View Poll Results: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...and let me tell you what *I'd* do!

23 53.49%
  • No...it is completely impossible.

20 46.51%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    It would, however infringe on families having fun together if a family-friendly attraction was replaced with a thrill ride which would most likely exclude people who are too young, too old, have medical issues, fear of fast moving rides, motion sickness, pregnancy...
    Welp, that seals it. Make Tom Sawyer Island a leper themed island for the lame. It's half way there I guess.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Welp, that seals it. Make Tom Sawyer Island a leper themed island for the lame. It's half way there I guess.
    I would hate to see you with a bulldozer in Disneyland......
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Minion

There is a difference between could and should. Could they logistically make rides on TSI? Of course. Should they? No. TSI is one of the park's sanctuaries - both for the many species that call Disneyland home, like ducks and other birds, and for guests. If you think it's wasted space...you might feel differently after spending a glorious afternoon people watching and picnicking or visiting with a kid who is a pain UNTIL they run around the island for an hour and blow off steam. The activity component of TSI alone is one of the reasons I'd keep it no matter what. We already have a lot of 'sit down and look' attractions; having a 'walk around and discover for yourself' one is valuable.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Exactly. Maybe they can add a linear induction launch and a couple of inversions to the railroad, too.

Not everything needs to make one go "yippee" while careening down a steep hill.
    ...and not everything has to be calm, gentle, and for 'everyone'. There are places for thrill rides and the OP thought Tom Sawyer Island could be one of those places. It was seriously just a hypothetical idea up for discussion and you people are tearing him apart. Was there this much uproar when they decided to put in Tower of Terror..? Or was that one too many thrill rides too?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    There is a difference between could and should. Could they logistically make rides on TSI? Of course. Should they? No. TSI is one of the park's sanctuaries - both for the many species that call Disneyland home, like ducks and other birds, and for guests. If you think it's wasted space...you might feel differently after spending a glorious afternoon people watching and picnicking or visiting with a kid who is a pain UNTIL they run around the island for an hour and blow off steam. The activity component of TSI alone is one of the reasons I'd keep it no matter what. We already have a lot of 'sit down and look' attractions; having a 'walk around and discover for yourself' one is valuable.
    Very well said.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Just what I want to see from the Mark Twain as we round the bend in the river:

What possibly could be more evocative of the 19th century frontier, I ask you!

(Of course, if we give it a suitable theme-appropriate name, like "Becky Thatcher's Curls" or "Pap's Drunken Nightmare," it just might fly. A perfect melding of "theme" and "relevance!")
    This is the most illogical, hyperbolic comparison I've seen from you and you know it.

Thrill rides never suggested a baren unthemed travesty like this. It was simply a category of attractions that is already present and firmly held in the Disney Parks that include Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest and many other popular and welcomed additions.

I usually agree with you but this is completely taking things out of context. No one is asking for this to be turned into Magic Mountain.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    ...and not everything has to be calm, gentle, and for 'everyone'. There are places for thrill rides and the OP thought Tom Sawyer Island could be one of those places. It was seriously just a hypothetical idea up for discussion and you people are tearing him apart. Was there this much uproar when they decided to put in Tower of Terror..? Or was that one too many thrill rides too?
    This.

• -

...and not everything has to be calm, gentle, and for 'everyone'.
    Noone ever said it did. However this thread is about removing such an area and replacing it with something that cannot be enjoyed by all. This would be the same as removing Space Mountain and putting in the Tomorrowland version of Tom Sawyer's Island.

Was there this much uproar when they decided to put in Tower of Terror..? Or was that one too many thrill rides too?
    Probably not since Tower of Terror didn't replace anything. Removing such an iconic and unique location as Tom Sawyer's Island is hardly an apples to apples comparison.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Banned User

Noone ever said it did. However this thread is about removing such an area and replacing it with something that cannot be enjoyed by all.
    Tom Sawyer island cannot be enjoyed by everyone.

You blatantly ignore those who suffer with : aquaphobia, insulaphobia, ambulaphobia, automysophobia, botanophobia, chlorophobia, Hylophobia, Nyctohylophobia or even Orthophobia.

See, there is no right or wrong to this, your, our discussion. Maybe they just need to remove the whole river and island and build flat grassy plain.

So families can have fun together.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I would hate to see you with a bulldozer in Disneyland......
    I'd steer it right into Autopia and The Submarine Lagoon...

• Observer

anyone else thinking about Paris and its Big Thunder Mountain ? it starts on the "Mainland" and goes through a tunnel beneath the river and out onto the island

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    You blatantly ignore those who suffer with : aquaphobia, insulaphobia, ambulaphobia, automysophobia, botanophobia, chlorophobia, Hylophobia, Nyctohylophobia or even Orthophobia.
    And just how prevalent are these phobias among the general population? Because, seems to me, far more people suffer from having kids.

• Minion

Noone ever said it did. However this thread is about removing such an area and replacing it with something that cannot be enjoyed by all. This would be the same as removing Space Mountain and putting in the Tomorrowland version of Tom Sawyer's Island.

Probably not since Tower of Terror didn't replace anything. Removing such an iconic and unique location as Tom Sawyer's Island is hardly an apples to apples comparison.
    I for one hate Tom Sawyer Island...my kids aren't too fond of it either. I can safely say that my family has more fun on BTMRR than Tom Sawyer Island. The fact that everyone is up in arms about this is absolutely ridiculous--it's a hypothetical question! Some people like the OP maybe think DL could use another ride or two dedicated to the more thrill-seeking audience, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    And just how prevalent are these phobias among the general population? Because, seems to me, far more people suffer from having kids.
    Again, not all kids like Tom Sawyer Island, and I'm pretty sure you aren't a kid who can even speak entirely for all of them. You do know that 'children' and 'families' are demographics that include more than just people with infants and toddlers under the height of, say, 40 inches, right?

• Closed Account

Again, not all kids like Tom Sawyer Island, and I'm pretty sure you aren't a kid who can even speak entirely for all of them. You do know that 'children' and 'families' are demographics that include more than just people with infants and toddlers under the height of, say, 40 inches, right?
    And you do know that there are plenty of thrill rides spread over two connected theme parks, right? And that if you want even more, Knott's is right up the street, right? And if you want even more, there's Six Flags an hour beyond that, right?

Again, just because YOU and your kids hate it, doesn't mean the majority of us don't appreciate it for what it is--a quiet respite for parents and one of the few remaining places in the Park where a kid is actually encouraged to use his/her imagination.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast