Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Character Meet & Greet Areas: Does This Destroy the Disney Magic?

In one of my other threads, fellow MiceChatters appear to be conflicted as to the value of current Disney Character "Meet & Greet" dedicated areas. Some say that this allows kids a guaranteed opportunity to see their favorite Disney Characters when they visit Disneyland. Others say that it destroys the "magic" from the old days when characters would stroll the park and interact randomly with Guests.

Do you think that Disney should continue to create dedicated Meet & Greet areas? Or should Disney Management be placed under arrest for destroying the old "magic"?
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 01-04-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Removed image due to copyright violation/use without permission from the Associated Press.

• Minion

Re: Character Meet & Greet Areas: Does This Destroy the Disney Magic?

ORDDU: Disney management really has no other choice in this matter. In the old days the parks weren't as packed with guests as they are now. So when characters used to wander about and encounter guests, it was a lot easier for them to deal with guests and for guests to deal with them. With today's attendance figures being so high, Disney is forced to create special meet and greet area's in order to handle the demand there is for photo's and autographs.

ORWEN: But I'd hardly say it destroys the magic. If anything it enhances the magic. Being able to see and meet the Disney characters is one of the highest priorities of many guests. Take that away from them and there is no magic.

For me, I liked the random nature of how it used to be, you never new for sure if you were going to see the characters, and it added to the excitement and magic of the whole experience. The fact that it wasn't a given, definitely made it more special.

Sadly this seems to be another example of the current Disney machine at work, pandering to guests (not in a good way imho) creating a homogenized and unified experience, while spoonfeeding the magic to guests.

The "everyone gets everything all the same across the board" mentality, robs the Disneyland experience of another part of its charm and uniqueness.

• -

It definitely takes away the magic. Having a planned time and place to meet the characters takes away the wonderful surprise there used to be of walking around a corner and seeing your favorite character suddenly there to meet in person.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Disney management really has no other choice in this matter. In the old days the parks weren't as packed with guests as they are now. So when characters used to wander about and encounter guests, it was a lot easier for them to deal with guests and for guests to deal with them. With today's attendance figures being so high, Disney is forced to create special meet and greet area's in order to handle the demand there is for photo's and autographs.

ORWEN: But I'd hardly say it destroys the magic. If anything it enhances the magic. Being able to see and meet the Disney characters is one of the highest priorities of many guests. Take that away from them and there is no magic.

I believe this too though

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    For me, I liked the random nature of how it used to be, you never new for sure if you were going to see the characters, and it added to the excitement and magic of the whole experience. The fact that it wasn't a given, definitely made it more special.

Sadly this seems to be another example of the current Disney machine at work, pandering to guests (not in a good way imho) creating a homogenized and unified experience, while spoonfeeding the magic to guests.

The "everyone gets everything all the same across the board" mentality, robs the Disneyland experience of another part of its charm and uniqueness.
    I applaud this post
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It definitely takes away the magic. Having a planned time and place to meet the characters takes away the wonderful surprise there used to be of walking around a corner and seeing your favorite character suddenly there to meet in person.
    I applaud this post as well
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Yep, it definitely ruins it.

The idea was that you built this make-believe world and then your characters populated it, giving the impression you were visiting a lived-in place.

I also think these designated meet and greets make for bad photos. Princess photos would look so much better with the sunlight and smiling crowds and Fantasyland architecture behind it, rather than whatever sort of bland indoor wall with fluorescent lighting they'll eventually end up with.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Queen Elsa

I don't think it ruins the magic infact you still get random characters poping out ever so other like. Pinocchio,Fairy Godmother,Brer Fox & Bear, Mary Poppins,Capt. Hook and others like them. They don't have a area you you can see them like you do with Mickey, Tinkerbell or Snow White or Pooh. To me I think it's easyer to see who you want if they are in a location. Also you still can get characters in front of the gates when you walk in to Main St. like the Princess or Pluto or sometimes Queen of Hearts so you still have random characters poping around out of know where.

• Senior Minion

Best quote I've ever read on this subject:

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Meet & Greets are popular because the guests have NO choice now. This isn't the past where meeting a character was completely random and part of the magic. Now it's completely scripted into your schedule with no guarantee of them being open later; thus guests grudgingly wait in those lines to get that "memory". But there is no real memory anymore, just a photograph. When I look at my old photos with characters, I still remember the story that went with it. "Oh that's when Big Bad Wolf came up from behind and stole our slushee and pretended to eat it! Remember that?" Now the magic is manufactured. "Remember when you met 'Tangled'?" "Yes, we waited an hour and a half and the thief guy left right before we got to the front." They don't even know their names... just the brand.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    In one of my other threads, fellow MiceChatters appear to be conflicted as to the value of current Disney Character "Meet & Greet" dedicated areas. Some say that this allows kids a guaranteed opportunity to see their favorite Disney Characters when they visit Disneyland. Others say that it destroys the "magic" from the old days when characters would stroll the park and interact randomly with Guests.

Do you think that Disney should continue to create dedicated Meet & Greet areas? Or should Disney Management be placed under arrest for destroying the old "magic"?
    the photo posted is a bit much.....really?

and to answer the question, nah doesn't ruin it for me

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    the photo posted is a bit much.....really?

and to answer the question, nah doesn't ruin it for me
    I was going to ask the origin of that photo. I think I read an article that someone dressed like Snow White couldn't be let into the park so she caused a raucous?

Didn't Disney start doing designated areas due to lawsuits from people alleging "inappropriate touching" from characters? I thought this was a liability issue and that is why it is now mostly contained to designated areas. I may be wrong though.

That being said, I agree that it takes away some of the magic at the parks. I miss the experiences I had as a child of seeing random characters walking through the park with no handlers and no crush of guests mobbing them.

Thankfully they have not gone into a complete model of meet and greet areas. As Capt Hook said, you can still see characters on Main Street and elsewhere in the park throughout the day.

My fear is that they will do away with that completely and go full throttle on the meet and greet areas. It seems that they are slowly moving towards this model. I know I wouldn't like it if the only way my kids can see characters in by waiting 1+ hour in line or by paying a huge fee for a Character Meal.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Lets see...no one is forced to go to meet and greets, characters still wander and occasionally bother you with their silly antics(Chip once took my pin lanyard because all my pins were of chip and dale lol) and other people are enjoying the meet and greets...so what is the problem? Is it worth taking away M&G from people who genuinely like them just to satisfy you to know they no longer exist? Does that satisfaction grant one more magic?

Not everyone enjoys the park in the same way. The offerings need to be diverse and I'd say they have a pretty good balance considering the huge amount of differing opinions and demands of the park's multitude of guests.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast