days.

4) Architects and engineers back then knew exactly how the project would be built, step by step. Mainly because most of them had actual hands-on experience. These days, most architects and engineers are not much more than educated idiots. They don't know which end of the hammer goes on the nail. So their designs are way harder (and more costly) to build.
    Thanks for the input. I always thought technological advancements in tools, methods and materials would have helped speed things up. I guess its true for construction like it for instruments and many other things. They don't build em like they used to (better).

Increase costs, that I understood.

I'm disappointed that Big Thunder will be closed during the summer, but I'm hopeful the overhaul will be worth it.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    12 months to build a theme park, 10 months for an attraction refurb. So weird. I must really not understand construction.
    New laws. regulation, overtime and I'm sure some people did not receive the amount of money they should have for the hours they worked....

Anyway on to the topic...I'm glad to hear they are putting money and effect into the ride....lets just hope the ride does not suffer comfort wise like the matterhorn did

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    3) Construction jobs back then were run on the principal of having individual guys do the type of work they were good at. These days, it's more like 'hurry up and get this done, I don't care if you don't know how to do it, just get it done'. Very few things were done more than once back then. Not so these days.

4) Architects and engineers back then knew exactly how the project would be built, step by step. Mainly because most of them had actual hands-on experience. These days, most architects and engineers are not much more than educated idiots. They don't know which end of the hammer goes on the nail. So their designs are way harder (and more costly) to build.
    Not only is that hitting the nail smack on the head (no pun intended), it sounds like a replay of the Great Monorail Debacle!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

$4 million seems low to me. I was thinking $10 -$15 million considering the length of downtime. How long was Big Thunder closed for in late 2003 /early 2004?

• Minion

ok, why does building rides in CA cost so much and time consuming?

It costs $100 million to build the little Mermaid ride in CA and took nearly forever. but at WDW they spend less time building that ride with a VERY detailed queue and show building.
    same for the fireworks at WDW, it's cheaper but their fireworks are a lot bigger than ours!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    $4 million seems low to me.
    Even lower when you consider how much of any Disneyland project budget goes to supporting the humongous overhead of the Disney corporate bureaucracy. As with movie budgets, only a fraction of the dollar amount ends up "on the screen."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

from what i was reading before the new ride vehicals sound like they will have a better restraint system and more resemble the ones on expedion everest in florida , those are for sure going to cost more.
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    Looking forward to the see the final product.

BTW, has anyone seen any renderings or pictures of what the track looks like without all of the mountain scenery? I've tried poking around the net but have t come up with anything.
    This doesn't show the exact track layout, but the next time you visit Disneyland, there's a great model of Big Thunder Mountain in the lobby area of one of the towers of the Disneyland Hotel. I'm guessing it was made by Walt Disney Imagineering in preparation for construction of the ride/mountain in the late 70s.
    Name:  btmrr model 2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  190.2 KB

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Improved lighting and sound also will be added,
    Maybe they will finally play Crazy Train as the sound track for the ride.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I wish they would extend the ride to the existing mine train tunnels and near Rivers of America area. The ride really needs that wow finale like the other Thunder Mountains. Disneyland is the only coaster I have been on where the end (after the earthquake scene) is very peaceful and less thrilling than the rest of the ride. For example, Space Mountain has the sharp left into an explosion stop, Matterhorn has final meeting with a Yeti into an actual splashdown break pond, Screamin has the helix, and even Goofy has the steep drops into a sharp turn.

The pacing is really bad to me

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I wish they would extend it to.

Since this will be the second Next Gen queue is there any chance it'll become fully accessible? Seems like all they'd need would be an elevator. The rest of the BTMR quest is pretty wide.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    $4 million seems low to me. I was thinking $10 -$15 million considering the length of downtime. How long was Big Thunder closed for in late 2003 /early 2004?
    It closed in September 2003 and reopened either in March or April 2004, so that's about six or seven months, which is just three or four months less than this rehab. And that was not even entirely scheduled like this one is, either.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast