Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Disney begins $4 million Big Thunder overhaul

Disney begins $4 million Big Thunder overhaul

Disneyland’s fast-chugging attraction will close for at least nine months.

By SARAH TULLY / ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

ANAHEIM – Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will undergo its biggest project in more than three decades when the ride closes Monday for at least nine months.

The Frontierland ride, which mimics a runaway mine train through an Old West canyon, will close so crews can begin a makeover that will last until fall. A reopening date has yet to be announced.

The renovation will cost $4 million, according to documents filed with the city.

During construction, crews will replace tracks, install new ride vehicles and paint part of the mountain, which is designed to look like Utah's Bryce Canyon. Improved lighting and sound also will be added, said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman. Workers will build a larger unloading and loading area.

Disney has not released any details about possible changes to the show itself, but the track route will remain the same.

Some fans said they will miss the ride, but understand that it's time for a makeover.

"It's my favorite of the mountain rides," wrote Michelle Nakaji of Rialto. "And although the mountain itself looks great, all of the effects, animals, and etc. really need some updating to keep up, aesthetically, with the rest of the resort! Hope the 10-month downtime is well worth it."

Starting Monday, the Big Thunder trail that guests take to get from the ride area to Fantasyland will close for 11 days. Then the trail will be shut down most weekdays, except for holidays, through early April.

Visitors will see a large crane in the park between mid January and early April.

[MORE AT THE LINK]

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: Disney begins $4 million Big Thunder overhaul

Can't wait to see the finished product! However, I will not be getting my hopes up for a brand-new attraction. Judging by the results of the recent multi-month Indy rehab, we'll only be seeing improved effects, a different load area, and an improved ride experience. Oh, well. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Parking Lot > DCA

$4 million. Wow!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    $4 million. Wow!
    That's what I thought.

Now I'm not an expert on the pricing of renovating attractions but doesn't the amount of $4 million seem like they are going to do a wee bit more than replace tracks, install new vehicles, paint part of the mountain, improve lighting and add sound. Or maybe all that does take about $4 million?

I'm curious to see the result when it re-opens.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Can't wait to see the finished product! However, I will not be getting my hopes up for a brand-new attraction. Judging by the results of the recent multi-month Indy rehab, we'll only be seeing improved effects, a different load area, and an improved ride experience. Oh, well. Maybe I'm wrong.
    With all due respect, I hope you are wrong! I'm hoping for something to make me feel like the closure is worth it. Improved lighting and sound is nice, but for a ride that doesn't exactly depend on these elements, I can't say I'm terribly excited. The article makes it seem like a very technical refurbishment and not one of cosmetics besides repainting.

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    That's what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

Now I'm not an expert on the pricing of renovating attractions but doesn't the amount of $4 million seem like they are going to do a wee bit more than replace tracks, install new vehicles, paint part of the mountain, improve lighting and add sound. Or maybe all that does take about $4 million?

I'm curious to see the result when it re-opens.

$4 million doesn't seem like much to me, especially if it's including the cost of workers (I don't know anything about this kind of paperwork, so it might not). I imagine it'd cost a lot to widen load areas because everything seems quite compact in that area. Lighting elements can cost a lot if they're completely changing lighting systems and not just individual lights, the same with sound...but again, I don't know much about this sort of thing. I might be affected by the recent $1.2 billion figure!

• Disgruntled Former CM

Rumor hazzit that the town of Rainbow Ridge will be rebuilt, from the (aging) foundation(s) up, so it could have a nice new / old timey, spiffy bright & shiny / run down, drab & dusty appearance when done...
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• Minion

Four million dollars is a lot of money! Let's hope for something great!
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• The doctor is in

$4 million is quite the amount. Hopefully the final product is worth it.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    Rumor hazzit that the town of Rainbow Ridge will be rebuilt, from the (aging) foundation(s) up, so it could have a nice new / old timey, spiffy bright & shiny / run down, drab & dusty appearance when done...

$4 million on a roller coaster? New coaster projects at other parks are routinely in the $20-$30 million range and those are non-themed.

2 million of it is for the loop they are installing!!!

Ahh... tired jokes...

I think BTMRR is the best themed "mountain" ride...I'm excited for this.

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    Bahahahah!

• world class bilge rat

I'm looking forward to the refurb. I don't like roller coasters, but Thunder Mountain is great. It's wild enough to be exciting, but not so wild that I wonder why I went on it. Plus, the effects, all the way from the que to the very end are very well done.

As a sort of side note though, yes, $4 million does indeed sound like a ton of money, but it's also roughly Bob Igers monthly salary.

• formerly very helpful

If they add an animatronic Woody from Toy Story, I'll go ballistic!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast