Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Exiting Disneyland through backstage.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    If they don't want pictures of backstage areas, they shouldn't have guests backstage.
    Or on the Monorail, for that matter.

In some cases, it may not be practical or worthwhile to avoid it, though, such as when evacuating guests from attractions that get stuck. For instance, one time I got to walk by the old Westside Diner after being evacuated from Pirates. The CM who accompanied us didn't say anything about not taking pictures, although I didn't see anybody do that anyway (different times ). From what I've seen of the backstage areas, which is fairly considerable after all of these years, there isn't a whole lot to see from a guest's perspective--the main thing that stands out for me is the sharp contrast with on-stage areas. Obviously for hardcore fans (myself included), there is a curiosity factor, but when you've seen one backstage area (that guests are ever shunted through), you've pretty much seen them all.

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I first was able to run the backside of Main Street a few years back. In those days all the stuff that is currently behind canvas (the Jungle Cruise boats, the Main Street vehicles, the CMs rest rooms and break areas, their lockers, pay phones, service doors etc.) were still out in the open. There has been at least some attempt by Disney to stash some of that stuff out of eyesight.
    It seems now that they will be doing even more to address this specific case in the future, since overcrowding on Main Street has become more of a chronic issue, but I wouldn't expect much change in other areas because that would cost money that could go to the real guest areas (reminds me of the argument a few years back about having better-themed parking areas--uh, no ).

I always knew that taking pics of this area was tantamount to breaking a magician's secrets and have therefore never taken advantage of the grand old dame being seen in her skivvies.
    I think it's more about the industrial ugliness of the backstage areas than the possibility of revealing any secrets; they'll let you see it if they have to, but pictures that could show up on the Internet are worse. If not, then somebody in TDA is really paranoid because generally there is little to see. Disneyland hardly has any tricks that any engineering type couldn't figure out just from looking at it, anyway--for me (definitely an engineering type ), it's about art, design, and the overall experience of being in the park (none of which are mysteries, either, but harder to do well, at least from my perspective).

• Disney fan

Well, I'm a lifelong Disney fan from birth. I was born across the street from Disney, in the same hospital the same year Walt Disney died. I go there many times a year. I am a member of the DVC. I have had a few friends work there over the years. With that said, I've never been backstage and it seemed pretty cool, yet at the same time, I was wondering why I thought it was so cool. I didn't sneak back there, and yes, I was told no pictures. But, the days of keeping that under wraps like construction used to be at the park when I was a kid are long gone. We all know the "magic" is slight of hand and seeing less than magic construction or glimpses of back stage can't lessen the magic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
    Well, I'm a lifelong Disney fan from birth. I was born across the street from Disney, in the same hospital the same year Walt Disney died. I go there many times a year. I am a member of the DVC. I have had a few friends work there over the years. With that said, I've never been backstage and it seemed pretty cool,
    You've had a lot better luck than I've had with rides going belly-up, then--happens to me on a regular basis. I hope for your sake that the law of averages doesn't suddenly decide to make up for lost time!

yet at the same time, I was wondering why I thought it was so cool.
    Actually, it's still kind of cool for me, even if there isn't much to see--it's the thrill of seeing something you're not supposed to see or don't normally see, I guess. Curiously, with all of the rides I've gotten stuck on, there is one that breaks down all the time and many here have been stuck on, except for me: Indy. That's right, Indy has never broken down while I was riding it--it has broken down several times (at least 3-4) while I was practically at the front of the line, and at least twice right after I had exited, but never while I've been riding. I'm kind of envious that so many others have gotten to walk through parts of this ride, and kind of feel left out. Space Mountain, been stuck multiple times, Splash Mountain, ditto, along with many of the other E-ticket and smaller attractions (once I had to be evacuated from three attractions during a single visit, two of which were consecutive ), but never Indy and I ride that break-down machine every time I visit, which is frequently.

I didn't sneak back there, and yes, I was told no pictures. But, the days of keeping that under wraps like construction used to be at the park when I was a kid are long gone. We all know the "magic" is slight of hand and seeing less than magic construction or glimpses of back stage can't lessen the magic for me.
    Getting glimpses of the backstage area has never bugged me either because I like seeing the contrast, but curiously glimpses of the outside world from inside the parks do bother me. I'm not sure whether this is self-contradictory or not. I also miss the contrast between the outside world and Disneyland upon entering, before the whole resort complex was built.

• Closed Account

Been backstage many times and was never told not to take pictures.

So I did.

• -

If they don't want pictures of backstage areas, they shouldn't have guests backstage.
    This is like saying that if they don’t want flash pictures taken at the Getty, they shouldn’t allow cameras with flashes into the museum. If your host asks that you not do something in their house, the polite thing to do is to respect their wishes.

And the signatures are done ad nauseum on this site. When a signature area is 120% bigger than the related post above, there is something wrong with the forum signature rules.
    This I completely agree with. I hate reading one line of post and fifty lines of signature. Some signatures I find entertaining to read. I shouldn’t have to resort to shutting off signatures just because a few people won’t obey the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jbean View Post
    I don't see a problem filming or showing this. If they're going to allow guests backstage, they can't really expect guests not to take photos/ videos. I love seeing backstage areas.
    The problem is that they were asked not to. By continuing to do so it is breaking the rules and violating the wishes of one’s host.

In addition, the reason people were allowed back there was to ease the congestion on Main Street. By stopping to take photos it impedes the flow of traffic and adds to the congestion.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Been backstage many times and was never told not to take pictures.

So I did.
    There is nothing wrong with that. However, if one is asked not to and continues to do so there is a problem.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with that. However, if one is asked not to and continues to do so there is a problem.
    Totally agree.

I think it was summer of 2011 when I caught a congested Main Street and got herded back stage next to Jungle Cruise. I just followed people and glanced around, and afterwards I thought, "Cool." Had I had a camera with me, I doubt I would've taken any pictures because truthfully, there's nothing worth taking a picture of in my opinion. There's nothing magical backstage, and even if you're on a ride and have to walk through it, there's nothing magical. The "Disney Magic" comes from within you and the good memories that you have. Am I the type of person who's interested in how Fantasmic comes together and would love to see all the technical things? Absolutely, but it would to me only add to the "Magic" as you understand how these things work and the hard work that Cast Members put in to make it work on a daily basis.

The whole premise of Universal Studios is to get pictures backstage. Walt Disney consistently shared the backstage experience with television viewers. If the parks don't want us taking photos of backstage areas, they shouldn't allow guests back there. They should work harder to avoid allowing guests to see the man behind the curtain. They have recently put holes into fencing specifically for the purpose of sneak peeking construction and, back in the early days, observation decks were installed around the Anaheim property specifically to allow guests a vantage point for looking behind-the-scenes. Naturally, when a cast member asks, a guest would do right to obey out of respect for the employee and the park. There is a real inconsistency in the message. And there has been since 1955.
    ~ Erik

•   
    • Minion

Thanks for the video! I have been backstage many times taken pics never been told not to. Is there a official rule for this posted anywhere? I swear people get upset over the littlest thing. How many videos and photos do we post of construction photos or when something breakdown?

• DLR Cast Member

T
    i first was able to run the backside of main street a few years back. In those days all the stuff that is currently behind canvas (the jungle cruise boats, the main street vehicles, the cms rest rooms and break areas, their lockers, pay phones, service doors etc.) were still out in the open. There has been at least some attempt by disney to stash some of that stuff out of eyesight.
    I always knew that taking pics of this area was tantamount to breaking a magician's secrets and have therefore never taken advantage of the grand old dame being seen in her skivvies.

• DLR Cast Member

Thanks, Tom. I can't post pictures of backstage things, so I don't understand why it is ok to run paying guests back there and them expect them to adhere to the same standards.

• Selfie Expert

I've been herded backstage once after fireworks (Dec 2011) and I thought it was really exciting! That's just the geek in me, I suppose. I always hope I get a ride breakdown and get evacuated, but never have! Even my last trip, on POTC we were stuck for 2-3 minutes a couple times, and finally stuck for 20 minutes 2 boats away from the exit. I was dying to evacuate that ride just to see how it's done... but alas, we finally moved to the platform and weren't even given a "thank you for waiting patiently". Ah well, maybe next time!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Functional & Decorative

I was backstage for a special event less than a month ago. While I was waiting for some of my group to change, I was texting on my phone (not taking pics, legitimately texting). A Disney staff member came up to me and said I couldn't take pictures backstage, and that they were getting reports of people doing so. She even checked the photos on my phone to make sure I hadn't taken any. She left looking fairly determined to find out who was taking pics. So they take it pretty seriously.

That said, if they do put guests backstage, it is difficult to expect them to follow the same rules.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

using backstage for crowd control is bush league. considering what they charge for park admissin, they need to get their act together and construct passages large enough to safely handle peak crowds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast