Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Hello Dolly.

Re: Fast Pass Return Times to be Enforced In Spring

I've never been late to a fastpass. If we miss it we are just like oh well.

Funny I didn't know it was so common to come at your own time. Good they are enforcing it soon though!

• Seasick

I have no complaints if they want to start enforcing return times. It's not that difficult to adhere to them.

Missing of return times due to ride breakdowns should be a minor issue. I like the stamp idea to extend a pass if you show up and the ride is down, and this could be done in a central location in addition to the ride location itself.

Missing a ride time due to parades and what not is the guests problem. It's up to the guest to know where and when a parade is and avoid the area if their Fastpass is that important to them.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I don't think coming late for your Fastpass is that big of an issue.
    The issue is Disney wants to make some money off a Fatpass+ type system.

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    I don't think coming late for your Fastpass is that big of an issue.
    The issue is Disney wants to make some money off a Fatpass+ type system.
    Yep.... I believe this to be the case. A price tag attached to a priviledged fast pass.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Say you get a Soarin FastPass. In the meantime, you go on Racers. Racers breaks down while you're on it. Because of that, you now miss your FassPass return time on Soarin. When you finally get to Soarin, should they let you ride, even though you missed your window, and it wasn't your fault?
    They should absolutely not let you ride on the next ride. If you went on Racers and had a live person hold your spot on Soarin' and you got stuck on Racers you wouldn't get your spot back in line if that person's turn came up for Soarin' before you got back. Why should a virtual system of holding your place in line be any different?

It would now mean that either every FastPass ticket taker would have to know the breakdowns of every single ride in the entire resort for the entire day to know if this is true or not, or take the time to call every individual ride and get a report from them. Not very realistic or practical.
    They would only have to know if there was a breakdown on the particular ride that the fastpass is being used for broke down.

Let's say one had a fastpass for Star Tours for 3:35. If the ride was broken down between 3:35 and 4:35 the workers at Star Tours should know and honor the fastpass. A worker on Space Mountain wouldn't have to know about a breakdown on Star Tours.

This, or people being stuck at a restaurant longer than expected because of a slow server, or not able to get through due to heavy crowds (ever try to cross the hub during fireworks?), etc., happened all the time.
    These are all poor excuses for being late with a fastpass. With the hour grace period that is given, there is no reason to not make it back through all that stuff. If you know you have a fastpass for 5:15, don't sit down to dinner at 5pm. If you want to eat at 5pm, don't get a fastpass for 5:15 come back and get one for a more convenient time.

Also even with parades or fireworks, it shouldn't take an hour to get from one side of the park to another. It is simply not that big of a distance.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I'm very interested in seeing how efficient the FP system would work if ran properly. Even having 3 small kids, I have no problem crossing the park rather quickly. We have gotten rather lazy with our return times but only because we can get away with it when a child decides they'd rather go on another ride or the other park.

• Functional & Decorative

All those arguments work pretty well in a forum like this. But try being the rank and file employee who's dealing with a family of 8 screaming at them in front of a ride entrance who missed their time because their toddler peed on himself during It's a Small World, and had to take time to change, thereby missing their Fastpass window. (Sound extreme? Well in fact, this actually happened while I was with a friend with her toddler--although she did not complain about missing a fastpass after. But you could imagine she could make a case for it).

And then another family screams at you because they were stuck on Splash Mountain.

And another screams that the line for Star Tours said 60 minutes, but it ended up taking 100.

And another screams that her son had run back to the car to get their insulin medication, or else he'd die--and they'd sue you if he had died.

And another. And another. And another.

Have fun.

I really feel like I had read articles here on MiceAgo, from Al Lutz himself when FastPass first rolled out back in 1999 and they were enforcing the times. These sorts of stories were being reported over and over, and I believe eventually led to them being more relaxed about the end time... it sort of solved the problem. (Do any other longtime readers remember these articles?) I hope I'm wrong, but should they start enforcing the end times again, we'll see if history repeats itself. Should be interesting, and if so, if they work to find a different method to solve the problem. Part of me says they haven't, would could be part of the delay leading the possible enforcement.

Plus, we all know that in reality, when a shift changes, they don't always get the memo of what happened before. So if a ride breaks down at 3:30, and they tell you to return later, that does not necessarily mean the 8:00pm shift know the ride broke for 30 minutes over 5 hours ago.

And while I'm making some semi-extreme examples, the point is, there are sometimes factors that can be out of your control that can cause you to miss your window.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

To be honest, I can't say that my friends and I abide by the return period too much, so I guess we're in the group that takes advantage of the non-enforcement. It would be interesting, however, to see how the park functions if return times were enforced though. I wouldn't have a problem following the rules but in its current state, the non-enforcement allows us to be a little more spontaneous with our day.

I finally returned to the park Sat w/ a new Deluxe pass after a 5 month break and 3 years prior as a passholder. While we got Fastpasses for Haunted Mansion Holiday, a cast member announced to everyone, "Ladies and gentlemen, starting this spring Fatpass times WILL be enforced," or something very close to it. I was going to come on here and start a thread but we did a 9 hour day hopping to CA Adventure and back, plus I drove the 1.5 hours both ways, so I was too exhausted. Came here today and saw this thread. So I can confirm cast members are making this announcement.

As far as return times, this last trip was the first time I returned late. FP ended at 6:05, arrived to Soaring at 6:22 (you'd think this scenario is where CMs would tell you this, but nothing from her). Indy had broken down so we were late. We don't do it, but in this particular case, after 5 months gone, we wanted to maximize our day, so we used the knowledge they don't enforce to our advantage.

However, I've no problem with the new policy.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
    On our weekend trip last week we had 3 fast passes that we couldn't use in the window due to weather and breakdowns. Screaming, BTMRR, and RSR. This was in a two day period. In other words, even if they do start to enforce it, they will really be struggling to keep track of what went down when. I wish it was an anomaly but I remember something going down every day I've been there for quite a while.
    A couple of solutions:
    1. Expand the return window. I hope it's not still 15 minutes, otherwise there will be lots of angry guests. And that means more complaints, both at City Hall and here. I think an hour, perhaps two, should be better. If you can't get back by then, then truly too bad.
    2. For breakdowns, fastpasses are usually given to those in line. Fastpass returners should also get a new fastpass, giving up the one they have.

Also, I think a sign at the FastPass pickup spot could do the job of informing the guests, as well as a note on the FastPass itself.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Plus, we all know that in reality, when a shift changes, they don't always get the memo of what happened before. So if a ride breaks down at 3:30, and they tell you to return later, that does not necessarily mean the 8:00pm shift know the ride broke for 30 minutes over 5 hours ago.
    I was with you until this point. Sorry, but it's not difficult to put a whiteboard up backstage that says X ride was down from here to there, Y ride is currently down. If not even that, it should be CM courtesy to someone who's just getting on their shift to be told by someone on a different shift what's been going on.

If a ride breaks down during your FP window, that could be kind of messed up, as it would be for the people that had been waiting in the standby line! It's not that complicated. You either get your pass stamped, or, better yet, you get a generic FOL pass, good for that attraction, or any other one. Isn't that how they compensate the people who'd been in the standby line? Also, in 2013, it shouldn't be that difficult for Cast Members to know when their particular ride had been down. Isn't all of that info noted and logged meticulously? Don't they have to keep accurate records of downtimes? I bet you could give the ops a mobile device with an APP that can instantly give them the downtimes for every attraction in the resort. I think there already is an APP for that, and I don't think you have to even work for the company to get it.
    The pass basically says something to the effect of "the holder of this pass may bypass the bulk of the standby line if they arrive within the window". It doesn't say "this pass will get you to the front of the line, no matter what! Guaranteed! Whether it's Disney's fault or not that you couldn't make the window!"
    And any parent who puts a theme park ride before their kids health or safety, well, it's the parent that should be sued, or have legal action taken against.
    I say, bring on the enforcement. If people have a problem, let them go to GR and ask for their money back, oh wait, the FastPass was free!
    It's a type of FOL pass for a theme park ride, not a ticket for a Cirque Du Soleil that cost you hundreds of dollars.

•   
    • Minion

You know, they already do give out the FOL passes sometimes when the rides go down or passengers have to be evacuated. There is no difference. Stamping the passes would be a great way to discern when a 101 happened. You'd ostensibly already be at the ride to board during your FP time, so it shouldn't be a big deal to go to that cast member to stamp it or punch a hole in it for you.

• Disney Obsessed

I dont really care if they enforce it or not... I just know what kind of society we live in now, and nothing is anyone's own fault, it's someone else's. and while I could care less about their excuses I just would feel bad for the front line CM's who will be blamed for the guests lack of responsibility and screamed at because some how it's the CM's fault that the guest couldnt get there on time. That would be my main reason for not wanting it enforced. I would hate to be that CM.

• Foolish Mortal

^ well put!

last night as i was waiting to enter the FP line of RSR, I saw about 10 people get turned away due to showing up after their FP stated time slot.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast