View Poll Results: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...and let me tell you what *I'd* do!

23 53.49%
  • No...it is completely impossible.

20 46.51%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

I'm severely confused by using "logistics" as a reasoning to say no. I can think of a dozen different ways to fix that without a doubt.

I'm a firm believer in preserving some of the most precious parts of Disneyland however, I think Tom Sawyer Island is a grand waste of space. I think the land has much more potential but even if full restored, there is so much more that could go on its land and still be thematically appropriate. How about a ride on a ghost stage coach through caverns underneath the river and then around the Indian-inhabited Island? Or turn the entire island into Geyser Mountain. If we are talking very bold, then perhaps use the island as part of a new land such as Port Discovery or a Chinese jungle themed area. I would put Tom Sawyer Island as the 2nd most underutilized piece of land only after Subs/Autopia/People Mover/Monorail.

• Banned User

What if they put a Starbucks on the island instead? They drank coffee back in the Old West.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I will respectfully disagree. Thrill rides have been filling parks. One of the most popular rides in the park IS a thrill ride. Space Mountain. Has been for years.
    While the park may contain thrill rides, that has never been what the park was about. It ha always been about families having fun together. While Space Mountain may be one of the more popular rides, the same could be said about Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Small World. The latter three are definity not thrill rides.
    Last edited by calsig31; 01-06-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    While the park may contain thrill rides, that has never been what the park was about. It ha always been about families having fun together. While Space Mountain may be one of the more popular rides, the same could be said about Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Small World. The latter three are definity not thrill rides.
    And Matterhorn, BTMRR....
    There is no argument agains thrill rides. Sorry. Adding a thrill ride would no way infringe upon families having fun together.

• Banned User

I think it could be done, although I wouldn't want it.

•   

Is it logistically possible yes.
    Should it be done? No way!!!
    Every now and then I really agree with you. You beat me to it on this one.

Could it be done? Yes. ....but why would you? It's a nice quiet little oasis away from everything noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Why does everything have to be a thrill ride?
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    What if they put a Starbucks on the island instead? They drank coffee back in the Old West.

Alright, that's it. Everyone off the island!! Everything's closed. Everyone go home. We're done here.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Why does everything have to be a thrill ride?
    Everything definitely isn't, they opened 3 new rides with cars land, only one is a "thrill ride" and a tame one at that.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Sondheimian

As other people have probably said, please, please, please no. Disneyland needs attractions like Tom Sawyer's Island and the Mark Twain Riverboat to break up the pace, and to make Disneyland unique. Disneyland needs a place where you can just explore and discover secrets, and the Island does that perfectly well. I think they should change the theme every now and again (like they have before), but I honestly feel like that island should be left forever for exploration.
    To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. - Walt Disney

• Banned User

I would like to see, the numbers. What percent of daily visitors actually put their feet on the island. My guess would be... Not many. And if it were something the Disney was looking at as a prospective ride location, I'm sure it'd be an attractive setting to disperse visitor traffic.

• Nic

I would like to see, the numbers. What percent of daily visitors actually put their feet on the island. My guess would be... Not many. And if it were something the Disney was looking at as a prospective ride location, I'm sure it'd be an attractive setting to disperse visitor traffic.
    Maybe it was just because it was the busy holiday season, but our raft to the island was packed a few days ago. There was actually a line forming.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Just this guy......

Is it logistically possible yes.

Should it be done? No way!!!
    I totally agree. Not everything has to be a thrill ride in this day and age.

• Sock Puppet

i actually think i will write Disneyland a letter and tell them to put a starbucks on tom sawyers island, thanks for suggesting...

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    it was said the island in disneyland was not built for something like in the photo above. i just don't see why every empty space has to have a thrill ride.. just leave the island as it is.

• -

And Matterhorn, BTMRR....
    There is no argument agains thrill rides. Sorry. Adding a thrill ride would no way infringe upon families having fun together.
    Again, I am not denying the existence of thrill rides. That is just not what the park is about. They do have a purpose there, but Not every new ride needs to be an adrenaline rush.

It is probably a greater number tan you think. Every raft that I have ever been on is always full both coming o and from the island. Also when standing on the shore, you can see he foot traffic on the island from across the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    it was said the island in disneyland was not built for something like in the photo above. i just don't see why every empty space has to have a thrill ride.. just leave the island as it is.
    +1
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Disneyland needs so many more thrill rides in the park. I think Main Street would be the next best choice. And then maybe they could put another one in NOS.

They should put in roller coasters all over the place!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast