View Poll Results: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...and let me tell you what *I'd* do!

23 53.49%
  • No...it is completely impossible.

20 46.51%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

A question for the Disneyland experts here...I'm curious if there is room (and if it would be logistically possible) for some sort of thrill ride on Tom Sawyer Island.

If you vote "Yes", what would you like to see? Let's see how imaginative everyone is!

Also, please don't derail the thread by posting "I just want to get the pirate stuff out of there" or "I just want them to bring back Ft. Wilderness"....that's been brought up ad nauseum.

Re: Could they fit a thrill ride on Tom Sawyer's Island?

How would you get large numbers of people over there?

The power requirements for a thrill ride typically are enormous. Would require extensive work.

What would happen to Fantasmic? - still a crowd pleaser
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Not really. As mentioned before the only way to get large amounts of people over to the island would be to build a bridge as the rafts take too few people. A bridge would be impossible though seeing as the Columbia and the Mark Twain pass through the waters every few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post

The power requirements for a thrill ride typically are enormous. Would require extensive work.

These questions perfectly support my inquiry! Thanks for posting them...they give people something to think about before answering.

• Not on the Jedi Council

If it was something like the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland, the queue building could be near Thunder Ranch, and the wooden clad tracks would happen to go past/over the island. That's how they used to do it, I think. Whatever went in would have to be more Frontierland than anything else, so some kind of train based ride with a Western theme to it... hate to say it, but if that Lone Ranger movie works, that could very well inspire the ride. and work in some kind of drawbridge that would allow the ROA to still operate.

I tend to basically agree with already been said.

Yes the footprint of a thrill ride could fit on the island, thinking more along the lines of say a toned down tower of terror or something along those lines, you could probably squeeze it on to the island.

Also cables and power could be run under the waterway, it has been down in other capacities around the world before.

That being said there is a host of other logitiscal problems that would probably derail the whole idea.
    First is getting people over there, any kind of investment from disney in a ride means they want people to get excited about it, ride it, and therefore be happy come to the park spend more money ect ect. Having to constantly ferry a very large portion of people over the rivers of america is just not reasonable.

The answer, a bridge, however that would almost certainly not be an appropriate fix because, as someone previously mentioned, there are simply too many large vessels on that waterway that are iconically Disney. Building a bridge would mean they would go, someonthing that will safe to say not happen, second building a bridge that moves, raises, lowers or anything like that would be an expensive undertaking, too expensive.

Finally, it would remove the charm of the island and the boats. Again it is something different, an island that can be explored, a quiet respite from the crowds, a center piece for the boats and the shows. To level it, put a large thrill ride on it and build a bridge would just make it another piece of a park on an island.

Technically, there is room for a substantial ride. Also, a serious proposal was once made by an Imagineer to build a 'smugglers' tunnel/crypt from NOS to Tom Sawyer's Island as part of a plan to further piratize it. It was posted in a thread here once, complete with sketches & research that was done on it. It apparently received some consideration from management at the time, but was seen as too costly, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    a serious proposal was once made by an Imagineer to build a 'smugglers' tunnel/crypt from NOS to Tom Sawyer's Island as part of a plan to further piratize it. It was posted in a thread here once, complete with sketches & research that was done on it.
    Interesting! Anyone have a link to that thread? I'd like to read about it.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    A question for the Disneyland experts here...I'm curious if there is room (and if it would be logistically possible) for some sort of thrill ride on Tom Sawyer Island.

If you vote "Yes", what would you like to see? Let's see how imaginative everyone is!

Also, please don't derail the thread by posting "I just want to get the pirate stuff out of there" or "I just want them to bring back Ft. Wilderness"....that's been brought up ad nauseum.

im sorry no,., it ruin the backdrop for F! and it just wouldn't look scenic and pretty like it is now...it's fine the way it is, ft. wilderness still has a foot in the door their, it's all good, wh fix something that isn't broken

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Interesting! Anyone have a link to that thread? I'd like to read about it.
    In-depth article about Jean Lafitte, New Orleans Square, Haunted Mansion, Tom Sawyer Island, Pirates and the proposed 'tunnel' idea that Imagineer Eddie Sotto came up with: Long-Forgotten
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post

exactly!! besides! they have to change the whole island, and it be a long long long refurb..it be horrible.. ur forgetting that they'd have to shorten the track to fit a thrill ride.. it seems to me that anyone that wants to change disneyland isn't happy with it's current structure as it is and the rides yes disneyland is ever evolving, but it doesn't mean that something so structured as the pirates lair aka tom sawyers island needs to be changed.just a thought that came to head after reading sooo many threads wanting to put in extra stuff in disneyland..

• World of Color

If they would build some sort of ride either a thrill ride or a Natures Wonderland ride they would have to close down the ride early due to Fantasmic

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    In-depth article about Jean Lafitte, New Orleans Square, Haunted Mansion, Tom Sawyer Island, Pirates and the proposed 'tunnel' idea that Imagineer Eddie Sotto came up with: Long-Forgotten
    Fantastic read!!

• formerly very helpful

I just want to get the pirate stuff out of there and I just want them to bring back Ft. Wilderness.

Nah, just kidding. But seriously, my concerns are how would they manage the lines/crowds, and why are we only talking about a thrill ride?

• HYDRA

logistics would kill it
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast