Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Sock Puppet

Re: DCA needs more Rides , wait times are too long!

still don't get how more rides will help the lines of the already present rides, it won't lessen the crowds.. like i said , it will bring in more people to the park

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It's what's left of the former parking area that was left when DCA was constructed. And just beyond that there's the 7-Eleven and motels at the corner of the property, but they're behind the high voltage power lines that Carsland's mountain range was built to hide. There's two areas to grow: within the limits of the former parking lot, as well as building on the land that was dedicated to the tram route, which has parking lots and landscaping and takes up a good chunk of real estate.
    Yeah but let's face it, the 7-11 nor the hotels aren't going anywhere. When you look at what they have realistically, it's hardly anything. Almost all of that space is utilized by something. Even the parking lot next to the Paradise Pier Hotel (not the structure behind the hotel) is a crucial overflow lot on extremely busy days.

Yes, it will go from Disney's third park property/Convention Center to the new train station they're building at ARTIC.
    Oh don't worry about that. It's basically dead. The economy has killed it and it's just sitting there and will fade into the mothballs. The Anaheim City Council has bigger issues to worry about and this is not the first thing on their mind. What's on their mind? Make Kindness Contagious! I'm serious.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Oh don't worry about that. It's basically dead.
    That's not true.

This article was printed 10-25-12:

The Anaheim City Council has narrowly approved plans for a $319 million streetcar system connecting the city's forthcoming commuter train station to the Anaheim convention center and points in between.

The OC Register reports that three councilmembers overrode opposition from the mayor and another councilmember, who claimed they didn't know enough about the project and were concerned about being on the hook for some of the construction price (10 percent of the Portland-esque streetcar has to come from local sources) and its $4.3 million annual operating expenses. The city has $24.6 million on hand for the project, with hopes that the feds pay for half of the remaining.

The 3.2-mile line will connect the under-construction ARTIC train station--with connections to Amtrak, Metrolink, and possibly high-speed rail--to the Anaheim Convention Center, with stops at the Platinum Triangle, GardenWalk Mall, and Disneyland. A monorail, similar to the one that gets people into Disneyland, was also considered (too expensive), as was a bus system (little federal funding or opportunity for surrounding development). No word on an anticipated opening for the streetcar just yet.
    Soon You'll Be Able to Take a Train to a Streetcar to a Monorail to Disneyland - Meanwhile in the OC... - Curbed LA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Yeah but let's face it, the 7-11 nor the hotels aren't going anywhere. When you look at what they have realistically, it's hardly anything.
    7-Eleven and the hotels obviously wouldn't agree to sell or they'd have been demolished for DCA 1.0 but the remaining 'expansion pad' behind Tower of Terror is something like 5 acres.

• Parking Lot > DCA

7-Eleven and the hotels obviously wouldn't agree to sell or they'd have been demolished for DCA 1.0 but the remaining 'expansion pad' behind Tower of Terror is something like 5 acres.
    Maybe, but I just don't see it happening.

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    still don't get how more rides will help the lines of the already present rides, it won't lessen the crowds.. like i said , it will bring in more people to the park
    If that was directed at me, I apologize, that wasn't the way I was going with that. You are correct. More rides won't help.

• Banned User

If the ride is hot and far enough away from the other hot rides, the guest dispersion alone may lighten some (minimally) line waits. Maybe. But these E ticket rides need to be introduced in phases. As one (RSR) dies down, the other heightens... Etc.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

What? No besides Toy Story and Racers you can easily do every other ride without waiting in line....

Either get to the parks when it opens...go on the E ticket rides then get FP to rides like Sky School and then you'll really never wait in a line over 20 mins....besides racers and toy story (like I said before)

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    The number of rides are fine, it's just the efficiency of those rides that are poor. Too many rides are either slow-loading or low-capacity.

The quantity of rides and attractions that DcA has right now did help I prove its overall feel and stay length for guests but I personally feel that the park needs to add a few more attractions that will appeal to more people.

the problem at the moment is that A couple large sections of the park have little to do most afternoon and evenings.

Hollywoodland becomes pretty quiet in the evenings when all the performances for Alladin and playhouse Disney are done. Then there is the problem with Muppets almost always being empty and the reason why it keeps being used for temporary shows.
    Monsters is the only real ride in the evenings and even then is problematic to find or go near too because of the Mad Tea Party.

Now lets go to the opposite side of the park and you have Condor flats in which most people do Soarin early in the day and grizzly rapids which is a ghost town during the cool winter months.

now the only two areas left in the park are Carsland which is fairly new and Paradise Pier.

Now Paradise Pier is great and has some nice dark rides with toy story midway mania and Mermaid as well as a couple decent rides with Screamin and fun wheel but the rest are fill ins and those are goofy, zephyr and silly symphonies. The problem is that once it gets dark the majority of those shut down and sometimes do not open.

This does not leave guests much too do most of the evening.

the choices are to get in a long line for midway mania or get in mermaid which loads so quick you are in and out in less then twenty minutes.

BurBank and TDA really need to sit down and look at the guest patterns of the park and figure out how to distribute the crowds properly while increasing the parks overall attendance. Hollywoodland is in major need of one or two more big attractions in the backlot section before they even consider expanding into the remaining expansion pad behind Tower.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    but the rest are fill ins and those are goofy, zephyr and silly symphonies.
    Don't forget Jellyfish and Triton.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    I think the not wanting to wait in line mentally started when Fast Pass was introduced. Before that, it was expected that you were going to be in lines all day.
    When I was a kid in the 80s, seeing Space Mtn w/a 60 min wait was jaw dropping. Now, you consider that as kind of the given. Lines are longer than ever.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    Adding more rides will only increase the number of attendance. At this point, you would have to jack up the ticket prices to the max and start eliminating APs.
    That is assuming that there is a linear relationship between the number of rides and attendance. The real situation is a little more complex. For example, are there guests who *wouldn't* want to see Carsland, yet would come for a big new Ratatouille ride? Probably not.

I think the high mark, the "all hands on deck", number of guests we saw this summer and during the holidays. Adding more rides, even lands, would only modestly increase guest numbers on non-peak days. After all, there is only a limited number of people who actually do want to do Disney, and have the time and money to do it on any given date.

TDA also allows the parks to become super crowded by waiting to close admission until attendance levels are high. With more rides/lands, the park can soak up more guests, and of course, more hotel rooms will be occupied on the property, where Disney really makes a lot of money off the resort.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 01-07-2013 at 07:47 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Yeah, it's really amazing to me that Disney would build Carsland with one large ride and just two small rides that don't really draw any riders away from the big ride. I suppose their model was the Wizarding World of Harry Potter which only has three rides, but the two auxiliary rides there are both roller coasters... so they can easily draw people from the main attraction.
    I think Mater and Luigi's combined have about the same hourly guest capacity of RSR, and they do blockbuster business during moderate to heavy use days. It isn't that the small rides are supposedly to "draw away" guests from the big ride, you ride RSR, and then most families will ride Mater's and/or Luigi's before or after. These two rides are sorely needed to keep the land's capacity up.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    There's a lot of conjecture going back and forth on more rides, yes or no.

I don't think the issue is going to be solved by more rides or less rides, a 3rd gate or no 3rd gate.
    Of course, the issue of crowding in the parks isn't seen as a negative by TDA, more guests means more tickets sold and more meals and merchandise bought. If anything, should the high crowd level remain after Carsland's first year, I would expect that Burbank would look at adding more rides and guest capacity, i.e. a new land/land expansion/park as this would mean more money.

There is a plan to expand Frontierland from around Pooh's, so you can walk from Pooh's up past where the Indian Village is, and there will be some new rides and this area will exit around Big Thunder. Maybe they'd put in the Oz ride up near Fantasyland, and then add a WRE style Lone Ranger ride up in the northwest area. Of course there would be shops and restaurants. This expansion would be important as TDA could calculate a higher guests capacity for Disneyland and let in more people.

A possible first chess move for expanding Disneyland would be to add the Main Street Alley, with its own exit, so that the relatively huge new numbers of guests in Disneyland (perhaps 5 -10,000 more when all is said and done), can safely exit the park without a traffic jam, after the fireworks.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 01-07-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123