Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Visiting Disneyland by yourself and/or without your kids

As long as you, personally, want to be there you'll have a swell time. I predict that in the very first few hours you might think "What have I gotten myself into?" but in the last few hours before your final departure you'll wonder how all that time went by so fast.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have always been a loner. My biggest pet peeve is waiting for people who arrive late. This is especially annoying on vacation, where my time is limited.

Group touring is fun, but if I had to do it exclusively on vacation, I'd become very frustrated.
    Oh you and me BOTH! it happened to me last night when I had dinner reservations and I'm waiting for my parents to drop my kid off with me...waiting and waiting....then having to rush to dinner reservations....ugh

• ShovelyBubblyGobblyGook

Count me in also as someone who does nothing but hit the parks alone.

In the past two years I've become, shall we say, very much a lone wolf. A huge hermit honestly. I found myself somehow not very close to any of my (in state) friends. I had a pass but always went with either my sister or my brother. But eventually they stopped going as often and I decided I didn't want to pay for a pass if I wasn't gonna use the hell out of it. So I started taking the bus. That first time was definitely awkward but now it's just so second nature to me.

I go and sit and watch the performers and draw for a while. Just kind of wander around. Ride in the single rider line if I actually feel like getting on one. Just generally take it at my own pace; and it's FUN. I have no problems just sitting on my own and people watching for hours. Now any time I go with anyone else I'm kind of unsure what to do as I'm used to finding the nearest thing to sit on and draw.

So basically, if you enjoy a lot of alone time and don't mind doing things out in public alone, I think you'll be ok I myself was used to going all the time with my family so I understand where you're coming from. It's not as big and scary as it may seem :P

There are a number of threads about "solo at Disneyland" and I usually comment on them, since I very much do enjoy my visits, which are very often solo. I eat a leisurely meal someplace, and watch people. I've done some sketching. I take pictures- including just about every window on Buena Vista Street. Ride the rides you want- maybe several times in a row. Watch a show (the street musicians on BVS are great fun). Voices of Liberty, the Aladdin show, the parades, whatever you want.

Focus on what you can do and want to do.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I've done it all different ways: alone, with a friend, with a husband, with grandkids. All all different experiences. I can't say which was more enjoyable, but they all have their merits.

When I was single, flying down to DL was my yearly vacation and lots of fun to play tourist. I even took tours of LA and such. When alone, you can go on what you want, at your own pace, eat when you want to or what you want with no comments (lol), sit for a couple of hours at Hungry Bear just watching the River and relaxing, etc. The photography angle is a good one as you can take your time, wait for the Monorail to come by at just the right position, wait for an orange Autopia car, etc, with no one moaning that it is taking so long.

With others, you can sometimes see things through their eyes - as you said you did when you first took your child.

It is something you will have to weigh out as you are coming in from Arizona and will have to spend a couple of days.

Either way, you will have a good time!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• world class bilge rat

I'd say go for it! You'll have fun in ways you cannot understand without actually doing it.

I go to DL once a year, usually with my daughter (18) and 3 of her friends. We all stick together for the first few hours each day, then the kids want to 'ditch dad' and run around on their own.

Honestly, I don't know which is more fun, being with the kids or being by myself.

I like the fantasyland rides....you know, the little kid ones......Sure, sometimes a 56 year old guy gets some strange looks getting on Snow White or Peter Pan alone, but I simply don't let it bother me. I'm there to enjoy myself, and I certainly do, no matter what anyone else might think.

If you do decide to go alone, I'd bet that very soon, you'll forget all about the fact that you're alone, because a whole new aspect of the Disney experience has been opened up.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I'd say go for it! You'll have fun in ways you cannot understand without actually doing it.

I go to DL once a year, usually with my daughter (18) and 3 of her friends. We all stick together for the first few hours each day, then the kids want to 'ditch dad' and run around on their own.

Honestly, I don't know which is more fun, being with the kids or being by myself.

I like the fantasyland rides....you know, the little kid ones......Sure, sometimes a 56 year old guy gets some strange looks getting on Snow White or Peter Pan alone, but I simply don't let it bother me. I'm there to enjoy myself, and I certainly do, no matter what anyone else might think.

If you do decide to go alone, I'd bet that very soon, you'll forget all about the fact that you're alone, because a whole new aspect of the Disney experience has been opened up.
    A man after my own heart. I absolutely love Fantasyland. Dumbo is my favorite, followed by Pinocchio of course, and Mr. Toad. I only do Peter Pan, if the line is short. I can also do back to back rides on the Teacups with no problem.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Just do what you feel like doing. Now as for me? I am an Annual Passholder I always go solo and it has it's pros and cons. For example, I am able to do what I can do on a whim. I don't have to wait for a response from anyone else or even argue with anyone on what to do because I am the only one doing things. It also enables me to use the Single Riders which has it's great benefits. The Matterhorn's stand by wait time can be up to 60 minutes. Single riders (most of the time) gets me on instantly, and for Splash Mountain, a 75+ minute wait turns into 5 minutes with Single Riders. Cons...it can become a little bit lonely, but I find that loneliness soothing. I also did a trip report of a solo birthday trip I did a while back. You can see the sort of spontinuity in there, with me going from Disneyland to California Adventure and back again on a whim. But as said before, it's all up to you.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and opinions. It is encouraging to hear that most people have positive solo park experiences.

If the family still doesn't want to go this year, I will probably see if there is anyone else who wants to tag along but I would be fine flying solo after hearing everyone's experiences.

• Minion

Just recently I became single I have acually had a blast exploring the parks on my own.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Also, the MiceChat group meets every Sunday by the Partners Statue. That is a good way to meet some of the nice people in here. We have done it when we can and always have a great chat!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

I don't remember the last time I was lonely in the parks by myself.

Enjoy your visit!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I don't remember the last time I was lonely in the parks by myself.

Enjoy your visit!
    Never lonely at Disneyland. The place transports me to my Happy Place.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12