Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Visiting Disneyland by yourself and/or without your kids

This year, I am contemplating visiting Mickey's place by myself, but for some reason I am having reservations about it.

The backstory is even after growing up in OC for about 20 years, I never enjoyed Disneyland. It wasn't until we took my oldest on his first visit that I realized how much fun the place was. Over the last few years, we have tried to go about once a year. However, after our most recent visit last fall, my wife is not for going at all this year and my kids to put it bluntly were done with the parks by lunch the first day of our three day trip.

So, my question to the masses is, with my family being such a integral part of our trips, will I really be able to enjoy the parks by myself? I was planning on practicing some photography while I was there but it still seems strange to just go by myself for several days. To me, it seems a bit of a let down to try and hit all the rides without being able to see the smile on my kids faces or talk about all the exciting things.

Thanks for your opinions.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Visiting Disneyland by yourself and/or without your kids

Some of my best visits are to the parks alone. I just recently went alone and posted a trip report...

A few hours at DCA in the evening...RSR at night Video

I was able to do single rider which I can't do when I have my boy with me. And he never wants to ride what I want to ride. I make the decisions on what to do, where to go. Its great!

But I have actually pretty much done alot of things alone, so I'm used to it. I don't mind eating alone or standing in a line alone. And now with my smartphone I can put in my earbuds and listen to music

I vote do it!
    Last edited by clara; 01-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.

I'm a local with an AP, so I'm not sure if my perspective applies, but I go fairly often by myself. The trips though are generally different in tone and purpose. I watch and observe and photograph. I don't ride many rides. A do very much prefer going with my family though. Rides and meals are just better with them.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Banned User

Do it for the perspective. The adventure. The fun. Don't task it. Relax. Enjoy

• Minion

I was also very skeptical about doing Disney by myself, but once you go out and do it and stop worrying about being lonely or something, it's really very relaxing. You get to do anything you want without worrying if the other person will enjoy it as well. You get to take in all the sights, people watch, get lost in the park. Lines might seem a little awkward, but with so many people, it's easy to just notice quirks others have.

Ultimately, it's an enjoyable experience. I say if you're really worried, have a back up plan because that might give you some relief in case you're not feeling it and you might be able to ease up and actually enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    have a back up plan because that might give you some relief in case you're not feeling it and you might be able to ease up and actually enjoy yourself.
    This is a good point in that nearly all of my solo trips are significantly shorter than our family trips. I think the longest I've stayed at the park solo is maybe 5 or 6 hours.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My next trip begins in just 3 week's time. For the most part, I am flying solo. The last 4 days will be devoted to the big Mice/Age Anniversary, and I will be hanging out those days with MiceChat friends that I have made.

I gradually worked my way up to going solo, and now I actually look forward to all that alone time at "The Happiest Place on Earth". It really is that, you know.

If you're the only one who truly enjoys the parks, go by yourself. I would love a solo trip! I popped in to Disneyland to hit a ride or two while Christmas shopping in Downtown Disney. It was the best! If you have the chance, do it. Just think about how you can take all the pictures you want, go at your own pace & ride any ride you want. Sounds perfect to me : )

• Banned User

Going alone can be the most fun of all. Nobody to drag you down, or whine about doing something they don't want to do that you do, or argue with you. You're totally free to do whatever you want, see whatever you want, eat whatever you want. You can go at your own pace instead of having to either hurry up or wait because of someone else. You can take all the time you want with whatever you want, ignore what you want to ignore, etc. Total freedom.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Well, I'll say this: It's not for everybody.

I've actually gone to the parks a few times by myself. To be honest, I didn't particularly enjoy it. What I've learned from those trips is I actually like to go with company. But as you can see in this thread, there are some people who do enjoy going by themselves. It all really comes down to your preference. You might like it, you might not. Like with everything, there are pros and cons. You do have the complete freedom of doing whatever you want without being dragged down. But you can also start feeling self conscience, which is what happened to me. If you can get past being self conscience at the parks by yourself, you might enjoy yourself.

I will say though, if you're by yourself at the parks, it is a great time to practice your photography. There won't be anyone that will wait on you, and you can go anywhere and do anything. I think some of my best shots that I took at Disneyland happened when I went by myself.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Count me in as one of those people who enjoy the park solo. I have fun when I'm with a group, but I actually get a bit... testy... if I don't have a bit of alone/me time in the park to just wander and do what I want. I like to spend time just looking, taking pictures of what I want... taking the time to take pictures... relaxing, absorbing the atmosphere... But then ever since I was a kid, I've been comfortable with myself and doing things alone. Maybe it comes from growing up as an only child that its never bothered me to do things by myself.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have always been a loner. My biggest pet peeve is waiting for people who arrive late. This is especially annoying on vacation, where my time is limited.

Group touring is fun, but if I had to do it exclusively on vacation, I'd become very frustrated.

•   
    • Minion

I usually prefer going to the parks (and traveling in general) solo, too! It's hugely fun.

Traveling alone gives you the freedom to really see what you enjoy and savor every moment. It will be a different experience than going with family, but it won't be worse. What you will discover is that freedom is exhilirating. You can do and see whatever you want, go where you want, eat when and where you want...and without anyone else to distract you, you will have a chance to drink it all in and process it.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Thanks everyone.

I have no problem doing things by myself. Guess that comes with being an only child. To me, it would just be different to go to a place solo that holds so many special memories as a family. I will probably wind up doing it anyway. Maybe I can bribe the kids

• The doctor is in

I feel like if you only enjoy the park when you are with your family then you probably wouldn't enjoy a solo trip. However, it's always worth a shot.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast