View Poll Results: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...and let me tell you what *I'd* do!

23 53.49%
  • No...it is completely impossible.

20 46.51%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

• No Disassemble!

Re: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Ok, it's not so much a "Thrill Ride" for all but a kiddie coaster could EASILY fit inside Fort Wilderness. I'm thinking along the lines of a coaster like Knott's "Timberline Twister" only bigger and perhaps higher and of course with appropriate theming.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

DJS, Tyler.
    At what point do you "win" your internet argument? If I go down to some trophy shop and get one made up for each of you, will you guys be happy and just stop?

Steve,
    As before, you speak for many of us who remain silent because you've got the situation under control. Thank you.

• Banned User

See, the thing is... I've tried to highlight the absurdity of it.

The clear answer to the question is YES, they could fit a thrill ride there.

If you are buying me a trophy, make sure it is pure platinum and about 4 ft high, made in America, 33 2 carat diamonds, blood diamonds are ok.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Innoventions, Red Wood Forest Challenge Trail (or whatever it's called, that really cool playground across from GRR), the houses in Toontown, the streets in Toontown, etc
    Leaving aside the DCA area, I would hardly equate Innoventions or the houses and streets (Really? The streets?)of Toontown with TSI. This is a weak comparison.

Oh, and BTW, if you want to attack me personally, by all means please do so publicly, instead of via PM.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    For those laymen reading this out there these translate into:

Aquaphobia - an irrational fear of water
    Insulaphobia (actually spelled Isolophobia) - Fear of solitude, being alone
    Ambulaphobia (actually spelled Ambulophobia) - fear of walking
    Automysophobia - an abnormal fear of being dirty
    Botanophobia - a fear of plants
    Chlorophobia - An abnormal aversion to green.
    Hylophobia - also known as Xylophobia, Ylophobia, and Dendrophobia, is a psychological disorder defined by an irrational fear of wood, forest or trees.
    Nyctohylophobia - Fear of dark wooded areas
    Orthophobia - Fear of property
    I thought of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" when I saw this.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

My sister has Trypophobia....and I kinda do to. But not as much as her.

• ~

Innoventions, Red Wood Forest Challenge Trail (or whatever it's called, that really cool playground across from GRR), the houses in Toontown, the streets in Toontown, etc
    The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is in DCA and isn't as special, well-themed, or immersive as TSI. Innovations and the Toon Town houses are not nearly the same as an outdoor island where the sun is shining, where the fresh air fills your lungs as you wander around, surrounded by nature and wilderness forts, exploring and discovering the island's wonders. They don't allow the same opportunity to utilize your imagination and create your own stories or to unleash the same sense of adventure and exploration that TSI promotes.

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    i went ONCE and was bored outta my mind. When there are rides like the Haunted Mansion, BTMRR, PoTC, ETC....on the other side of the river, as a youngster I thought "get me outta here! We have rides to ride!" And that is what Disneyland is about.... Excitement, the rides, the atmosphere and the fun.

Not... "families having fun together". It is part of the whole "about" Disneyland, but not solely that.
    Of course that's not all it's about. It's about a perfect blend of experiences that tap into our childhood sense of innocence and curiosity, that feed our hunger for adventure and exploration, that transport us to different worlds that prompt us to utilize our imaginations while awakening our sense of passion and wonder and unleashing it into the world. And I think that TSI does a pretty good job at embracing and promoting this perfect blend of curiosity, exploration, immersiveness, and wonder. It gives us the opportunity to explore and discover for ourselves, to create our own stories and experiences instead of having them scripted for us. There is no where else in Disneyland that offers the same experience.

• -

I suppose BTMRR is ugly because it's also a thrill ride? Speaking of which, they took out a gentle ride to put in BTMRR...is everyone up in arms about it still, or can we all agree the roller coaster was a solid addition that has become one of the best and most iconic rides in the park?
    There are plenty of people who miss the Mine Train. It is a shame that it had to go to put in Thunder Mountain. Not that I don’t enjoy Thunder Mountain. It is one of my favorite rides. I just wish there was a way to have both by building Thunder Mountain somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    (Really? The streets?)
    That was my thought, too when I read that. How does one compare exploring tunnels and caves, climbing rocks, going over rope and barrel bridges, and (at one time) exploring a frontier fort to playing in the streets?

Or walking through a glorified Best Buy for that matter.

Not... "families having fun together". It is part of the whole "about" Disneyland, but not solely that.
    While not the only thing that Disneyland is about, it is the main reason that it was constructed. Or was Walt lying when he made that statement?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Do you have kids? Visit the park with kids?
    I have taken my wife and her niece and other family youngsters to the park and guess where they have pulled us.... Innoventions.

maybe when the 30-50 year old were young, the TSI would have been grande fun and adventure.

From my personal experience with kids ranging from 3-15, not ONE has asked to visit that island. And when we did, it was nothing they'd want to do again.

now, from a child's perspective, not YOU as a child... But a child of NOW... The island is outdated and boring. As I said, Innoventions, unfortunately, has been the draw for the kids I know.

Its fun and heartwarming to have such devotional love to something so old and "traditional".

Its also fun to imagine "what if" as a full grown adult.

So what if they throw a thrill ride that sweeps around and touches the island. I'm sure there would be silent outrage and those who would be against it would be more than welcome to give it a whirl or avoid it completely. I'm sure they would not stop visiting the park and some would grumpily vocalize their displeasure with such an attraction. But the screams of glee and happiness would drown out the wails of woe.

• Banned User

There are plenty of people who miss the Mine Train.
    I'm sure they are a minority. I prefer BTMRR and its one of our "destination" rides. Always

While not the only thing that Disneyland is about, it is the main reason that it was constructed. Or was Walt lying when he made that statement?
    He may have said that and that was then. But we are in the now and he is not here with us. Times change, values change, goals change and directions change. The Disney machine knows that families are indeed having fun on their property. They also know, in order to grow and profit, they too must evolve and cater to the "now". Look at the Star Tours model. No one believed a flight simulator could replace a physical "real" and imaginative attraction...yet, it did and even it has evolved into something better.

• -

I'm sure they are a minority. I prefer BTMRR and its one of our "destination" rides. Always
    They are in the minority only because there are so few who remember it. If they were able to keep the Mine Train and add Thunder Mountain, Frontierland would be all the better for it.

He may have said that and that was then. But we are in the now and he is not here with us.
    It doesn’t matter when he said it, the point is that he said it. The reason he had for building the park doesn’t change just because he’s dead.

Times change, values change, goals change and directions change. The Disney machine knows that families are indeed having fun on their property. They also know, in order to grow and profit, they too must evolve and cater to the "now".
    Disney also realizes that they must cater to all demographics in order to maintain growth. When they opened Cars Land, they put in two smaller rides as well as a thrill ride. When Star Tours reopened, they also opened Little Mermaid across the way. The Sun Wheel opened with both swinging and non-swinging gondolas. There has to be something for everyone to do. By limiting the customer base to only those who are over 40 inches, enjoy thrill rides, or can physically tolerate them they would be cutting out an extremely large amount of revenue.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    DJS, Tyler.
    At what point do you "win" your internet argument? If I go down to some trophy shop and get one made up for each of you, will you guys be happy and just stop?

Steve,
    As before, you speak for many of us who remain silent because you've got the situation under control. Thank you.
    Whoa now, don't you think you're taking this a little seriously? This is a discussion board, I'm not trying to 'win', I'm trying to keep a discussion going. Would you like me to give you a trophy for posting what you must think is the be-all end-all of all conversation settlers? Lol, seriously give me a break big man. Relax and just go with it, I'm not taking this too seriously and hopefully neither are the other posters on this board--just trying to have a good time discussing theme parks.

(on a side note, there may be others on DJS's side who are also keeping quiet and whom he is speaking for....that was a weird thing for you to say)

• Banned User

It doesn’t matter when he said it, the point is that he said it. The reason he had for building the park doesn’t change just because he’s dead.
    you are absolutely correct. The reason he built it.. He's dead. Correct. But the park has EVOLVED past his death. That evolution is not controlled by his ghost. So, your statement is correct in regards to what Walt said and that he is dead.

Disney also realizes that they must cater to all demographics in order to maintain growth. When they opened Cars Land, they put in two smaller rides as well as a thrill ride. When Star Tours reopened, they also opened Little Mermaid across the way. The Sun Wheel opened with both swinging and non-swinging gondolas. There has to be something for everyone to do. By limiting the customer base to only those who are over 40 inches, enjoy thrill rides, or can physically tolerate them they would be cutting out an extremely large amount of revenue.
    little mermaid is across from star tours? I'm not aware of this ride.

• Minion

There are plenty of people who miss the Mine Train. It is a shame that it had to go to put in Thunder Mountain. Not that I don’t enjoy Thunder Mountain. It is one of my favorite rides. I just wish there was a way to have both by building Thunder Mountain somewhere else.

That was my thought, too when I read that. How does one compare exploring tunnels and caves, climbing rocks, going over rope and barrel bridges, and (at one time) exploring a frontier fort to playing in the streets?

Or walking through a glorified Best Buy for that matter.

The streets may not compare, but they are non-restrictive experiences that my children, when they were younger, spent a fair amount of time in with their interactive elements.

As to what you said about it being able to be enjoyed by everyone, well here's the thing. Soon, Disneyland's families' children are going to be teenagers who aren't so impressed by Buzz and Pooh and rides like that. Families with older children were certainly included in Walt's speech about the park being for everyone.

• -

little mermaid is across from star tours? I'm not aware of this ride.
    I realize having a doctorate level degree I sometimes use a lot of big words, but I figured anyone familiar enough with the parks to know their layouts would figure out that "across the way" meant across the esplanade.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast