View Poll Results: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...and let me tell you what *I'd* do!

23 53.49%
  • No...it is completely impossible.

20 46.51%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    And just how prevalent are these phobias among the general population? Because, seems to me, far more people suffer from having kids.

See, we will never, ever know. So, if one must be concerned about another's phobias, handicaps, issues, etc....one must be concerned for all....when making ridiculous statements.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Tom Sawyer island cannot be enjoyed by everyone.

You blatantly ignore those who suffer with : aquaphobia, insulaphobia, ambulaphobia, automysophobia, botanophobia, chlorophobia, Hylophobia, Nyctohylophobia or even Orthophobia.

See, there is no right or wrong to this, your, our discussion. Maybe they just need to remove the whole river and island and build flat grassy plain.

So families can have fun together.
    For those laymen reading this out there these translate into:

Aquaphobia - an irrational fear of water
    Insulaphobia (actually spelled Isolophobia) - Fear of solitude, being alone
    Ambulaphobia (actually spelled Ambulophobia) - fear of walking
    Automysophobia - an abnormal fear of being dirty
    Botanophobia - a fear of plants
    Chlorophobia - An abnormal aversion to green.
    Hylophobia - also known as Xylophobia, Ylophobia, and Dendrophobia, is a psychological disorder defined by an irrational fear of wood, forest or trees.
    Nyctohylophobia - Fear of dark wooded areas
    Orthophobia - Fear of property

These are all extremely rare conditions and anyone suffering from them would most likely not be at Disneyland in the first place. Comatose patients may as well be added to that list. It is an extreme argument to steer around the fact that the park was created as a way for the entire family to have fun together. Yes, they can have fun on thrill rides, but areas like this are equally important so that families with smaller children or those that don’t care for thrill rides can have fun together. If one craves an entire park full of thrill rides, Six Flags is just a short drive north on the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The fact that everyone is up in arms about this is absolutely ridiculous--it's a hypothetical question! Some people like the OP maybe think DL could use another ride or two dedicated to the more thrill-seeking audience, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that...
    There is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion that one would like more thrill rides at Disneyland. However, the other side’s opinion that removing an iconic area like the island to put in a steel behemoth would be a travesty is equally valid.
    You do know that 'children' and 'families' are demographics that include more than just people with infants and toddlers under the height of, say, 40 inches, right?
    And there are rides for them. The areas that were designed without height restrictions don’t need to be touched for that. Again, we shouldn’t remove Space Mountain to put in a nice slow paced dark ride that everyone can enjoy without height or health restrictions.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    See, we will never, ever know. So, if one must be concerned about another's phobias, handicaps, issues, etc....one must be concerned for all....when making ridiculous statements.
    Ya mean like this one?^

• Banned User

Thumbs up Re: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Ya mean like this one?^

Aha! Someone who almost gets it!

And I did spell it correct - Insulaphobia - the fear of islands.

but I suppose we should throw isolophobia there too, but I didn't think it was a proper phobia for an island in a park full of people where the potential for being alone is absent. Mental and emotional isolation, however can be anywhere.

• "What is thy bidding?"

And there is also Pantophobia - The fear of everything!!! . Tom sawyer Island should be just that.."Tom Sawyer Island" I believe an updated Island that fleshes out the Tom Sawyer theme, but keeps the essence of the original concept would be perfect.
    Pirates though, Argh!!! they need to go back to Tortuga....

They could but the steel bohemeth, "Grizzly Gultch/Revitalized Bear Country" behind T mtn. Ranch area... Oh the sound of quality "Cloned" attractions!!! (sith breathing)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    And there is also Pantophobia - The fear of everything!!! . Tom sawyer Island should be just that.."Tom Sawyer Island" I believe an updated Island that fleshes out the Tom Sawyer theme, but keeps the essence of the original concept would be perfect.
    Pirates though, Argh!!! they need to go back to Tortuga....

They could but the steel bohemeth, "Grizzly Gultch/Revitalized Bear Country" behind T mtn. Ranch area... Oh the sound of quality "Cloned" attractions!!! (sith breathing)

Go for it! A fully fleshed out Tom Sawyer theme. Don't forget to add AA's to complete the theme.

imagine Tom and Huck (and I'll quote the book)
    "Say Huck, I know another o' them voices; it's Injun Joe."

"That's so—that murderin' half-breed! I'd ruther they was devils, a dern sight."

and there's plenty more but I won't go "there".

• Minion

And you do know that there are plenty of thrill rides spread over two connected theme parks, right? And that if you want even more, Knott's is right up the street, right? And if you want even more, there's Six Flags an hour beyond that, right?

Again, just because YOU and your kids hate it, doesn't mean the majority of us don't appreciate it for what it is--a quiet respite for parents and one of the few remaining places in the Park where a kid is actually encouraged to use his/her imagination.
    Just as there are plenty of thrill rides across the two parks, there are plenty of non-restrictive experiences as well, therefore your point is void.

• Banned User

Just as there are plenty of thrill rides across the two parks, there are plenty of non-restrictive experiences as well, therefore your point is void.

+1

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion that one would like more thrill rides at Disneyland. However, the other side’s opinion that removing an iconic area like the island to put in a steel behemoth would be a travesty is equally valid.
    And there are rides for them. The areas that were designed without height restrictions don’t need to be touched for that. Again, we shouldn’t remove Space Mountain to put in a nice slow paced dark ride that everyone can enjoy without height or health restrictions.
    ...why does it have to be a steel behemoth? When has Disney ever put in a 'steel behemoth'? I suppose BTMRR is ugly because it's also a thrill ride? Speaking of which, they took out a gentle ride to put in BTMRR...is everyone up in arms about it still, or can we all agree the roller coaster was a solid addition that has become one of the best and most iconic rides in the park?

• Banned User

...why does it have to be a steel behemoth? When has Disney ever put in a 'steel behemoth'? I suppose BTMRR is ugly because it's also a thrill ride? Speaking of which, they took out a gentle ride to put in BTMRR...is everyone up in arms about it still, or can we all agree the roller coaster was a solid addition that has become one of the best and most iconic rides in the park?

Using the words, like steel behemoth is like the media saying assault weapons...

propaganda prose to swing an emotional response.

• Closed Account

there are plenty of non-restrictive experiences as well
    Such as??

• Minion

Such as??
    um...go look at a map. Do you see those rides that don't have a red triangle next to them (the majority of rides)? Yeah, they'd be those...

• Closed Account

When you said "non-restrictive" I thought you meant something where a kid could run around and use their imagination. My bad. Aren't too many of those--except TSI.

• Minion

When you said "non-restrictive" I thought you meant something where a kid could run around and use their imagination. My bad. Aren't too many of those--except TSI.
    Innoventions, Red Wood Forest Challenge Trail (or whatever it's called, that really cool playground across from GRR), the houses in Toontown, the streets in Toontown, etc

• Banned User

That sums that up, pretty much. I think TSI is a bit dated and I would love to see real traffic data (other than- "the rafts were always full when I was there")

its cornball to assume that TSI is a heavy traffic draw based on a 3 minute observation of raft service. Now, if there was a 120 minute wait to ride the raft to the island, that might be a different story, or documentation on how long a visitor actually spends on the island, not including the raft return wait time...

i went ONCE and was bored outta my mind. When there are rides like the Haunted Mansion, BTMRR, PoTC, ETC....on the other side of the river, as a youngster I thought "get me outta here! We have rides to ride!" And that is what Disneyland is about.... Excitement, the rides, the atmosphere and the fun.

Not... "families having fun together". It is part of the whole "about" Disneyland, but not solely that.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast