Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disney begins $4 million Big Thunder overhaul

Does anyone know if they're going to fix/upgrade the cave-in effects in the last tunnel? (Like having something other than just the projection working).
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

I would hope so. I'm wondering if they will open and close those barn-like doors too at the end of that scene (did they EVER open and close???).

With a major E-ticket down during the busy spring and summer months, it's no wonder they were quick to construct the crowd eating PFF mini land and new Mickey show. Hopefully that will keep enough people who would have been riding BTTMR busy and off paths.

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfilmboy View Post
    I would hope so. I'm wondering if they will open and close those barn-like doors too at the end of that scene (did they EVER open and close???).
    I wonder if they will put doors up there too. At WDW some people who swear they have inside knowlege said it would happen, but it didn't.

• Banned User

When I read this article posted by the OP, my gut reaction was that $4mill wasn't enough. And now that Knott's is refurbing the log ride for $3.5mill this year in 4.5 months, I am even more sure that $4mill is the wrong dollar amount for BTMRR.

I have no inside knowledge, so I cannot say for sure 100%, but I do agree with several posters in this thread that the number seems too low. All major coaster manufacturing costs for new coasters well exceed $4mill. Add in theme, rebuilt stations, and a massive paint/enamel job and I see it much higher.

FNSV, didn't that cost $150mill? I understand that it was a bigger project, but based on what I do know, I would guess that $20-40mill is closer to what Disney is going to ultimately spend for this refurb on BTMRR. I'd like to know what document was filed (based on wording in the article). $4mill could be only part of the price tag; I have a feeling it was read wrong by the writer of the article and/or they do not know what they are looking for and/or they only saw part of the total projects for this 10 month refurb and/or their source at the records dept made a typo!!!!

I am also stumped by so many reactions here on MC that are in shock of the dollar amount (ppl thinking $4mill is too high??? what???).

Re: someone's comment on the slow loader station
    That isn't needed when you have a dual station. Slow loaders will be always directed to one side. It isn't very likely that they will add this element as seen on Space Mt. Not to mention the diff's in train sizes.

• Banned User

$4 million for a 9 month project in comparison to Knott's $3.5 million 5 month project. Either Disney is more efficient or Knott's is overpaying.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Either Disney is more efficient or Knott's is overpaying.
    Disney being efficient with ride money... said by no one.. ever
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

So should we start taking bets on how fast it takes the 4 million to turn in to 5 or 6 or beyond?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Under that tree again!

JMazz is likely right that $4M was either misprinted or only represents a part of the project.

With little data to go off, the crane that is currently there is not cheap. The use of it to remove and put in track, will end up consuming most of and possibly more than $4M.

• UnExiled Minion

Well, it's not a public government project. Disney can make better contracts and force contractors to make good. Might even be some incentives in the contracts to finish sooner.
    And, as this has been in the works for some time, a lot of the advanced planning could be focused on getting it done on time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Well, it's not a public government project. Disney can make better contracts and force contractors to make good. Might even be some incentives in the contracts to finish sooner.
    And, as this has been in the works for some time, a lot of the advanced planning could be focused on getting it done on time.
    I have a relative who worked for an honest, large building painting contractor who painted the inside of one or two of the WDW resorts (Polynesian, and I think the Contemporary) in the 80's or 90's, and Disney treated them so badly in different ways, it cost him to go out of business. Until then, it was very successful (and they had their own $1M airplane).

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    Does anyone know if they're going to fix/upgrade the cave-in effects in the last tunnel? (Like having something other than just the projection working).
    I dont think those effects are broken, they were just turned off in all BTM style rides when the issue happened in DLP
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Banned User

Are they adding the next gen queue that Florida is getting complete with giant portrait of Tony Baxter?

Disney has set aside $4mill for the project, but I can see them spending double that without batting an eye once they get into refurbing it. even up to $10mill when all said and done. Pocket change to the Disney corporation. What they announced and what they will end up doing will be 2 different things, I can promise you that. They don't always announce or tell you everything before they do their projects.

• Back in Black

In regards to Disney adding parts of the television show to the ride... I wouldn't count on that. Theres no guarantee that the show will be a success at all. Even something that seems as much of a sure thing as Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. has to go to Pilot before it gets approved for additional episodes, and most shows fail within their first year anyway.

With that in mind, anything they add to the ride "from the show" may not even be relevant in two years time. Why spend the money on it? How long did it take for Jack Sparrow to show up on PotC? Four, five years?
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

Taking 10 months for a major refurb seems excessive. Wasn't the Matterhorn constructed in less time than that?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast