Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rainy Days at Disneyland - Is it worth it? Need Advice.

Okay, I need some advice. Let me give you a bit of background information.

First, I was planning on taking the kids to Disneyland this past Thursday with our annual passes. I often take the kids without hubby, because as a teacher I have a lot of days off. However, my husband got laid off last Wednesday (happy new year, huh), so we decided to push off the trip to Sunday so he could join us. He really needs a pick me up.

Second, the kids and I have deluxe passes and he has the SoCal passes, so it would have to be Sunday if he were to join us.

Third, it's my birthday tomorrow. This is the only way I'm going to be able to celebrate it, because we don't want to spend any unnecessary money on dinners or gifts.

And fourth, we really want to ride Big Thunder before it shuts down. So we need to go tomorrow or Sunday.

Now, we find out it's going to rain all day Sunday. We are trying to decide if I take the kids on Saturday without my husband or if we go in the rain and cold on Sunday with my husband.

I'm so bummed about this. And, we cannot afford a blockout pass because of his unemployment at the moment.

So, please let me know what Disney is like on rainy days. Is it worth going? Or will we be totally miserable? Any advice on how to handle rainy days? The kids and I would really prefer to have him along.

Thanks for any info.

Re: Rainy Days at Disneyland - Is it worth it? Need Advice.

It's actually really great on rainy days. There usually isn't any crowds. Even though you will probably get wet, it will still be fun. If you decide to go, then make sure you bring as much water protection as possible. Disney sells ponchos for $10, but you can get the same thing at the dollar store. You might also want to bring an extra pair of socks.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Totally worth it!

In fact, when it's raining is my favorite time to go to the park. Just come prepared. I can't stress that enough. Wear the right clothes, bring extra socks, etc. It doesn't generally rain super hard here but you never know.

Lines should be short to none for just about everything. Expect closures on some rides (Radiator Springs Racers, etc) but overall it should be a mellow day. You'll also get to see the Christmas decorations one last time before they are removed Sunday night.

Have fun!

(and sorry to hear about your husband being laid off!)

PS: If you ever get to go on a weekday during the off season when it's raining, the park is even less crowded!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Ok so...

First, I've gone in the rain before with my son. It was a blast. We prepared...(more on preparations later).

Here is a memorable moment I had in the rain at DCA:
    We were in line to watch the Disney Junior on Stage. It had been raining on and off. While in line it started pouring. The place was empty. Puddles started to form on the ground and my kid and I left the line and started hopping up and down in puddles. CM's were watching and laughing. Needless to say our feet were soaked afterwards (and I wasn't prepared for full sock soakage) but I bought us new Disney socks.

Second, preparation...

• I say get one of these:

Name:  poncho1.JPG
Views: 4505
Size:  36.4 KB

They sell them in the parks or in Downtown Disney when its raining. I have about 6 of them I've collected over the years. I have them clear like the one above and in red but I think the red ones came from New York City when my parents went...

• Have extra dry socks. Nothing is more uncomfortable than wet socks.

• an umbrella that is small and can be put away when its dry but whipped out when its wet. I have 4 of these I've bought at the parks over the years to:

Name:  Disney-Parks-Mickey-Mouse-Umbrella.jpg
Views: 4507
Size:  24.2 KB

But its California. It will be cold and a bit wet but it won't be a hurricane. If its raining on the day that works better for your schedules...do it! But be prepared for some ride closures. However, rainy days tend to not be as crowded.

Hope that helps a bit!

Go for it. Unless it's a downpour, then do it. You will be doing cartwheels down Main Street (and getting funny looks for doing them), but it's amazing how many people are afraid to go when it rains. I think they think that there is some monster that comes out in the rain. Between us, there is no monster, it's just water!

Thanks everyone! You're making me feel a lot better about it. We really want to go with my husband. We have ponchos and can pack socks.

Does anyone know what rides will close? Will the rides reopen when the rain stops? According to the forecast, it's supposed to rain until 2 or 3-ish.

And, as a nice surprise, I just found out that our neighbor is a Club 33 member. We were hanging out in the cul-de-sac watching the kids while explaining our rain predicament. She said she would get us in for dinner sometime in the next few months before our passes expired. I was sooooo excited!

Again, thanks for the responses!

• Minion

It is very worth it imo. Short lines and many of the rides are indoors so you won't have to worry too much about getting wet.

• And Dad was my hero.

I think you will have a glorious time.

I have actually been trying to plan a trip in the rain, because of how not crowded I hear it is. Sounds heavenly.

• #bringevilback

To echo others, I love going in the rain. Growing up, they were always the least crowded days. Recently I went in the rain and based on the lines you would have thought it was a sunny summer day. Lines were long, Main Street was crowded, it was crazy! I hope for your sake it is not crowded and you have a blast!

• The doctor is in

Go for it. Just bring some extra dry clothes (socks especially) and invest in ponchos and/or umbrellas.

Sorry to hear about your husband's job.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Maybe I'll see you there!

Rainy days are absolutely hands down my favorite days to go! Bring an umbrella, warm clothes, and waterproof footwear, and you will have a blast!

• Selfie Expert

I know I'm echoing all of the opinions here, but go in the rain!! My absolute favorite thing to do is ride Thunder Mountain while it's raining. It's a blast!

I'm from AZ, so rain is like a special occasion for me. So rain plus Disney is just plain magical!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• We Want The Redhead

The best is being out there on a sunny morning and then having the skies open up midway through the day. Watching 30,000 freaked out folks making a literal mad dash to the front gates is a riot in itself. From that point on the park is all yours.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

Is that one of the weekend days ap's canget in an hr early?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast